LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone have any of AI's cam only packages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm doing a cam only too(I'm about to start on it..just need to get a few other parts)....for now.

I'd love to do the heads, but just can't afford it right now. I guess, I also like to see how I can get the machine running in steps at a time....it also gives me a hobby to work on.

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-21-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Pocket porting would help, and not be that much more money. With that much taken off the heads, is your intake manifold going to line up ok? Same thickness on the gaskets or thinner?
going to run impala gaskets but you have a good point. I was looking at the bottom of the head i just took off and I am a little confused where there is even room to mill The valve looks like it is damn close to the edge of the head as it is!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 AM

I've been considering both options now that I'm back from vacation, I currently am the record holder for the "bolt-on only" LT1 F-body (11.70 at 114 mph, 1.55 60'). I'd like to take a shot at the "cam only" record but my need for speed is over coming me.

I can see both sides of both stories on it being a waste or not. However it boils down to you budget and your performance goals. A lot of people on here are of the ME TOO line of thinking in that if they read somebody else did it then ME TOO can do it. There are plenty of cars not running up to par because people over simplify how difficult it is to build a quick car. However there are also a few cars out there that are flat out flying for what they have.

CANTONRACER, I'll check my mails maybe we can get those heads over to Lou's Performance Machine and have them checked out prior to my purchase
Old 06-22-2008, 05:51 PM

You guys talking engine (ie horsepower) mods like cams & heads in terms of what somone's 1/4 mile et's are clueless. You need to be looking at SAE corrected dyno #s, and to a lesser degree a car's 1/4 mile MPH. 1/4 mile ET has a lot more to do with driver skill, track prep, DA, car weight, tires, 60ft., suspension, etc, etc. I've seen a car run 12.0 @ 111, and another run 12.5 @ 118 mph...you tell me wich one is making more horsepower, and which one is setup for drag racing?

Anyway, if your goal is a quicker et, then spend the $$$ to setup the car up for drag racing. If your goal is to make more power, then spend the $$$ on hp mods like cam/heads. Lastly, stock LT1 heads do pretty much suck by today standards, so if there is any (money) way, you'd be crazy not to upgrade those while the car is apart and not yet re-tunned.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
You guys talking engine (ie horsepower) mods like cams & heads in terms of what somone's 1/4 mile et's are clueless. You need to be looking at SAE corrected dyno #s, and to a lesser degree a car's 1/4 mile MPH. 1/4 mile ET has a lot more to do with driver skill, track prep, DA, car weight, tires, 60ft., suspension, etc, etc. I've seen a car run 12.0 @ 111, and another run 12.5 @ 118 mph...you tell me wich one is making more horsepower, and which one is setup for drag racing?

Anyway, if your goal is a quicker et, then spend the $$$ to setup the car up for drag racing. If your goal is to make more power, then spend the $$$ on hp mods like cam/heads. Lastly, stock LT1 heads do pretty much suck by today standards, so if there is any (money) way, you'd be crazy not to upgrade those while the car is apart and not yet re-tunned.
To a degree you have a point BUT at the same time there are dyno queens that never perform on track even with suspension and lots of stall. I know my converter costs me MPH BUT it ETs well so it stays. Dynos can be a useful tool but are not te endall measure of an engine.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LT4POWR

A car that is making power will still MPH well. DA and car weight absolutely play a part in it, but unless you're in friggin Colorado a 400rwhp car should not be trapping 111, etc.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 PM

I disagree with the MPH, in many all out performance examples where ET wins races, cars are geared to run out of steam around 1000ft and hang on for the last 320 ft. When your excellerating a heavy car with lower hp its important to get it moving.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM

tom.. what your describing is not the typical setup for a cz28 car.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
To a degree you have a point BUT at the same time there are dyno queens that never perform on track even with suspension and lots of stall. I know my converter costs me MPH BUT it ETs well so it stays. Dynos can be a useful tool but are not te endall measure of an engine.
Yea, the bigger stalled auto cars tend to screw with that (my) outlook a little bit. But, still everyone "should" be able to tell that a 4100lb brick that traps at 113 is making at good amount of power....much more that say a light (3100lb) 5.0 mustang that runs a similar ET/mph. It just bugs me when I see guys throwing around ETs when talking about cams/heads.

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
A car that is making power will still MPH well. DA and car weight absolutely play a part in it, but unless you're in friggin Colorado a 400rwhp car should not be trapping 111, etc.
that's my point

Last edited by LT4POWR; 06-23-2008 at 04:37 PM.