LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

anyone have a hooker aerochamber muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 10:53 PM

I ordered my muffler from JEGS also and had it within a few days... Only the muffler though.

If you have a heavy foot it will sound great early on... It's only really at idle and cruising or slowly accelerating it's fairly tame at first... These of course are only my opinions and you may have a totally different view of it after you have it installed and drive off... But if it ain't loud enough at first, just give it a little time... Some people on here have said a couple of months... I can tell a difference after two weeks and a couple hundred miles.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:53 PM

lol

does it sound like the clip they have on their website? the soundclip i think came from a 5.3L truck.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by lankie_25
lol

does it sound like the clip they have on their website? the soundclip i think came from a 5.3L truck.
I haven't heard that clip, but it sounds a lot better that all the clips I've heard online. Crappy mics + computer speakers =
Old 05-09-2004, 11:23 PM

I'm not so sure about the "breaking in" part. The only thing that could break in is if the muffler has a fiberglass lining in it, and it got covered with carbon. I looked in my aerochamber muffler and there was a small perforated metal portion inside, which leads to the fact that fiberglass might be behind the perforated metal. If that was the case, it could get louder if the perforations in the metal got clogged from the carbon and deposits in the exhaust. Personally, I've run mine for about 800 miles and haven't noticed a change in the sound.

It's quiet at idle and cruising, but once you give it throttle, people know it's not the stock muffler and it sounds GREAT.

Dan
Old 05-10-2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by DonHood
I haven't heard that clip, but it sounds a lot better that all the clips I've heard online. Crappy mics + computer speakers =
My clip is pretty darn accurate to the real thing. And that is with a crappy camcorder mic. Check it out.

Also, straight pipes and no cat make it much louder, if that is what you are looking for. I don't know of anyone who disliked there hooker, except one guy who said it was not loud enough!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Weir
My clip is pretty darn accurate to the real thing. And that is with a crappy camcorder mic. Check it out.

Also, straight pipes and no cat make it much louder, if that is what you are looking for. I don't know of anyone who disliked there hooker, except one guy who said it was not loud enough!
You still didn't factor out my crappy speakers. And I definately love the sound of the Hooker, even if it is a little subdued.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:29 AM

It's really quiet with a cat and stock manifolds. Just a tad louder than stock but it gives a fullness to the sound and makes it deeper. With headers and no cat it gets louder but it's still relatively quiet. Sounds like a mustang with just a catback volume-wise. It's not harsh or raspy though like a borla or flowmaster. IMO its the best sounding setup without going true dual.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:34 AM

Here is mine with the hooker catback.

http://www.auburn.edu/~doddjom/carrev.wmv
Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 AM

Transamdriver,
Tell me a little about your set-up
I am running the 227/233 cam, slp shorties, no cat. I have a hooker muffler coming and I am going to have the shop fab up a cat back. I would be very happy if mine sounds like that..
Brandon
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM

Muffler

Where are you guys getting the Hooker Aerochamber muffler with a 3" inlet and dual outlets for a 95Z. I havn't been able to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt
Old 05-10-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Brandon94Z28
I am running the 227/233 cam, slp shorties, no cat. I have a hooker muffler coming and I am going to have the shop fab up a cat back.
oh yeah, it's gonna be good and loud anywhere from 3,000 up
Old 05-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Brandon94Z28
Transamdriver,
Tell me a little about your set-up
I am running the 227/233 cam, slp shorties, no cat. I have a hooker muffler coming and I am going to have the shop fab up a cat back. I would be very happy if mine sounds like that..
Brandon
CC306 cam, Hooker LTs, Mufflex Y-pipe (no cats), hooker catback.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:21 PM

holy crap that video was awesome lol. thats just crazy with headers and no cats. wow. would anyone happen to have a video or soundclip of one with stock manifolds and cat...
Old 05-10-2004, 11:48 PM

I think I need a bigger cam

lankie_25: I had a vid of my old Z with the hooker on, and it was mostly stock (other than CAI and some stuff that would not effect the sound). Let me see if I can find it.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 PM

Ok, here is a link. Sorry to send you to a Mustang site though

http://media.mustangworks.com/showph...cat=517&page=2

Quick Reply: anyone have a hooker aerochamber muffler?