LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?

Before this turns into "go LE etc etc" I know he does great work, but I like CNC and if it came to hand porting I'd rather do it myself. I've done quite a few heads in my day, but I like the accuracy of cnc and just want to get some info.

Anyone have experience running LPE heads or any other CNC head?

My plan this winter is to either build a forged 383 on a stand to replace my current hyper 355, or just put a good H/C on my current engine.

The car is 97% daily driver and spends 75% of the time in traffic going no faster than 35mph. I'm not looking for insane amount of power, just a fun car to drive on the streets or take to the track when I want to (road course, or drag strip)
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 AM

If that's your goal then why spend 2k for LPE heads? I have an opinion but you said not to use Lloyd as an example. So how about using your skills and do it yourself, and save a boat load of money?

Last edited by Z-RATED94; 10-01-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling-doh
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM

For me, I'm lazy these days but if it comes down to it, I'll open the bottom drawer of my tool cabinet where all my porting tools are and get cracking.

I just wanted to see if anyone had used the LPE heads or any other CNC ported stockers.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
So how about using your skills and do it yourself, and save a boat load of money?
I agree.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Shop that built my engine had a complete catalog of LT1 head flow tests.... same flow bench, same operator, same accessories, etc. The LPE LT4 CNC heads were just about the best "out of the box" heads they had flowed. They were using them to build 1,000+HP forced induction LT1's. I bought a set of heads from CNC Cylinder Heads in Pinellas Park, FL. The intake flow was very good, and when flowed with their matching ported LT4 intake, actually showed a 3% increase in flow. However, the exhaust flow was very poor, due to too much material being hogged out.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 PM

I run LPE "big valve" (2.00/1.56 valves) LT1 heads...Paired with the LPE 211/219 cam I ran high 11s at 115 for a long time...I had E.B. Porting (Eric Bradby) re-port them in 2005 and went with a 226/234 custom cam from Joe Overton and run the times/mph in my sig...Eric sai the LPE heads were very respectable heads unlike others he's gone behind...He found a bit more air...but said the work LPE did looked very good...

No doublt the stuff is pricey...

--Alan
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll just grab a set of cores and get to work. I have all fall/winter to finish them ahaha
Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by sandman2100
Anyone have experience running LPE heads or any other CNC head?
Contrary to popular belief LPE's cylinder head prices are comparable to others. I run the LT4 CNC heads. Ran a best of 12.0 @ 115 w/ a 1.75 60' time. Mods were- LPE LT4 heads/intake, CCHiTech 1.6 rockers, 211/219 cam, LPE hardened pushrods/guideplates, LPE 1.43dia springs, Hooker LT's w/ ORY, 3.73 gears, ET streets, Strange 12-bolt. Car's raceweight was 3750 including stock SS 17" wheels/tires up front and 16" wheels in the back.
With this cam I had a dual cat y-pipe and passed e-check w/ flying colors when OBDII was still required to do a sniffer. The idle was nearly stock and surprised many who I raced.
I've since then built a SR396 and have my LPE heads on this engine. Hasn't been tuned or ran yet, however... It'll be interesting to see if these heads choke the engine or if they'll hold up well. I ran my LPE heads w/ an 847 cam and it was making power past 6200rpm before valve float set in.
If you want all around drivablity w/ decent power the LPE setup works extremely well. It's just a matter of wheither or not you want a stockish sounding idle or something a little more aggressive.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Right now track times to me are just a bonus. I think what I am really after is a useable powerband for mainly a street car. I've had the car since March and I think I have taken it to 5000rpm 3 times in first gear and that was just in the past 2 weeks and I generally shut down before 90mph. High Revs just don't really appeal to me because I just really don't get on the car that much. I like the low end grunt I have now, but just want to up the ante a bit for toting my groceries around.

My 305 cam is not too choppy, but noticeable enough to where I like it. I'm sure it is too small to run on a set of ported heads though.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I bought a set of heads from CNC Cylinder Heads in Pinellas Park, FL. The intake flow was very good, and when flowed with their matching ported LT4 intake, actually showed a 3% increase in flow. However, the exhaust flow was very poor, due to too much material being hogged out.
I'm running the same CNC Cylinder Heads ported LT1 heads,and one of their custom cams. They seem to work pretty well in my car. With a previous small 212/224 521/533 cam, my Y-body was trapping 117 mph. I'm now running another one of Pete's custom cams 224/230 605/622, but haven't been to the track.

Last I heard CNC was out of business.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Contrary to popular belief LPE's cylinder head prices are comparable to others. I run the LT4 CNC heads. Ran a best of 12.0 @ 115 w/ a 1.75 60' time. Mods were- LPE LT4 heads/intake, CCHiTech 1.6 rockers, 211/219 cam, LPE hardened pushrods/guideplates, LPE 1.43dia springs, Hooker LT's w/ ORY, 3.73 gears, ET streets, Strange 12-bolt. Car's raceweight was 3750 including stock SS 17" wheels/tires up front and 16" wheels in the back.
With this cam I had a dual cat y-pipe and passed e-check w/ flying colors when OBDII was still required to do a sniffer. The idle was nearly stock and surprised many who I raced.
I've since then built a SR396 and have my LPE heads on this engine. Hasn't been tuned or ran yet, however... It'll be interesting to see if these heads choke the engine or if they'll hold up well. I ran my LPE heads w/ an 847 cam and it was making power past 6200rpm before valve float set in.
If you want all around drivablity w/ decent power the LPE setup works extremely well. It's just a matter of wheither or not you want a stockish sounding idle or something a little more aggressive.
Cutting edge all the way as far as emissions and a hot set-up. I don't know why the 847 didn't like the springs meant for a 211/219 cam. But what the heck we all make mistakes, live and learn. I'm sure your present combo will be sweet once all the fine tuning is done.
One thing I might point out though, a set of LE2's and the right cam (custom slash small) would probably have the same results and cost a far less, if that fits sandmans bill. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABA383
I had E.B. Porting (Eric Bradby) re-port them in 2005
Eric sai the LPE heads were very respectable heads unlike others he's gone behind...He found a bit more air...but said the work LPE did looked very good...

No doublt the stuff is pricey...

--Alan
The thing about the cnc stuff is most of it does not flow what they "claim" it does. If I'm spending 2 grand I want a good port job. Eric is top notch in my book
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Well, I'm not above sending the heads to someone who knows the LT1 heads. I've ported nothing but 4 and 6cyl chrysler/Mitsu heads. I always made good numbers, but it was after doing a few and learning what worked and what didn't.

Any opinions on AI? I just came across their site today as well and if I'm paying someone to do this, I want to make sure I get all my bases covered.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

you need someone who knows where the power is........you can't just hog them out and hope for the best.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sandman2100
Well, I'm not above sending the heads to someone who knows the LT1 heads. I've ported nothing but 4 and 6cyl chrysler/Mitsu heads. I always made good numbers, but it was after doing a few and learning what worked and what didn't.

Any opinions on AI? I just came across their site today as well and if I'm paying someone to do this, I want to make sure I get all my bases covered.
AI is very respectable within the LT1 community. They have done a lot of great things for our options. Give them a call, i talked to them a couple times, and thats where my heads ended up coming from for my 383 in the garage. everything looked great, and came pretty fast for fully ported trick flow heads

Quick Reply: Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?