LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Cutting edge all the way as far as emissions and a hot set-up. I don't know why the 847 didn't like the springs meant for a 211/219 cam. But what the heck we all make mistakes, live and learn. I'm sure your present combo will be sweet once all the fine tuning is done.
Why are you the way you are?
I understand your longing desire to dig something up, but once again you fail. Crane springs that were suggested by Crane were used for that cam. The setup was hodge podge from the beginning. I knew it and that is why I don't post up dyno numbers or ET's because they don't jive. They actually look very similar to the many LE/BRE setups on the board now.
One thing I might point out though, a set of LE2's and the right cam (custom slash small) would probably have the same results and cost a far less, if that fits sandmans bill. Just my opinion though.
Not sure where you're getting your info, but I have yet to see any concrete evidence that backs that claim up. Perhaps you should look at LE's website and see what their prices are compared?
Did anyone ever teach you how to back up your opinions with logic and reason? I didn't think so. Hey.. if you want to talk smack about my setup then look at it this way... I allegedly spent more than your setup yet I went qucker and faster, in a 6-speed no less, with less accessory mods... a long time ago. So who really spent more?

Last edited by SS RRR; 10-01-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM

AI or Eric are another couple of options as mentioned. I would have no problem sending my spare heads to them when the time comes. But maybe LE econo heads would fit your bill? Make a few phone calls and see. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 AM

Lingenfelter offers the option of having their CNC heads finished out by hand. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Lingenfelter offers the option of having their CNC heads finished out by hand. Best of both worlds.
Thats the way my LPE heads were done back in 1995...Eric was able to find a bit more air, but he said that they were very nice before he started working on them...

--Alan
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 AM

I've been doing some scouting on the "Big 3" porting services;

LPE's heads are $1765 and does not include a cam (cams from them run $280-$350).

LE's packages run from $1100 for the econo H/C package to $2050 for the LE3 H/C combo.

AI's packages start from $1795 and run up to $1975 and come with a cam like the LE packages.

Really it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any of these choices. After reading each site and seeing the results of the cars on this board I just don't see one company having an advantage over the other. I'll probably just roll the dice to see who I go with next spring. lol. However, with the goals that you are looking for in your car I would either just go ahead and do it yourself as stated above or farm it out to a reputable shop in your area. These packages (with the exception of the budget LE) might be a little overkill for your goals. Most of these packages are going to want you to spin it past 6k and aren't going to have the low end punch that you are after. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM

To bring this thread back from the archives, but does anyone have any updates?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinZ
To bring this thread back from the archives, but does anyone have any updates?
updates on what?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Just wanted to see if anybody else, has updates on their LPE-headed cars?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Just wanted to see if anybody else, has updates on their LPE-headed cars?
I know ss rrr went to a solid roller and is still using his........I don't remember what he ran but I saw it run a few times. It was pretty quick.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Its hard to generalize, when the specifics of any given company's heads change over time. I mentioned earlier that the shop that built my engine had a good catalog of LT1 heads results, flowed on their own bench, using identical test conditions, same operator, same fixtures, etc. One thing they noticed with the LPE heads was that the design kept improving. When they tried to duplicate an engine they had built earlier with the LPE LT4 heads (we're talking blown LT1's in the 1,000+ HP range) they were amazed to find out how much the LPE LT4 heads, OUT OF THE BOX had improved over a 3 or 4 year period. You can't judge a set of heads you buy today from one that was sold several years ago. As "dead" as the LT1 engine is, the progress in head porting has been nothing short of amazing.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks Fred. Could you tell me what other "shops" that they used, who out flowed who,etc? I know how some guys say, that flow #'s dont matter, but I was just curious as to who else was on that list and how they did.

I guess it would also help, if I just called LPE and see what they say. Maybe they redesigned their CnC program for the LT1 head...who knows.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Thanks Fred. Could you tell me what other "shops" that they used, who out flowed who,etc? I know how some guys say, that flow #'s dont matter, but I was just curious as to who else was on that list and how they did.

I guess it would also help, if I just called LPE and see what they say. Maybe they redesigned their CnC program for the LT1 head...who knows.
your hung up on the wrong thing......flow does not mean everything. I have heads that flow 260 and will outrun plenty of car with more flow. A buddy has heads that flow 240's and he is 4 tenths faster than me with a 174cc in runner.

Your going to end up real dissapointed after you spend all your money if you think big flow numbers make you fast
Old 10-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Than Im lost(as you can see) I thought, the more air, the more flow..the more power an engine would make. Since I see that is not true, can you explain why? Im not trying to be a smarta$$, Im just trying to learn and to get my facts straight.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned

Than Im lost(as you can see) I thought, the more air, the more flow..the more power an engine would make. Since I see that is not true, can you explain why? Im not trying to be a smarta$$, Im just trying to learn and to get my facts straight.
search the advanced tech section for velocity, head flow, runner volume...terms like that....you will learn alot. be prepared to read
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm running LPE LT4 heads/intake that were bought in 1997. The car has ran a best of 11.79 @ 120.8mph with a 1.9 60' time (3750lb race weight). With a different tire and gear I'm confident the ET will go down and possibly mph go up. Only thing done to the heads for this engine were valve guides and valve pockets massaged for 1.58" OD springs.
Originally Posted by mdacton
search the advanced tech section for velocity, head flow, runner volume...terms like that....you will learn alot. be prepared to read
Volumetric efficiency too.

Quick Reply: Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?