LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone here running LPE CNC heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM

LPE LT4 CNC intake ports circa 1997

Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Thanks Fred. Could you tell me what other "shops" that they used, who out flowed who,etc? I know how some guys say, that flow #'s dont matter, but I was just curious as to who else was on that list and how they did.

I guess it would also help, if I just called LPE and see what they say. Maybe they redesigned their CnC program for the LT1 head...who knows.
As macton already mentioned, its not all about flow. Its also dependent on velocity and swirl. People pay too much attention to the flow at max lift, and tend to ignore the "area under the curve" concept of total flow over the complete cycle of the valve lifting and closing. Another often overlooked concept is flowing the heads WITH the intake manifold bolted up. Can change the results significantly.

Same shop was used by GM High Tech Performance magazine to flow the first set of Arao (Dominion) 4-valve LT1 heads. They outflowed anything they had seen by 50+CFM, but they wouldn't use them on a high $$$$ customer's LT1, because the flow meant nothing.

I could give you the names of the top heads.... but that list is 5-8 years old, and doesn't include anything from LE or AI, because they weren't heard of back then. The best LTx heads they had flowed at that time were a set of Canfields that had about $5000 into them, including moving and changing the angle of the valves. It was probably one of the last set of LTx heads Canfield made. And it wasn't Canfield that reworked the valves. They required custom shaft rocker arms, built by Jesel.

As I already pointed out.... a list done 4 years ago is meaningless today.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-12-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Just wanted to see if anybody else, has updates on their LPE-headed cars?
My car still runs very strong...Some personal issues came up this year and I havent spent much time with the car and have not been at the track, but the damn thing still shocks people on the street all the time...After my broken Bogart wheel deal and now waiting for Greg Weld Motorsports to get the 15x10 rears worked out I've returned the car to stock appearance with the 16x8 stockers and M&H 275 55 R16 DRs...LPE LT1 heads with Eric Bradby's touch, but still with the same LPE double springs and titanium retainers LPE installed in 1995...

--Alan
Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM

Wow, it looks like the LPE is a little better than I originally thought. Since, they are a semi-local company to me (within a half hour drive), I constantly hear the "hype" but just figured that was about it. Mind you that I have been out of the LT1 scene for quite some time and never gotten into the LS1 scene at all. Anyhow, I think I'll have to look them back up when I'm ready for some port work. Not to mention I'll save myself shipping costs too !
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 511ERT
Wow, it looks like the LPE is a little better than I originally thought. Since, they are a semi-local company to me (within a half hour drive), I constantly hear the "hype" but just figured that was about it. Mind you that I have been out of the LT1 scene for quite some time and never gotten into the LS1 scene at all. Anyhow, I think I'll have to look them back up when I'm ready for some port work. Not to mention I'll save myself shipping costs too !
You won't go wrong.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You won't go wrong.
X2...and last I heard they were having a special on LT1/LT4 heads...I think it was $1395 and send them your heads...They also had a bunch of LTX heads stuff on special too, valve springs, titanium retainers, etc...for those who want to buy their own parts or do valve spring upgrades...

--Alan