LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone know how to get CAM dyno tuning in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM

Anyone know how to get CAM dyno tuning in SoCal?

A few of us California F, B and Y Body owners are interested in getting dyno tuning in Southern California by Jeff Creech of Carolina Auto Masters ( http:www.carolinaautomasters.com/ ) and want to know if anyone knows a way to get this caliber of tuning done locally? Driving to North Carolina is a bit impractical for us SoCal guys.

We understand Jeff is considered one of the best dyno tuners in the country (works extensively with one of the board sponsors - Advanced Induction), and we’re hoping he may be convinced, with enough interest, to travel to do some tuning in late October. Anyone else desire a quality tune in Southern California?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Re: Anyone know how to get CAM dyno tuning in SoCal?

If this falls through and you are interested I could tell you about a different guy in CA that is supposed to be good.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If this falls through and you are interested I could tell you about a different guy in CA that is supposed to be good.
Does he have proven results?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Ai

Michael,

I think you'll be hardpressed to beat Jeff - if he wasn't the best we've ever come across, we wouldn't have joined forces with him. Where some tuners may know the basics of tuning, many don't fully understand how an engine actually works. Jeff however actually builds engines & has a fully equipped shop with the industry standard dynojet 248 & full data acquisition. Where most any tuner can adjust air/fuel & timing back & forth and show peak gains, Jeff's understanding of how an engine works helps him really edge out everyone else when it comes to the most important part (and most often ignored) of the tune - part throttle situations. We've re-tuned many cars that were already "tuned" & always seen gains in peak power, but more importantly average hp/tq as well as big driveability gains. If anyone has a cam they think will be 'huge' and undriveable, Jeff can typically improve it's manners to the point that you'll start wanting even more camshaft . Guys without their own dyno just cannot compete, whether it's a hooter's cup car or a daily driver.

In regards to remote tuning, you aren't the first who's flown him around the country to tune, it's a regular occurance, so it's more than do-able, especially if we can line up work for the duration of his stay. For anyone who can't meet up & just wants a mail-order tune, we do that as well & offer free updates as long as you own the car.

If you'd like to get ahold of him you can contact us, or try Jeff@AdvancedInduction.com & we'll see what we can do for you.

Thanks so much,

-Phil
Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 AM

I know where I'm driving once I get my engine all built...
Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ai
If anyone has a cam they think will be 'huge' and undriveable, Jeff can typically improve it's manners to the point that you'll start wanting even more camshaft .
LOL, the tree huggers are already complaining about the cam I've got!

This would be an awesome opportunity for sure.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ai
For anyone who can't meet up & just wants a mail-order tune, we do that as well & offer free updates as long as you own the car.
Which makes it even more appealing.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 PM

I'm interested. Timing sounds about right too. I can recommend a
Superflow shop if needed.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by truedualws6
I'm interested. Timing sounds about right too. I can recommend a
Superflow shop if needed.
Should I pencil you in?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 PM

Just another plug for Jeff, he spent six hours on my car and got a cam in the 230s and 240s to idle as smoothly as stock, albeit at 900 rpm..

There must be someone else on the west coast but for the east he is hard to beat..
Old 09-23-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by J's 82
There must be someone else on the west coast but for the east he is hard to beat..
Nobody with his credentials.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:19 PM

got a cam in the 230s and 240s to idle as smoothly as stock, albeit at 900 rpm..
Wow. I assume driveability is awesome as well?
Old 09-29-2004, 02:25 PM

Results are in my signature...

Jeff not only Tuned my car very, very well (extremely streetable) but he also headed up the Engine Build/Tranny Build/Clutch Install/Etc...

Great Guy to boot...

"MILK DOES AN F-BODY GOOD!"

TIM

Last edited by TDog; 09-29-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 PM

Just another plug for Jeff, ...snip...
That's a strange plug for Jeff, isn't it?

Yes, there is someone on the West coast that is "respected" - and here's what I have to say about it:

I had a local (Charlotte, NC) wrench turner do a heads/cam/headers package for me. He's a former GM factory trained technician, is excellent at what he does and is hard to beat as a mechanic and trouble shooter. But he doesn't do any of his own tuning. He used to use Z-Industries (Ron Zimmerman) in Yorba Linda, CA for his mail order tunes. My PCM was sent back and fourth a couple times to be tweaked, e.g. "fine tuned". I was happy with it and it ran good - no major complaints. After all, it was a mail order tune. And I was told that what I was pulling on the rollers was about all I was going to get out of my combo.

To make a long story short, I took my car to the Milkman (Jeff @ Carolina Auto Masters) to have a new Opti put in and some other maintainence work done. He wanted a shot at seeing what he could do with my combo. He did some base line pulls to be fair and confirm what the car already had. The results of Jeff's tune were 15 more RWHP (can't remember the TQ improvement) and a much more driveable car - not to mention a new best by a tenth. And this is with a car that had over 700 passes down the 1/4 mile on it when Jeff worked on it, but only ~150 when "Z" did the tune. I have no doubt that if the motor was fresher it would have been a bigger improvement.

If you can get enough people together to fly Jeff's butt out to So. Cal. do it - you won't be sorry.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:29 AM

Yepp! Have to agree w/ everyone here!

He made my CC306 and other goodies decently mannerable

You really can't beat Jeff's knowledge w/ an LT1 car, that is for sure. He has
a real knack for finding problems in people's car that are *mysteries*. I know he made a trip to Texas last year....I bet if there was enough interest, he would go to CA

BTW, speaking of comparing him with someone out West.....I have had dealings w/ him and Ed Wright. This is the non-dyno mail order tunes, btw, and Ed couldn't come near Jeff's programming.

Ya can't beat the Milkman

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to get CAM dyno tuning in SoCal?