LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

anyone with TPIS long tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 03:06 PM

anyone with TPIS long tubes?

somehow i managed to burn a hole through my set of jba headers that i can't get to weld shut. i guess i got what i paid for. so it's time to get some new ones. i was just wondering if anyone had a set of the TPIS longtubes. my car has the sportline springs on it and the canton oil pan, so i need a set of headers that will clear the pan and not hang down too low. i've heard the hooker longtubes require some modification to the pan, and will drag pretty bad. my main concern is whether or not they will work with the canton pan without having to move anything on it. i already called tpis and they said they would fit fine with what i have, but i would like to hear from someone who actually has them.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:31 PM

TPIS LT's

I have a set on my car. I love them. They fit geat and both went in from the top. I did have to mod. the #1 tube alittle. Just alittle minor dent to clear the steering shaft. But other than that there great. Been on for about a year and a half now and have not had to change the header gaskets yet nor tighten up the header bolts. And my car is my daily driver. When looking under the car from the side you really can't even see the collectors at all. Ground clearence in not a problem with these. Any other q's, feel free to e-mail me.
Later Brad

Last edited by hotrod18_69; 06-16-2003 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:54 PM

I was looking at these headers when I bought my LT hookers for my 97 and I was wondering about the Y-pipe? Does it come with one or what did you have to do?
Old 06-16-2003, 04:59 PM

they look nice, but compared to the price of jethot longtubes, why would you bother spending another $200+ for TPIS?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:42 PM

Brad, thanks for the input. i know they claim they install from the top but i didn't know if it was actually possible.

the tpis headers have their own y-pipe that you can buy separately. unlike the jethot which based their design to work with the y-pipe that fits on the hookers lt's. so i know they would have major ground clearance issues on a car that's dropped almost 2".

although i may be pursuaded to buy the jethot. anyone know how either of these fit with the canton pan?
Old 06-16-2003, 06:30 PM

I have the tpis lt's also. I love them they were very easy to install from the top and spark plug access is excellent. Like hotrod 18_69 said, the #1 tube needs to be dented a little to clear the steering shaft. Don't bother with their y-pipe, the y collector is more like a t collector. I had mufflex make a custom y pipe and used the cats from the tpis y pipe that I had. Ground clearance is great, you really can't see the header from the side. The y pipe is where you have to watch it though, mainly because of the factory frame rail that is on the driver's side. The y pipe has to clear around this, so you have to be careful not to go too big on the diameter of the y pipe since you said you will lower your car. I just changed my spark plugs and it took 2 hours from the top intead of 6 from the bottom with slp shorties! I don't know about clearing the canton pan though. Give Nick from Nu-tek motorsports a call (419-427-3330). He has tpis headers on his car too and I think he has a canton pan. Hope this helps and sorry for the long post.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 PM

A year ago or so someone on our local MAFB list bought a set and found that they weren't even close to fitting correctly. They returned them and got Hookers. This person was not mechanically inept. Maybe quality is inconsistent?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:05 PM

TPIS is a great palce to buy from. They are a sponsor to the Minnesota f-body club. They have great quality products and they are nice to deal with. I am about to buy from them, I do recomend them a lot