LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone tuning with maft for bigger injectors and stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Anyone tuning with maft for bigger injectors and stuff?

I have a maft and used it quite successfully on my ls1. But having some weird problems in my 96z. I installed 30 pound svo which should require about a 33% leaning on the maft to correct for them but for some reason it seems to only give proper intergrators at like 5 or mabye 10% lean. I am thinking something must be whacked out in the car.They are svo red tops and both sides of the car show near identical integrators..my intergrators go way up to over 160 when try to set the maft where it should be and have to back it down again by richening things way up. If I try to floor the gas quickly
when sitting at idle the car will stall if the maft is set where figure it should be.
I did put on a 52 tb recently and not 100% sure the problems with tuning started after that. My tps is around .78 at idle a bit high maybe. I can still slot it and see what happens.
All my other readings look ok I think..02 move around like they should..
I do seem to be getting no reading from the carbon canister purge system though. And my egr seems to not alway give a reading either. I ordered block off plates for the egr system.

Anyone running a maft and 30 or 36 or 42 injectors with it and on other tuning? Opinions..comments..ideas welcome
Old 10-01-2005, 01:36 AM

Re: Anyone tuning with maft for bigger injectors and stuff?

Update: I tried a new 1le bellow to replace my stock bellow . I put in another maf and another maf translator. The car did the same thing as before. I have to lean the heck out of the car to get the idle to be decent and get the short term integrators to come down. I did notice that have vacuum leak from my 52 BBK as I didn't have proper gasket and reused the stock one. It seems this didn't seal things up well at all. So have ordered a 52 gasket from BBK and will try that and see what happens maybe things will return to normal before this problem started and think it did start with the 52tb.

It appears a bad vacuum leak after the maf can make the car super rich or mabye it makes the car super lean and the computer compensates by going super rich so you have to lean it down to balance it..this stuff gets confusing but right now I have to take my wot dial way way down on my maft to have decent wot performance but have to turn my base dial way way lean to have the idle ok.

Mostly posting this for any of you guys that do run a maft and have similar problems to this.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:09 AM

IMO MAF translators are fine for something like your Talon but fore the f-bodies with a strong aftermarket and readily available real tuning they are a bad idea. At best they allow halfasses fueling tuning not the precision control and spark tuning pcm work delivers. At one point there was an Impala guy that swore by his translator on his heads/cam/spray 11second car, then one way or another he was convinced to try pcmforless and picked up traction problems and 3 tenths. I am not saying pcmforless is specifically that good I am saying real tuning is that much better than a translator. If you don't like what the pcm is doing with sensor info reprogram it to do what you want do not screw with the info.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Proper indepth tuning can be better of course but the translator has one other use which is that no tune no matter how perfect will be optimal depending on big swings in temperature. If you are tuned for a cold day the car may still pick up some knock on a very hot day and if you are tuned for hot day you may not be optimal on a cooler day or with better gas. Tunes are not as cut and dried as you think. This is even more noticeble with turbo cars.
So the maft can be a nice tool for some quick tweaking at the track or whatever but have been waiting for buddy who is supposedly picking up obd2 tunercat ,he already using obd1 tunercat in his car.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned

Your stock MAF will take ya to well over 400RWHP so why screw with something that works.
A mail order tune will do ya more good than ya think.