LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Arcing, but unknown cause. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 AM

Re: well

Originally posted by 97formula1234
I am having the same problem my coil will arch all the time i even bougs a new OEm coil and now a MSD coil still the same problem.

BUT what i have now found out is that a bad wire or connection to the plug or the opti will make the coil arch Because the spark has to go somewhere.

Well anyways i found the somehow my plug wire is arching across my plugs white part to the block. I have not figured it out yet (new wire and plug in place) but i do know for a fact that if u have 1 bad wire the coil will arch...

Send me an email when u get it fixed
Asadler@clintonnursing.com
GOOD INFO. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be putting in new plugs and wires next week, so hopefully that will resolve the problem. I'll let you know!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:13 PM

Well good news. Called Thunder up today, and they're overnighting me some new Spiro-Pro wires and TR55 plugs via Airborne Express for $18 shipping. Those guys at Thunder Racing Rock!!! Hopefully, I'll have a better bead on the problem tomorrow or on Turkey Day!!!!

How sad is that?? I'm going to be wrenching on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93

How sad is that?? I'm going to be wrenching on Thanksgiving.
I will be putting a T-Clamp on my LT Headers on T-Day
Old 11-25-2003, 05:02 PM

Sweet......I'm not the only one!!! Although I may break for a while to watch Dem Boys!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Are you using any MSD system?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:26 PM

Accel 300+. Not the problem.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:59 AM

ive got the same problem right now too.

new wires (including opti to coil)
new plugs

coil arcs with both the stock coil and new accel coil.

a coupe plug wires also arc, but only right at the spark plug, jumping to the block.

this is really pissing me off.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by got_hp?
ive got the same problem right now too.

new wires (including opti to coil)
new plugs

coil arcs with both the stock coil and new accel coil.

a coupe plug wires also arc, but only right at the spark plug, jumping to the block.

this is really pissing me off.
Is your arcing causing a pretty severe down low stumble???

The coil, where is it arcing?? Is it arcing to the block, or is it arcing to the square coil bracket, or other??
Old 11-27-2003, 12:16 PM

Try reducing the gap in the plug. A buddy's 398 had that same issue. It would spark on a few wires and after taking care of that, the coil started sparking. Remember, electricity takes the path of least resistance. So, if the gap is too wide, its gonna arc somewhere else... in your case and my buddy's, the coil.

Going from .050 to .040 worked on my bud's car. Try that on your new set of plugs.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:24 PM

Is your arcing causing a pretty severe down low stumble???

The coil, where is it arcing?? Is it arcing to the block, or is it arcing to the square coil bracket, or other??

it stumbles a tiny bit during cruise under 2000........but not at WOT.

it started out suttle enough that i could barely tell, but its getting worse as the weeks go by.

i had this prob before (stumling but MUCH worse, i mean the car jerked!), but it went away after changing the wires/plugs. now i guess its moved to another area.

i might try gapping the plugs a little smaller like juiced said.

ill be working on it throughout the weekend, so be sure to keep us updated if you find something.

right now im cleaning/checking all my grounds, making sure everything has good contact and no dirt/grime. also took apart the whole coil bracket assembly and cleaned that really well, and putting new dielectric grease on it (the bracket seems to have some sandwiched between the layers from the factory). never hurts to be clean.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Juiced Impala SS
Try reducing the gap in the plug. A buddy's 398 had that same issue. It would spark on a few wires and after taking care of that, the coil started sparking. Remember, electricity takes the path of least resistance. So, if the gap is too wide, its gonna arc somewhere else... in your case and my buddy's, the coil.

Going from .050 to .040 worked on my bud's car. Try that on your new set of plugs.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I do believe that the factory gap was .040 right? Most people I've seen have been using a .050, myself included. However, I noticed when I pulled a couple of plugs that they were closer to about a .055-.060 for some reason. I think my mechanic re-used my plugs for some reason.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:57 PM

That's actually a pretty good idea. I do believe that the factory gap was .040 right? Most people I've seen have been using a .050, myself included. However, I noticed when I pulled a couple of plugs that they were closer to about a .055-.060 for some reason. I think my mechanic re-used my plugs for some reason.
factory was .050 and thats what ive been using.......ill try swapping to .040 on the two plugs that i know are arching, and see if they stop.

no sense in changing them all if it doesnt fix it.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:26 PM

Question Arcing from coil to bracket

Sorry to hijack your post, but I have the same problem. I've gone through 2 MSD Blaster coils and an Accel 300+ coil. It only took a week for the Accel coil to go bad. I also have an MSD 6a ignition box hooked up. I hope these posts can help me out also. Gonna change timing chain, and at same time put new opti on, even though I just changed the opti in July. Forgot to add that the car runs great with factory AC Delco coil, although I still have that arcing problem.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:33 PM

Wow, that's pretty quick for a coil. Maybe the Accel coil wasn't too good of a match for the MSD box???

I'm quite sure that my coils (all three) arent' bad because my other car runs quite fine with any of them.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get started pulling all the old plugs and wires. I'm going to check the resistance and gaps in everything, and hopefully, hopefully, my problem will be fixed.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:09 PM

update

I am to full to do sh*t today
I hope you get it fixed be sure to let us know!

I need a new wire anyone want to mail me a plug wire?

Quick Reply: Arcing, but unknown cause. HELP!!!