LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Attn All Aftermarket Tb/cam People!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Hotwire
if you pull the rubber elbow, look at the space between the throttle bores (blades), you will see a hole that turns down towards the iac. it's sort of recessed back in the throttle body. If you look at mine, you'll see it outright on the BBK throttle body.
BIG PIC, DIAL UP WARNING!!
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...2ab37249&size=

just shoot some down in the hole and you should be alright for the time being till you can get it back apart to oil it better.
cool sprayed some wd-40 down there , didnt really make a difference tho. I have a vacuum leak somewhere I just cant find it. not pcv hose or the one under it. Theres 2 in the back I think ones the fuel pressure regulator , dont know what the other one is . Didnt hear anything comeing from them. I tried using wd-40 to check for leaks last week but found out wd-40 doesnt stall my car out at all !!! Im like hmmmm no leaks then I decide to test it , pull out the opti vent tube spray some wd-40 into the elbow , no idle change at all. Any suggestions ??? I was thinking carb cleaner might do it but is it safe with how flammable it is. I have shorties. Also any other good spots to check ???
Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 AM

I've always used water in a spray bottle, worked on intake manifold gasket leaks. It definitely changes and will start missing/run rougher if it sucks the water in.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:29 PM

If my car is idleing strong with the IAC completely shut then I probably have a leak big enough to suck in enough water to affect the car. I thought water was a big no no in the air intake.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:42 PM

small doses at a time and listening for the rpms to slow. Sure water isn't something you want in your engine all the time but small spray bottle, not firehose, and in small amounts it's not going to kill it or permanently screw it up. Some blower set ups(more old school carburetor-ed ones) use water injection to control detonation). Like I said, not something I'd do for anything but diagnostic work. You need to find the vacuum leak, hitting it with carb cleaner is going to make it race higher of course but I don't really like the fire hazzard. Water will lower the rpms as it gets a whif of it-just stay away from the opti-spark. That's what the shop I worked at did and it worked. Maybe there are other ways but this is just one that works.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:57 PM

cool , Ill give it a try later on and let you guys know. thanks again.
I knew they used water injection to control detonation but if your running enough boost to need it you probably arent as concerned with longevity as you are at dropping seconds of your ET . It only has to run for less than 14 seconds you know hehe.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:43 PM

i use water to break up the carbon in the combustion chambers/valves in all my vehicles. Put some in a squirt bottle and shoot it down the gullet while it's running, the water will basically steam up the carbon and cause it to unstick and blow out the exhaust, works pretty well if you aren't burning oil.

what your thinking of is probably getting too much water or too cold in there, water will not compress like air, your engine will try to compress it and it will become hydro-locked and possibly bend stuff up, but that really only happens if you drive into a lake or crack the block.

I never got out to check my valves, worked 14 hrs saturday and was too tired/too cold outside sunday. I'll get to it soon and let ya'll know what I find.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:09 PM

heh car is acting up , seems the tps is going to wot when Im stopped and in gear and pulses when in idle every now and then , i took out the tps accelerator and now the tps seems dead like .04 volts and 0% nomatter what I do. I pulled the pcm bat fuse and am gonna wait like 10 mins till it resets and see if it comes back on. I was driving around town with the hypertech scanner and the car is doing wierd stuff , baro would start at 104 (which is fine im sealevel) but as I drove it dropped to like 64 ??? . also the tps thing. where is the baro sensor ??? Is it part of the map sensor cuz I cant find it in the manual. I hope my wiring or pcm isnt taking a crap lol. It also seems the comp keeps reseting the blm's or whatever cuz everytime I restart the car the long term fuel thing keeps starting at 0 and its my understanding that it is supposed to remember where it was last time and that shouldnt be hard since the right bank is running rich for some reason. Man these things are tricky.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Before going to the PCM, double check your grounds and make sure they are CLEAN. No corrosion at all. Also make sure they are tight. I like to run sandpaper around the grounds to clean them up then dress them with Di-Electric gease to keep them from oxidizing. Sounds like to many thing going wrong to be just a component or two...

Check grounds and connectors... should be clean.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:01 PM

definitely check your grounds, sounds like something funky is happening. your barometer reading shouldn't change while driving from what I understand. The ecm reads the MAP at startup, at that time your intake should be at atmospheric pressure, therefore the correct reading. that is the ONLY time it should be checking, it, can't check it while the motor is running..

being a outer banks car, I would start w/ all your connections, ohm out the grounds, do wiggle tests etc.

good luck man, sounds like ya got a battle on your hands. It will help if you have the helms service manual (not haynes, chiltons, etc), that will tell you where every ground leads to and connection points so you can determine what ground services what components.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:27 PM

I put my old tps in it (still worked but I slotted the new one) and at first it read voltage and now its gone to .004 also. Ill check the grounds but im probably gonna have to leave the thing at work cuz we got like 30 mins of sunlight left. I have a service manual hopefully that will be pretty helpful. Wish me luck as im outta money and outta luck. I hate the holiday season lol. I also just reset the computer so im not driving it anywhere without a tps as it isnt learning anything !!! Ill keep yall informed.
thanks , Justin
Old 12-16-2003, 10:15 AM

well its running again for the meantime. It seems the orange ring thingie was somehow moving the tps in a way that was either making it loose contact with the throttle shaft or something. I cut it down so it would be easier to squeeze in the hole . What is that stupid orange thing for anyways ??? it dont look like a gasket or anything. I also sanded down the grounds before this , I dont think it did anything but at least I know they are clean now. car is idling alot better now but still must be getting air from somewhere I cant find. I think im gonna get my friend to autotap it and make a log of the map , baro , rpm , tps , and iac sensors , maybe my damn hypertech is broken , It errors every now and then. Plus its like as old as the car and spent its life in the trunk.
thanks , Justin