LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Attn. cz28 lt1 members

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by WS Sick
I see most of your point about the advertising aspect, but Joe was only doing one -off cams, not selling most everything that bolts to the car. Of course I may be off here.

But to just leave because a fe people critisize you I can't imagine.
It doesn't matter how many different items are being sold.

Also, I don't see where he says he is leaving and not coming back. From what I read, it just sounds like he isn't going to be doing cams for people anymore... I didn't get out of that that he wasn't going to be a part of the board anymore.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:47 AM

Re: Attn. cz28 lt1 members

Originally posted by Joes94TA
II'll keep a eye on the board for updates..

Youre right Brent, I looked over this part.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM

well I should keep my nose out of this but what is happening is plain wrong. All the guy is doin is trying to earn a buck so he can live.

vendor

n : someone who exchanges goods or services for money

Im not going to say any names but if you watch the for sale/wtb area you can see people buying things and the turning around and selling them for a profit. Wouldnt they be considered vendors?

Im not sure if he has a registered business, website, etc with what he does and has a company name that i would consider a vendor. But he seems more like a private party to me.

i dont know i guess im just rambling
Old 03-05-2004, 12:09 PM

I guess this explains why the other thread disappeared.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by dnz28
well I should keep my nose out of this but what is happening is plain wrong. All the guy is doin is trying to earn a buck so he can live.
Joe has stated many times that he does what he does for people out of the satisfaction he gets when they call and or e-mail him with results and such, even told me that on the phone yesterday!

some people just dont know when they have a good thing and sometimes it is good to just look at the end results and marvel at it, you cant always know everything about everything
Old 03-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Anyone who gets mad because someone won't share their engine specs needs to grow up. This industry is very competetive as a whole. I know racers that either won't tell you whats in the car or in some cases don't even know because their engine builders don't fully disclose it to them. They asked for something that performed in such a way, and they got it. There is no need for the engine builder (or cam grinder) to disclose information that could give away their secrets. If all Joe wants to give us is a general idea of the cam size, then we have to live with that. I'm sure he would disclose more info when we actually purchased a cam from him.

Anyone with a problem with this needs to find a different site to hang out on.

SO what if he started a tread that showed off what he could do. I bet I see one of these a day. Treads like " my new best", "look at my dyno chart" etc, etc are all over the place. It may have been a sneaky way to drum up more business. SO WHAT!! Start a tread about Loyds heads and see how many people start posting flow and HP numbers. It's the very reason Loyd is now porting a set of heads for me.

I now give up my soap box to whoever want it next.

Seriously guys...Grow up!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by dnz28

vendor

n : someone who exchanges goods or services for money

Im not going to say any names but if you watch the for sale/wtb area you can see people buying things and the turning around and selling them for a profit. Wouldnt they be considered vendors?

Im not sure if he has a registered business, website, etc with what he does and has a company name that i would consider a vendor. But he seems more like a private party to me.

See my post above as to why your definition of vendor does not work here.

Also, if you are seeing people often times buying things and turing around and selling them and they are using this place like eBay, then hit the "report post" button at the bottom of thread post
Old 03-05-2004, 12:22 PM

i know i dont read every post on this site, but in my few months of being registered i have never seen Joe advertise for his cams. people with awesome dyno results come post here, whether they are using one of Joe's grinds or someone elses. is it a rule that you cant post where you got your parts unless they come from a supporting vendor? i can understand rules against a company/person advertising themselves on the boards to take business away from others, but Joe doesnt do that. his publicity comes from people who he has done work for.so he makes a post about some awesome dyno numbers he made with his own profile cam and people are giving him this much crap? it's nothing more than people being jealous(sp?). now because of this, we have driven away one of the premier cam grinders for LT1's. why dont we all give ourselves a round of applause
Old 03-05-2004, 12:25 PM

I got ya brent

Edit: I see why now. Its not really about him it just more of a unfair deal to the paying vendors. But since crane cams is actually doing the grinding for him if they where to become vendor here would he be able to advertise?

Last edited by dnz28; 03-05-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by 96formulaLT1
is it a rule that you cant post where you got your parts unless they come from a supporting vendor?
No, not at all... if that were a rule, this place would go down hill quick People can post all they want, good and bad, about parts and vendors. They don't have to be a paying advertiser to say good/bad things about them

The rule is that you can not create posts about products you offer without being a supporting advertiser. There are some on here who are contributing members who are not supporting advertisers and will sometimes come into already existing threads and say something like "I can do that for you" or something similar. This is often overlooked (at least by me) so long as it is not abused. If somebody wants to post on here all day long helping people out and then somebody asks, for example, "Where can I get a 52mm throttle body" and then a contributing member comes in and says "I can make one for you" then I usually don't say much. But, this doesn't happen very often and when it is abused, it is stopped.

Another thing to remember guys is the rules are not here for us members. The rules are here to protect the vendors who keep this site up and running. The the rules were designed to be best for the members then all group purchases on all messages boards could be talked about and promoted here, all members could promote their custom products here, and all vendors could come in and talk about their specials. But, if all this were allowed, there would be no need to PAY to be a supporting advertiser and with no $$$ to pay for this site there is no site.

This is complicated but just please remember that many of the rules you guys view as "crappy" are in place and enforced for a reason

As for the specifics of this post, I don't know the details so can't comment on those specifics. Sorry.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM

The rule is that you can not create posts about products you offer without being a supporting advertiser. There are some on here who are contributing members who are not supporting advertisers and will sometimes come into already existing threads and say something like "I can do that for you" or something similar.

from what i read of the post (not much admittedly) he was merely posting dyno numbers of a car using a cam he specced. he wasn't saying "OMG BUY A CAM FROM ME! I AM THA BOMB!" i see people post about his cams quite a bit. and when people come and ask about cams, it is usually someone that has had positive results with a grind of his that suggest they use him and give out his info. same thing with Lloyd's heads. i am planning on sticking a cam in my LT1 this summer and wanted to get a custom grind from Joe, and now i'm not going to be able to do that, so now my options are CM and AI really for custom cams. who would have made the most power? who knows, but now you've driven away an experienced LT1 cam grinder that helped people keep ahead of the competition. now that this has gotten extremely off topic, i'd like to push it back on topic and say good luck to you Joe, and i hope you reconsider your decision to stop grinding cams!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 PM

ok guys, my bad, I see where you're coming from about the other supporting vendors feeling put out
-J.Bird
Old 03-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by 96formulaLT1
from what i read of the post (not much admittedly) he was merely posting dyno numbers of a car using a cam he specced. he wasn't saying "OMG BUY A CAM FROM ME! I AM THA BOMB!" i see people post about his cams quite a bit. and when people come and ask about cams, it is usually someone that has had positive results with a grind of his that suggest they use him and give out his info. same thing with Lloyd's heads. i am planning on sticking a cam in my LT1 this summer and wanted to get a custom grind from Joe, and now i'm not going to be able to do that, so now my options are CM and AI really for custom cams. who would have made the most power? who knows, but now you've driven away an experienced LT1 cam grinder that helped people keep ahead of the competition.
Just so we're clear and since you quoted something I wrote, I don't think I drove him away. I'm not even familiar with the topic you are talking about and don't think I even read it? Do you have a link so maybe I can read why I drove him away?

If Joe in fact is no longer going to be a part of the board that will be a big loss. I do not recall seeing problems with what he had been posting so I'm not sure why the controversy over it? I don't read ALL the topics though so maybe another moderator saw it. If that's what happened, I'm sure he had his reasons for doing what he did too. But, like I said, if I did something to drive him away in your eyes, please point me to the post so I can refresh my memory!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:34 PM

i should have clarified, i did not mean to imply that you drove him away (as in stopped providing cams for those of us that really wanted one!) personally, nor did i mean to imply that he was leaving the board, i thought it was made clear in earlier posts that he still plans on being active in this community. the people bashing him in his earlier thread about the 450hp heads/cam car are what drove him away as far as i can figure, i never got to read the whole thread. i'm betting he has other reasons too, but i don't know Joe personally and have no way of finding out really. i believe that thread has been deleted (please correct me if i'm wrong anyone). i'm definately not putting the blame on any one person or group of people, i dont know who said what exactly, and i wouldnt post it if i did, that thread was obviously removed for a reason. i just think it sucks that we lost a very reputable cam grinder.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:44 PM

I'm not going anywhere as far as the forum..the other thread I deleted myself not the moderators... I certainly dont sell cams for a living ..I've owned and run a freight brokerage since 94' which more than enough handles my lifestyle.. Cam designing was purely started by a local here in my area wanting something different a year ago...I ground him a cam and he posted here which was 399 rwhp. Back then people were calling bs and questioning then the dyno and results.Then ofcourse his friend Gary came to me which his really numbers really sparked critizism with the 452 rwhp thread...As all things I accept critizism pretty well considering how far I've come with my own car ..I been accused of using n20 to not running a lt1 block so lets just say I'm used to it..Evidence shown at the thunder shootout with the 30 minute tech I got this past nov. ..so critizism as a whole I can handle....I know i'm not a vendor,so I can see somewhat the conflict there. I guess because its known I done cams for people ..It was automatically assumed when i posted something I thought worth while,As anyone would on here..That it was a sale ploy ..I assure you the cam i used wont make it out of this shop as well as a few others that wont make it past the shop doors.Surely I dont share everything that I can do..now that would be foolish on my part ... As I already stated ,as of now their wont be any arguement since I wont be doing cams, but only for in house..maybe later I will who klnows but for now to eleviate any controversy on here.I'm taking a break, anyhow race season has begun..I'll be pretty busy as it is with my own car...

Quick Reply: Attn. cz28 lt1 members