LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Automatic transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Automatic transmission...

well i got a question, dont know if its normal or not, but here is goes...
i noticed that most of the time when i just stomp down on the pedal to accelerate it doesnt exactly just fly forward, sometimes it kinda feels like bouncy, someone suggested that the transmisson wasnt shifting gears right, what would you guys recommend?

the car has 35k miles, is all stock. would it maybe need an overall tuneup?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Might check your engine and tranny mounts.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grimzors
well i got a question, dont know if its normal or not, but here is goes...
i noticed that most of the time when i just stomp down on the pedal to accelerate it doesnt exactly just fly forward, sometimes it kinda feels like bouncy, someone suggested that the transmisson wasnt shifting gears right, what would you guys recommend?

the car has 35k miles, is all stock. would it maybe need an overall tuneup?
Doesnt sound like a tranny issue to me, especially with the low miles you
have (although anything is possible). Have you checked all fluid levels and
filters? When was the last time you changed plugs / wires and / or had a tune-up?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM

I pretty much just got the car, its less than 2 months old in my hands...., all fluid levels are fine, dont know when the original owner changed the plugs, or any wires, and i dont think its had any tune ups
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

You need to explain what the car is doing more.

I know when i first got my car it had 2:73 gears in it and at sertain speeds when i floored it the car would not down shift and only speed up slowly because of where it was in the RPM's at the time.

A mail order tune, a used rear with 3:73 gears and LT headers made all the difernce in the world
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM

I wouldn't know how to describe it exactly...its kinda like it stutters...when i floor it, at pretty much any speed, im sure someone has encountered it, but they are using different terminology
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM

Kind of sounds like its loading up with fuel. My buddys car did that when he got it because the guy who had it before him had put 30# injectors without tuning it.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 PM

it stutters then it takes off normal???

does it do it from a stop??

i alway want to help out another 93er!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM

yea, well it stutters while takign off for about 2 seconds then it flies.

SSclone, the guy had done NO mods at all on this car, it is bone stock. lol, i know i should, and i want to upgrade everything as much as possible, but i just started a new job, dont got much money in the bank at all, the car really needs new paint so thats first on the list, and im only 18...this car has got me really wanting to get into being a mechanic...i mean my grandfather has been one for about 50+ years and is ASE certified, etc...i havent had the chance to show him the problem yet, hopefully this weekend, but in the meantime i thought you guys could help me out..
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM

You sound alot like me man. Me and my buddy I was talking about are only 17. I know how the "no money" thing goes. My step dad owns a used car lot which got me into mechanics and wanting to work on my own stuff. My family is pretty much a bunch of gear heads..... I hope you get some go fast goodies on that thing soon but with those low miles it sounds like its almost too nice to do anything to. Both of mine were prior salvage so I have nothing to lose.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Optispark...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jboat87
Optispark...

say whaaa? lol

i had to google that one...(sorry guys, mad noob here im still learning
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

Thats the front mount distributor that came on the Lt1s.... It's one of thier biggest weak points.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jboat87
Optispark...
Originally Posted by 1996camaroSSclone
You sound alot like me man. Me and my buddy I was talking about are only 17. I know how the "no money" thing goes. My step dad owns a used car lot which got me into mechanics and wanting to work on my own stuff. My family is pretty much a bunch of gear heads..... I hope you get some go fast goodies on that thing soon but with those low miles it sounds like its almost too nice to do anything to. Both of mine were prior salvage so I have nothing to lose.
i really wanna keep it as stock as possible, just because its rare, but once things start going, or for whatever reason i need to upgrade i have no choice...lol, i could get original parts but thats a pain, and for the money i might as well get upgrades. camaro's can be about alot of diffrent things, to me, its a car that can be kept completely original as a collectors item, and it would be a rarity, since most camaro's are modded out, but at the same time....a camaro is like a personality, each one is diffrent in its own way, even if its got gay altezza lights, lol (no mine does NOT have that,lol )

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission...