LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Automatic vs. six speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Re: Automatic vs. six speed

Originally Posted by disco192
On the issue of people making fun of you... yes, sometimes people might give you crap. I wont. I respect an auto as being faster in a 1/4 mile.

The comment about chicks love stick was kinda a joke, but in all seriousness. He is 16 and in high school. HS girls like stick better. Not a proven fact, but just from my experience. Dont take it personally.

On the issue of gas mileage. If an A4 and an M6 are driven exactly the same, the M6 will almost always get better mileage, especially on the highway due to the more efficient drivetrain and lower cruise RPM. You are not gonna win that argument, but its really not a huge issue. I mean, they ARE sports cars, not Hondas.

Autos are nicer on a rear end. The shock of a clutch drop with sticky tires is what usually kills rear ends at tracks. An auto has a much smoother engagement with the TQ converter providing somewhat of a buffer in the powertrain. Over-reving just comes from a bad driver. Automatics can over-rev too. Try taking an A4 with 3.73s over 130 and tell me how high your RPMs go. It wont shift out of 3rd. Or if something goes wrong, you are up to the descretion of the tranny. I would rather have control.

The 4L60e is a weaker tranny in stock form than the T56. Its been proven many times. You will not see a 400 rwhp 4L60 in stock form. There are quite a few M6 cars with original trannys lasting 150k miles and more that push 400 rwhp and all they need is a stronger clutch. You can take a head/cam A4 and dog on it for about 30 mins and your 3/4 clutch pack will be toast. Its just a more fragile tranny. It just comes with the territory.

And the comment about old women. Be honest. Old women drive autos. That doesnt mean anything about anyone else that drives auto. I was simply stating that sometimes you find a awesome deal for a Z28 from an old woman who didnt ever take it over 3k rpm. You will rarely find one of those deals with a stick. That was a good thing about A4.

Now I dont apreciate all the personal attacks. I respect an auto fully. One of my closest friends has an auto. That car is fun as hell. Ive put more wrench hours into his car than most people on this board. Ive pulled his tranny about 4 times.

I was simply trying to give an unbiased opinion with facts and a little humor. Dont rip my head off because I would choose an M6 over an A4, and i believe everything that I said was in one way or another correct.
Don't pay me any mind really...I usually don't say anything and I rarely care about these arguments....I'm just nursing as hangover from drinking all those beers with my friends yesterday " SUPERBOWLSUNDAY" and I may be a bit grouchy.

you have your valid points...some to me come across as stupid be it they are stupid or not but I see these so often and they have notheing to do with the transmission itself....the old lady comment I am sure rubs a few guys wrong..
yet that old saying goes something like "if it is not true it shoudnt bother you"

It doesnt really..I am just taking up for my car..she's sensitive! LOL

Last edited by BadCo.; 02-07-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:31 PM

a lot of you keep repeating that an auto is quicker in a 1/4 than a stick. this is not entirely accurate.

true, a majority of poorly driven sticks will lose to an equally powered auto, however, a properly shifted stick will beat out a equally powered auto in time and trap speeds. done it many times.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Going by the original post, get a 6 speed and never look back. You will love it.

Dan
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxf
Hey all,

I couldn't find a better area to post this in, so I hope it's okay. If not, please move it to the right spot.

I'm looking into buying an early 4th gen Camaro... It'll be my first one. The car will be a project car over the summer for me and my dad. Both of us drive Saabs right now () and when we finish the Camaro, I'll get to keep it.

Anyways, we're trying to figure out what to get- an automatic or a six speed. I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but the search button yielded no results for me. I'd really like to know what you guys think we should go with.

My goals for the car are like this: We'll most likely build up the engine, but not too much, as this will be our first venture into.. well, the auto world. Some basic bolt ons will follow. After we're "done," this car will be my daily driver. The Saab I have right now is a five speed and I absolutely love it (the fact that it's a stick, not a Saab). I don't know if I could enjoy an automatic as much. But, if an automatic is somehow a lot better than a six speed, then maybe we'll opt to go that route. So.. what is better, overall, an automatic or a stick? Remember, this is specific to the early fourth gen Camaro.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say...
Speaking to the Early 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird, the T56 is still considered a world class transmission to this day. I have, however, heard that 1999+ T56's had some problems and should be avoided. I have not had experience with that problem and am only passing on gossip, so you should check into it before making a buying decision on it. For sure, the '93 to '97 models have a bulletproof 6-speed.

And besides, Real Men (and Women!) Row their Own!!!

You can't beat the fun factor of driving a manual 'Fun Car'... If you drive in gridlock every day, get a 1978 Pontiac Bonneville with an automatic and plenty of room to spread out, and save the 6-speed for when you can open it up on the open road!

The 6-speed is going to be more difficult to get consistent 1/4 mile times out of, but with practice practice practice you'll get there. Especially if you're already used to a manual transmission. But the fun factor makes it all worth it!

So in case I didn't make myself clear, my vote is for the 6-speed!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=350350]

And besides, Real Men (and Women!) Row their Own!!!

QUOTE]

lol this is the type of assinine comments I'm talking about...

if you truly believe this your an idiot!

Last edited by BadCo.; 02-07-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Here is a guy who Actually did a swap from a T56 to an auto, same mods, has dyno numbers and track times

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...t=auto+results
Old 02-07-2005, 08:41 PM

it's not that much more fun..we said more fun NOT that a manual Z IS the only fun...not a big world of a difference in fun factors between a auto and a manual Z..not a big deal!!!!!!!!!!this auto aint exactly a buick!!!!!!!!!!!

once you get out of the boy racer phase of your life your fine with an auto...it is just as fun, just as beautiful.,...and chicks my age dig em to, but only when a man is driving it.

I quit going vroom vroom in the sand with hotwheel cars too, that's a phase in life too...you'll get there

Last edited by BadCo.; 02-07-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLT1_TX
umm...you can get a t56 rebuilt for around 500 bucks with hardend shift keys. tell me how that is more expensive then the motor.

BTW- most 4l60e builds are more then 1000, and are at least twice as frequent as t56 rebuilds, thus being 4 times more expensive in the long run.

-james
T56 rebuild for $500, maybe we don't live on the same planet . Core deposit cost $500 for T56 rebuild. My brother paid $1200 for a rebuild with unlimited 1 year mileage warranty, had to give up his core as well. I researched 4 different companies, and trust me, couldn't find a better deal. There was one deal for $1100, but it had 1 year 12K mile warranty and my brother puts ~20k a year. Even on ebay used T56s with 100k miles still cost $1000, been tracking ebay for a couple months now. Maybe you know a mechanic who can do it for $500 for you, but ~$1200 is a going rebuild rate for T56. You can easily get a used LT1 motor with 100k miles for lees than a $1000. T56s are strong, but when they break, they are expensive.
I don't know anything about 4l60 rebuild prices, but I do know they break more often

Last edited by tanker; 02-07-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM

How old do you have to be before the auto is okay? At 46, the m6 still rules for me. I have the auto in my saturn for those highway drive, the auto in my G. Caravan for carrying the kids around, and the auto in my E150 for towing duties. But for plain old fun, I have the M6 in my firebird (and I did have an auto firebird before this one). I have 4 kids at home, and 2 away from home. I also have 2 grandkids. I quess I've been in my midlife crisis since I was 16.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM

I'm 17 and i like my Auto. My first 3 cars were manual, one being a 450hp 3000gt TT, and yes they are alot of fun, but this is my first auto and i love it. I just sold a 79 camaro that dynoed 345rwtq and had a TH350 built for about 900hp (it ran 10s in the previous car), and even that transmission didnt compare to the stock 4L60E i have. I think and F-body is the only car i would drive with an auto transmission. For me manuals are alot more fun, but an Auto feel so much 'safer' for my engine.

I never missed a gear in the 3000gt, or the porsche 944, a few in the mustang but that was my first. I'm not being cocky i can drive sticks awsomely, but i must say that with a 6 speed i dont know that i could out drive my auto. I have an electronic shift kit (came with the car, i wouldnt buy it) and it will chirp nitto 315s into 2nd with 2.73s. The 4L60E is the greatest automatic transmission ever.

The manuals are more fun, but i was getting 22mpg in the city, and 27mpg on the highway before i descreened my MAF. I got stuck in a 4 hour back up over the Bay Bridge and i still managed to get 21mpg wheni filled up. I dont think that crazy speed freak teen agers need manuals to have fun. I have an auto, im a crazy speed freak, and i can drive manuals, and i love my auto. I find it more fun to shift gears, but i find my auto more practical, and better at it than i would be.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:49 PM

yeah its kinda funny i get into the a4 z and try to push the clutch pedal down,you would think i knew the differece!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 PM

Only draw back to my M6 is if someone calls me and I do need to answer the phone having only one hand to steer and shift can be cumbersome, but I'd rather have the M6.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Or you have a drink from a fast food restaurant in the cupholder. You cannot let go, it will fall out.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:34 AM

if you plan on taking it to the strip somewhat often, go with a built, stalled auto. the majority of the time a stalled auto will spank a stick shift in the quarter mile ( all other things being equal of course). having said that, i have the a4 and wish it was a 6 speed. the manual is just more fun and flexible on the street.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 AM

For most setups, an auto will beat an M6. That is assuming it isnt a stock converted auto w/ 2.73s.

I know a guy with 4.56s, 12 bolt, and a twin disc mcleod. He runs ET drags and pulls consistent 1.6s and can out trap any auto w/ the same power and will almost always pull better ETs.

But thats an extreme setup and isnt common. Then again, if you get a TH400 w/ a 4600 stall with a 9"... thats gonna take all the beating that you throw at it and ask for more and pull better ETs than any manual can.

It just how big you wanna go. Its really what you want out of your car.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. six speed