LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Automatic vs. six speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:04 AM

Re: Automatic vs. six speed

Personally, after driving a stick for so long, shifting is just second nature. Sometimes I shift without really noticing it. I do drive downtown and on the interstates quite a bit and can honestly say that a manual car has never been a burden to me.

As far as racing is concerned, I really can't make it to the track as often as I like. But of the 2 times I've been, its not much different than doing it on a deserted street. As long as you know your car and hit your shift points, you'll be just fine. Can't say that there is much difference between a stick and auto when it comes to racing. I think its just personal preference.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 AM

Swapper here.

If you're serious about racing (strip), get the auto. If you bought the car for fun, get the manual. If you find a deal you can't pass up on an auto (that's what happened to me ), you can always wait till your auto breaks and do a swap like I did
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNC
How old do you have to be before the auto is okay? At 46, the m6 still rules for me. I have the auto in my saturn for those highway drive, the auto in my G. Caravan for carrying the kids around, and the auto in my E150 for towing duties. But for plain old fun, I have the M6 in my firebird (and I did have an auto firebird before this one). I have 4 kids at home, and 2 away from home. I also have 2 grandkids. I quess I've been in my midlife crisis since I was 16.
I don't know...in your case at least 46 yet then I see your confused because you own a Pontiac, Ford, Saturn , AND a dodge so who knows!!! loljk
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53 AM

To be honest. If I had only one car to drive, it would be an auto. Regardless of my age. But as far as having a toy goes, the m6 is great. I did get stuck driving the m6 100 miles day for about a month last year. It was still fun and got over 27mpg. What bothered me most was the cost of those 17" tires that I was wearing out.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:00 AM

What beats them both is the "Automatically Shifted Manual Transmissions" that are popping up in racing, in the more exotic cars, and in some trucks... They use electronics to shift a manual gearbox faster than an automatic transmission! The best of both worlds!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:59 AM

OK just my opinion here:
M6 is really fun, but when you are sitting in traffic personally I dont like it. Where I live, I sit in traffic quite a bit. I would love if my camaro were a stick, but I found my Z that an old woman drove for 40,000 miles, like said before its a car that was barely driven, and never probably taken above 4000 RPMs.
A4 is not as much fun, but if you know what you are doing, and build it right it will be killer on and off the drag strip. I plan on doing a little bracket racing once my camaro is ready, and I would rather have a trans that will be a little more consistant. If this thing shifts anything like my chevelles TH350 when its ready then i would take a auto any day of the week.

Scary fast shifts + a correctly matched converter+ the right gears = REAL FAST CAR

As for what one is better. Neither of them are better. Its all preferance to what you want/like. While the trans is stock, i will wish I had bought a 6speed- UNTIL my a4 is built, but its not every day you can buy a grannied Z28 Camaro either.

Good Luck, there are some killer deals on some cars out there. Make sure whatever you get hasnt been beaten too badly or you may find yourself replacing more parts than you wanted. That is the more important thing than deciding on A4/M6. Dont settle on the first car either, look around to see what is out there get a feel for all kinds of different things, and then decide. You will be much happier in the long run...unless you find that the first one you look at was a factory freak, with low mileage, and you passed it up!