LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Autometer A/f gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Autometer A/f gauge install

I put my Autometer A/F gauge in today and it works supposedly fine but I want your guys thoughts.

I installed it at the PCM using the purple wire (theres a Purp/White also but that for the other side)
I get the sweeping of the gauge during normal driving but when I hit the gas then it reads correctly. (Wide band o2's)

Now I was woundering if I installed it closer to the o2 sensor would I get a better reading and not have the light show or would ity just get worse?
I've read that it wouldnt be as accurate though.

I have the Ultra Lite gauge just so you know.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Re: Autometer A/f gauge install

Originally posted by WhiteThunderZ28
I put my Autometer A/F gauge in today and it works supposedly fine but I want your guys thoughts.

I installed it at the PCM using the purple wire (theres a Purp/White also but that for the other side)
I get the sweeping of the gauge during normal driving but when I hit the gas then it reads correctly. (Wide band o2's)

Now I was woundering if I installed it closer to the o2 sensor would I get a better reading and not have the light show or would ity just get worse?
I've read that it wouldnt be as accurate though.

I have the Ultra Lite gauge just so you know.
When the engine is at part throttle, and in closed loop, it is entirely normal for the A/F meter reading to sweep continuously back and forth between rich and lean. That is the nature of closed loop control. It is only when you go WOT, and the O2 sensors are dropped out of the control loop, and the A/F ratio is richened by the power enrichment (PE) mode, that the O2 sensor will stabilize and read "rich".

In effect, the gauge is little more than a psychedlic light show.

Why do you think you have "wide band O2's"? You don't unless you are running an aftermarket engine management computer, with a pair of $350 sensors. And, an AutoMeter A/F gauge wouldn't work with those sensors, because wide-bands have a 0-5V signal range, and the AutoMeter is looking for a 0-1V signal from your stock, narrow-band sensors.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM

Sorry I meant narrow band sensors, I got ahead of myself... I had a 12 hr long day.