LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

autometer sending gauge install help help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:20 PM

autometer sending gauge install help help

Essentially the autometer mechanical water temp gauge will not fit inside the original sensor location, located in the driver side head between the first two cylinders. All I need to know is what piece I need to buy in order for this to work. Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 PM

i have this same problem actually, so ill be looking forward to hearing answers as well.

the thermostat housing comes with a hole tapped into it but it is plugged, is that the same size hole as your fitting? you should check that out as a possibility, just run the temp gauge from there and just plug the head
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 PM

The solution is to use the following website and order a;

1074-3/8NPT
3/8 NPT Mechanical Temperature Gauge Adapter/Extender

The Stewart Warner part number is 428819-F - number appears on the box, 3/8's NPT.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1074

Unfortunately with shipping it comes to over $20. However it works perfectly.

The other thing that I can add to this thread is that the autometer mechanic gauge is ridiculously short if one wants to mount the gauge somewhere near the center console while utilizing the hole in the firewall behind the PCM. Apparently there is another place to mount the sending unit in the passenger side head, which I have not discovered because of all the crap on that side . I am going to be ambitious and drill a hole in the firewall on the driver side in order to mount the gauge near the cigarette lighter.

So the bottom line is the autometer mechanic temp gauge will not work as it comes in the box. Buy the above adapter and it should work fine. The length of the gauge wire is way too short to mount anywhere comfortably, and this should be taken into consideration when buying the gauge.

Last edited by rasputin; 12-08-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

A mechanical gauge will not have a wire. What wire is too short? Do you mean the capillary tube that permanently connects the temperature sensing bulb to the gauge is too short? Did you consider using an electronic gauge, with a sensor small enough to screw into the plugged hole (between #6 and #8 - same head used both sides, so the hole ends up toward the back on the passenger side) on the passenger side?