LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AWESOME JeG's TORQUE ARM* better then BMR kind of like MAC

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:43 AM

Lightbulb AWESOME JeG's TORQUE ARM* better then BMR kind of like MAC

I allways had summit before and i got a JEGS the other day. I found that they have a TORQUE arm relocator! ! !

TORQUE ARMS JEGSTER
Camaro and Firebird 1982-02
#550-40097....w/adj. pinion NEW! $304.99 (non adj $259.99)

This system enhances performance by reducing axle hop. Improves traction and acceleration by maintainging tire contact with the road. Allows you to swap transmissions, and easily installs with no welding. Includes all mounting hardware and instructions.

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!! Double adjustable and about half as expensive as a spohn. Although you have to buy your own weld in drive shaft loops you can get them for about $20.00 fabbed so its not a bad trade off. It is a lot like the bolt in MAC kit but more versitile. the problem with the mac kit would be the mounting tunnel brace. it is clumsy and too large for oversized exhaust and thick driveshafts close by.
The JEGS one looks like the mounting plate is not as deep or tall and the brackets arent present inside the brace like the MAC arm.

I think I might get this. I know i could easily run high tens with it. there are sphericle rod ends for NO deflection. I think I am going to go this route instead of SPOHN and buy a CAM kit instead with the money. ! !!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM

That design looks wrong. The tunnel is not strong enough and will flex under extreme acceleration. The BMR model will bolt on the tunnel AND will weld into the SFC's. I would gladly spend the $20 more on the BMR.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Re: AWESOME JeG's TORQUE ARM* better then BMR kind of like MAC

Originally posted by djk19
....TORQUE ARMS JEGSTER
Camaro and Firebird 1982-02
#550-40097....w/adj. pinion NEW! $304.99 (non adj $259.99)

This system enhances performance by reducing axle hop. Improves traction and acceleration by maintainging tire contact with the road. Allows you to swap transmissions, and easily installs with no welding. Includes all mounting hardware and instructions.

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!! Double adjustable and about half as expensive as a spohn.
This must be the "new math" I've been hearing about... $375 for the Spohn, $305 for the JEG's. $70 difference = 23% more expensive, not double. If you've ever seen a Spohn product, you know the quality is unexcelled.

And the design doesn't look very good to me. The "big dogs" are using longer TA's for 1.2x - 1.3x 60-ft times.... not aware of anyone using a "2/3 length" TA. Madman uses his own TA for 1.2x 60-ft's in a car running mid-8's. Baxter uses the Spohn TA for 1.3x 60-fts, also running 8.7@160mph.

Spohn tried the "slider" design - what JEG's is pushing - and they failed in many high HP applications.... he gave up on the "slider" at least 3 years ago.

I think I am going to go this route instead of SPOHN and buy a CAM kit instead with the money. ! !!
Where can I get a cam kit for $70
Old 05-03-2004, 12:37 PM

Once you have a spohn tourque arm in your hand, you just don't go back, its one beefy motha.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 PM

heh....

I just insatlled the Jegs one you are talking about this weekend.

For those of you who don't think the trans tunnel will hold, it will. The plate that blots up in there is pretty big and held in by like 14 bolts.

There are some "big dogs" that I know of that are running this arm and seeing sub 10 second slips with 60 foots in the 1.4 range.

BUT: I suggest getting a different arm simply because the install was a major PITA. However, he is correct that if you are going to get a weld in shortened unit, you will pay significantly more than this one costs. If you go with the type that mounts to the tailshaft, you risk breaking your trans.

This was the single best traction mod I have done to date though.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:46 PM

What????

Quote:
I think I might get this. I know i could easily run high tens with it.

SILV. 95 Z $$$DROP-TOP$$$- WOLF'S 4P chro-mo construction rollbar, BMR STB, 98+brakes, slotted rotors, S.C.R. subframes - l.c.a.'s and p.h. bar, front c.a. bushings, Tubular Upper C.A.s, G.C. coilovers, Air bags, Bilsteins, SPOHN Torque Arm, dropped l.c.a.s, 3.73 gears, high performance posi, T/A Girdle, Thin Spoke C5 spinnin, Alum. D.S., Custom cold air, T.B. pass. and Air Foil, 160 thermo , Computer, MSD 6AL w/blaster coil, 8mm wires, BBK swept Shorties, 3" H.F. CAT, 3" S.S. exh., 3" remote powerplate

When are you planning on running high tens with this setup??? Is your sig missing somehting???
Old 05-03-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Pasky
Once you have a spohn tourque arm in your hand, you just don't go back, its one beefy motha.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 PM

Me and my Brother have Spohn TA's to me there Quality is second to none. Our traction seemed to diminish as well.

to Spohn
Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 PM

I assume you mean traction problems...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:42 PM

Spohn rocks... ohh... take another $10 off the price difference. Spohn includes the angle finder with his arm. And the powder coating is faultless. Ohh... if you get the rod-end, Spohn uses QA1 top of the line Kevlar-lined ends.

What is a "double adjustable" torque arm? Maybe JEG's does have something different.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:46 PM

My Spohn unit is of excellent quality and completely worth the price IMO. It's also nice having the crossmember not being welded in so that you can do trans-swaps and such without a big bar stuck in your way. Also, I've been told that the shorter bars such as this are much more wheelie-prone.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Spohn, nuff said!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up

YOU KNOW WHAT???

YOUR RIGHT The spohn Bare with the steel option instead of chrome-alloy with the two drive shaft loops. it is close to the same price and much better quality. I am going to get the bare spoohn and install aftermarket loops that can be custom so I can have more versatility AWESOME
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 PM

spohn here, very nice products.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:14 AM

Well which is the best one to get, the one that mounts to the tranny (like the stocker), or the one which mounts to the crossmember?????? Now im confused on these things.

Quick Reply: AWESOME JeG's TORQUE ARM* better then BMR kind of like MAC