LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

B4C Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 04:30 PM

The newer B4C Camaros are standard Z28's without badges. My neighboor drives one for the State Patrol. I love all of the talk about chips. Especially from the Mustang guys they really think there old patrol Mustangs are something!
Old 09-07-2003, 12:11 PM

Dan Oldham, I have another - a dk purple '95 B4C with 19K miles on it now. Never in service.

Maybe we should start a club...
Old 09-07-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by RKB4C
Dan Oldham, I have another - a dk purple '95 B4C with 19K miles on it now. Never in service.

that be a mighty rare car you have there....
Old 09-07-2003, 12:23 PM

I think so... especially in purple with an M6, leather, and hardtop!

Total of ALL B4C's in 1995 = 310!

It's all stock. I thought about taking it for some mods but decided to keep it stock.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:46 PM

For 2002 (and I suspect the other years with LS1s, but I'm not sure of them), the only difference between the Z and the B4C was the badges delete, color matched top, 1LE lower control arms, and the options were packaged differently. You could get leather, and could not get T-tops on the B4C. 125 of the 2002s were M6 equipped.
Same alternator, same engine and programming, brakes, etc. B4C is a package for the Camaro though, and does not have Z28 on the option code list on the door panel.
Scott Settlemire confirmed the above. Since I had both, and was curious, I went over both build sheets with a microscope. As I should have expected, Scott was right.
Just recently sold the loaded Silver M6 B4C. Only had 38 miles on it.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:49 PM

I'm afraid to ask how much you sold it for....
Old 09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ArrestMeRedZ
For 2002 (and I suspect the other years with LS1s, but I'm not sure of them), the only difference between the Z and the B4C was the badges delete, color matched top, 1LE lower control arms, and the options were packaged differently. You could get leather, and could not get T-tops on the B4C. 125 of the 2002s were M6 equipped.
Same alternator, same engine and programming, brakes, etc. B4C is a package for the Camaro though, and does not have Z28 on the option code list on the door panel.
Scott Settlemire confirmed the above. Since I had both, and was curious, I went over both build sheets with a microscope. As I should have expected, Scott was right.
Just recently sold the loaded Silver M6 B4C. Only had 38 miles on it.
Actually, ArrestMeRed, you couldn't get the B4C with leather. The B4C was only available with the standard cloth interior. However, they may have changed that since the 1994 model year. What's really cool is if you have one with an M6. The majority of B4Cs were equipped with the A4.

RKB4C postsan Oldham, I have another - a dk purple '95 B4C with 19K miles on it now. Never in service.

Sounds like a plan, RKB4C. If you're interested, just shoot me an email at RatedZ@aol.com or HotCammedB4C@aol.com.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:01 PM

My '95 B4C is an M6 with leather, too!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:01 PM

Not trying to start a war, but the Camaro White Book says leather wasn't an available option for the B4C package, '95 thru '97.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:12 PM

Well, this car came with every piece of paper to authenticate the B4C which you could imagine - build sheet, sticker, dealer invoice, etc. etc.

I'm sure most police depts wouldn't order the leather but the guy who originally purchased mine did!

Next time you're in the Chicago area, stop by to see it.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:33 PM

B4C Pkg (according to my sticker) consists of:

5.7 Liter V8
6 spd manual
A/C
dual exhaust
16" alum wheels
P245/50ZR16 S/B rad tires
4 wheel disc brakes
engine oil cooler
limited slip rear axle
3.42 rear axle ratio
140 amp alternator
ride and handling suspension system

Add to that other options:

delco-bose
LEATHER BUCKET SEATS (option 122 - graphite leather)
p/w
power driver side seat
cruise
pdl
rwd
keyless remote
twin elect sport mirrors
fog lamps
body side moldings
power hatch release
carpeted floor mats

Same options show up on build sheet and GM vehicle inquiry sheet (which the dealer ran for my VIN# when I first had some fluids changed out.

So you're right - leather wasn't part of B4C package - but that doesn't mean you couldn't get leather --- if you could get one at all!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:51 PM

I souldn't have made that post. If you have the documention, then it's real. I had also heard a private citizen couldn't get a B4C, and also have heard the opposite, depending on the dealer. Another questionable point was the 6-speed. Obviously a cop wouldn't want manual, having enough things on his mind during a chase. It all comes back to the private citizen being able to order one of these packages, which I think is positive.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by anaik
I souldn't have made that post. If you have the documention, then it's real. I had also heard a private citizen couldn't get a B4C, and also have heard the opposite, depending on the dealer. Another questionable point was the 6-speed. Obviously a cop wouldn't want manual, having enough things on his mind during a chase. It all comes back to the private citizen being able to order one of these packages, which I think is positive.
You heard correctly as far as a private citizen not being able to obtain a brand new B4C, HOWEVER, some dealers would order them, which would also subject them to a fine of at least $10,000 IF they were to get caught.

I purchased mine used with 28,400 miles on it. Mine was never in service. I thought about purchasing a 2002 model, but if I were to get a 2002 Camaro, I would have wanted T-Tops. Obviously, that would leave out the option of getting a B4C.

The ONLY ways to get B4Cs brand new is if for some reason a particular law enforcement agency can't take delivery (for whatever reason). In this case, the cars ARE sold as new cars on dealership lots.

B4Cs aren't commonplace for the public to own, but it's not as difficult to obtain one as you may think. You could get them on "used car" lots, or you can also get them at police auctions. For matter of fact, a 1996 B4C just auctioned off in Michigan, I believe it was, at $3500. HOWEVER, this car was obviously in service. In this case, it probably had the stuffing beat out of it, but on the other hand, law enforcement cars are pretty well-maintained, as they obviously need to be.

My B4C currently has 141,600 miles on it. It's obviously got some little niggling problems, but that's to be expected with that many miles on it. That's okay though, because I love the car! "Rare" or not, the car was meant to be driven, and that's exactly what I'm going to do with it!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:23 PM

No problem with your post...

I also have a 1994/1995 "Popular Mechanics" article about these "Cop Cars". It basically challenged a private citizen to try to get a B4C 'cause the article said "it couldn't be done, you had to have a fleet # to order!"

The previous owner took that as a challenge, went dealer-to-dealer, almost gave up and bought a Z28, until he was tipped off and told whom to order from.

He would have bought t-tops, too, but was afraid the deal would be questioned by GM and fall through.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:17 PM

I have an 02 B4C, M6. My dealer just ordered 7 for the state police when they only needed 6. Let me know if a club gets started.

Quick Reply: B4C Police Interceptor