LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bad gas??? how do I drain the tank? please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:53 PM

Bad gas??? how do I drain the tank? please help

cars has been running great, untill today,

I was on E so i filled up with 10 gals on 93 octain Shell gas. pulled out of the gas station and immediatly to a long light,

while after about 40 secs of being at the red light the idle be came rough and started to pop in the exhuast. now urs very rough, lots of surging, tons of lost power, and feels like its gunna blow up anytime theres advance in the timing (during acceleration)

im pretty sure its the gas, the only other thing would be like on opti, 02s or something, and that just to much of a coinsidence to happen with in a minute of a fillup.

I dont wanna buy like $60 worth of octain booster and water eater additive for my gas, the cheapest way it to just drain it and fill it back up. only thing is how???

i tryed siphoning, didn't work and i tried unplugging the fuel filter and turning the key to on, but it only spray fuel for maybe 2 secs.

what do you guys recomend?

is there anything i can do about shell? yell at them or something

NEW STUFF: PLEASE READ THIS OR GO TO THE LAST POST:

Drained tank totally dry, filled back up with known good gas.

Car still sux, no change

i guess i am gunna get my hands on a new fuel filter and a fuel pressure gauge... this sucks

one thing i dont understand is... if the fuel pump is bad, and only suplying 10-20psi or so, that would expalin why it is sooo rough as i get closer to WOT....running to lean, runs chitty. BUT, Why would my car "POP" all the time?? like mostly i am driving it around below 3k rpm, when i shift, nearly everytime it backfires....????? help??

Last edited by Acct 23749; 09-27-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:34 PM

There should be a test port for the fuel pump that you can jump to energize the fuel pump.
Here's a pic of it from shoebox' page:
http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/fuel_pump_prime.jpg
Unhook the fuel line at the fuel filter, and put a container under there, then make a 12 volt fused source using the above pictured connector, and it'll start the pump.
It'll run it as long as you power it..
Old 09-25-2003, 11:37 PM

Are you absolutely sure it's the gas. Shell is supposed to be good gas. You should ask them how full there tanks were when you filled up. There is a Pump prime connector that you can jumper 12 v to keep it running but I'm not exactly sure of it's location. Its probably around the fuel rail somwhere.

*edit*Mtrhds94Z beat me too it while I was looking for the location.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:42 PM

Be careful and don't cause any sparks by all those gas fumes.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:05 AM

if you wanna syphon the tank cant you use on of those vacum pumps, the ones where you squesse the handles like a million times
Old 09-26-2003, 01:17 AM

ill take the gas if u dont want it LOL

ive noticed that my car runs better on shell gas... but of course my car is a carburated 305
Old 09-26-2003, 07:20 AM

I thought I had some bad gas once. After filling up, the car started hesitating, had a miss, and would not accelerate as usual. It was the fuel pump. Do a pressure test on the fuel pump first to eliminate that possibility.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by moparman
I thought I had some bad gas once. After filling up, the car started hesitating, had a miss, and would not accelerate as usual. It was the fuel pump. Do a pressure test on the fuel pump first to eliminate that possibility.
Ditto, I had the same thing happen to my car at 72k miles. Filled the car up from E, ran fine for a few minutes and then crapped out. I thought I'd just gotten bad gas. A tow to the dealer and $850 later I had a new fuel pump. BTW, the dealer said that the fuel pressure was like 8psi. My car ran GREAT after that was replaced, better than it had in the previous 15k miles. Guess the pump was just getting weaker and weaker.

Sorry to say, but my bet is on your fuel pump...

Last edited by BitCypher; 09-26-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Eastbay F-Body
ill take the gas if u dont want it LOL

ive got second dibs on it. how much is shipping to 76667.

you pm me if you like with a price. im sure we can work something out.

i do want it next day air becuase im getting low.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 AM

No one here really seems to think its bad gas??? i do a seach on bad gas and found other people with the same symptoms and most people said it was prolly bad gas

???? ??????
Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by camarossguy2
No one here really seems to think its bad gas??? i do a seach on bad gas and found other people with the same symptoms and most people said it was prolly bad gas

???? ??????
For your sake, I hope it is indeed bad gas. First thing I would do is test the fuel-pressure, as mentioned above. After that you can feel more comfortable in thinking you got a "case of bad gas".
Old 09-26-2003, 11:28 AM

First, check your fuel pressure. Your described problems are exact symptoms of a fuel pump gone bad.

The tank can be siphoned, just takes a little bit of patience to get the hose in all the way. Just siphoned my twice last weekend.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:19 PM

You need to find out for sure your fuel pump is ok pretty quickly. If the gas station had water in their tanks, THEY are resposible for fixing your car. At least that is the way it is where I live. So dont waste a lot of your time or money on it if it is something they caused. make them pay you for your trouble.

just my $.02

Jason
Old 09-26-2003, 03:50 PM

I went to complain to shell today and he said they just had an inspection and showed me a print out that showed they had now water in the tanks.

but i mean, ppl get bad gas...if it only happend when the printout shows that there IS water in that tanks, then it wouldn't ever happen right?? who the hell would see gas full knowing that it was bad?

so that doesn't mean much to me

I put a water additive and octain additive in there and it helped marginally.

I will check my fuel pressure i guess
Old 09-26-2003, 04:59 PM

I've gotten bad gas a year ago once. About 2min. after filling up the car all of sudden shut off while driving. Let it sit for a second, fired right back up, drove some more, shut off. This kept going for a while and then it just stopped shutting off but it didn't sound quite right. Wasn't running real good either. I kept trying to replace/fix stuff and through test driving I was down to about a half tank since I didn't completly fill it in the first place. I put some new gas in and almost instantly the car seemed to be better. Burnt that stuff away and filled up a full fresh tank and it was as good as new.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Bad gas??? how do I drain the tank? please help