LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Bad starter?

Alright i'm a newb to LT1s and V8s in general so i figured id ask you first before i go one rampage and tear stuff out.
Well the reason i think its the starter is because the car barealy srart. When you insert the key and crank it it slowly rises to like 1100 or 1200 RPM and then goes back down to just a little below 1000. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to strat it, which is no biggie for me, but still kinda annoying. And i can always just give it a little gas at it will all be good. Its not thorwing any codes either, just incase you were wondering.

If you think its the starter motor, how hard is it to replace it for someone who has never done it on LT1s? and how much for a new one?

I started having all sort of weird problems as i got to florida. First my car was missfiring (thats the second car it happened to when i drove it thru florida) So i was gonna change plugs and wires like i did on my other car and hope it would run fine. Then i put 93 in it and it now runs fine, but now i got this new problem. Cant wait til i go back to Jersey, everything worked fine there.

Well thanks for your help guys.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Re: Bad starter?

Doesn't sound like the starter. Usually when the starter goes out it either starts to drag and makes a horrible noise when trying to start the car or it just wont even turn over. Mine made a click noise when it went out. You might wanna check the fuel pressure and see where its at. Long starts are gernerally fuel-related problems. My car has a long start and almost always requires 2 attempts for it to start. Your fuel pump could be on its way out. I've narrowed my problem down to that. Goodluck!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Does the starter seem pretty strong? If it is cranking over 1k everything should be fine. But if it seems sluggish or struggling I would check your major grounds first. Pull them off and scotch-brite the terminal and the contact point. Especially check the negative battery terminal and where the negative cable connects to the frame, also do the starter ground. Do this before you even have your battery checked.

I'd check the ignition next especially if you suspect a problem there. Pull the easiest plug you can and check to see if it's fouled. Turn over the engine with the plug touching the block to check for a good spark. Smell for fuel at the same time. If it's time to replace plugs/wires go ahead and do that, I find most problems are ignition related with all cars- not to mention we have the optispark to deal with.

If all else fails, have the fuel pressure checked before you spend the money on a new pump. Starters are easy to replace, just be safe working underneath the car. Rebuilt starters and alternators are one of the few things I purchase from major autoparts stores. They run around $100 after the core charge and often come with a lifetime warranty. GM can't match that. Pick up a Haynes manual while you're there.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM
tc3

if it starts quicker when pedel is depressed isnt that a leaky injector flooding the engine?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Could be, but I would still look at the ignition first. If the spark isn't up to par the engine will flood after turning over too many times leading to the same problem.

It is something to add to the list though.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Well thanks guys i went to a shop, they did an electric test on my car and my battery ended up being bad So it got replaced with a brand new one and everything works fine now.

Ryan 97 Ram Air T/A - so if its cranks over 1k its fine? weird i guess im still living in my 4banger world - on a start up it would fly to like 3k

Well thanks for the help guys i appriciate it.