LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Balancer questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Balancer questions

Ok, i have a 94 LT1 i just had rebuilt and balanced at a machine shop. The motor was out of a Fbody and was balanced with that balancer and flywheel on it. I have already bought corvette accessories because they will let me keep my air conditioning when i put the motor into my 91, but i do not have the corvette balancer.

I have 2 questions. First, do they make some kind of spacer i could use to move the stock fbody balancer out far enough to enable use with vette accessories?

If not, can i use a stock 94 vette hub, or will it screw with the balance?

Thanks,

Jake
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

It won't mess the balance up b/c its zero balanced/nuetral balanced.

ATI sells spacers for the hub, or if you look at theres you can make one, I would just buy it and not waste my time.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM

I cant seem to find the spacer by ati, can you provide a link please?

EDIT:
I found a bunch of spacers on summit racing. Does anyone know how big of a spacer is required to move the pulley out?

Last edited by BCdawg57; 03-21-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:46 PM

why not just put a balancer from a vette on it
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Or... why not put the harmonic damper from the Corvette on it, since there is no "balancer". The hub will not affect balance.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM

There are weights in my balancer, so it will affect the balance. This is from the factory. I would rather have piece of mind and just get a spacer somewhere to move my pulley out about an inch.

Does anyone know where i can get a spacer.

Please no, "just put a corvette balancer on it" or, "it wont affect the balance".
I just want to konw where i can get a spacer to move my dampner out.

Last edited by BCdawg57; 03-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The plug-weights in the damper were probably put there to balance the damper. If its that much concern, have the damper measured for balance. That will tell you if it is neutral balanced or has a net balance value. Then drill/plug the Corvette damper to match.

Are you aware that because there is no key on the crank hub, the damper is not indexed permanently to the crank, and can move? What position do you plan to put it on the crank? How do you know that the hub is still in the position it was in when the engnie left the factory?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM

What they are telling you is correct. LT1's don't have a balancer, they have a damper. It is neutrally balanced, the only balance piece is on the flywheel/flexplate.

So, yes, you can just use one from a 'Vette.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The plug-weights in the damper were probably put there to balance the damper. If its that much concern, have the damper measured for balance. That will tell you if it is neutral balanced or has a net balance value. Then drill/plug the Corvette damper to match
that is true, i read a very good write up on that on ls1tech the other day

and i figured it was just easier to call it a balancer than to confuse him and start the internal/external balance thing again
Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
How do you know that the hub is still in the position it was in when the engnie left the factory?
guys that do get all hung up about this use the spot for a key on the crank and line it up with the "dirty" spot on the hub - you can see where it went if you look
Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 PM

I know its not a balancer and that it is a dampner. What i was calling it was misleading sorry for that.
the reason the dampner has an arrow on the pulley is so you can place it correctly on the snout to get the most dampning out of it. And i can guess that it hasnt moved since it was put on there because that son of a bitch was impossible to get off. (i broke a puller)

The dampner does have a few weights placed in the outter ring of the dampner and i have to believe those are there for a reason.

The reason i would like to have a spacer is:
1. This hub was on the crank when it was balanced, and my machine shop marked the way it was supposed to be put on the snout to get the most dampning out of it.
2. It would be alot easier, probably cheaper, and i would have peace of mind if i could just use a spacer. I called corvette salvage and they wanted 130 bucks for a corvette dampner
3. If i did use a corvette dampner, although it probably does have the same balance cause more or less it is the same engine, things are never for certain.

I do realize that i am probably splitting hairs over this but i want a really smooth running engine.

Thanks for your help.
Jake
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BCdawg57
1. This hub was on the crank when it was balanced, and my machine shop marked the way it was supposed to be put on the snout to get the most dampning out of it.
your not gonna get any more dampning any way you put it, its just the facts man. the weights are there to zero balance the DAMPER and nothing else

I do realize that i am probably splitting hairs over this
to say the least
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
your not gonna get any more dampning any way you put it, its just the facts man. the weights are there to zero balance the DAMPER and nothing else

What you say there makes sence and i hadnt thought of that.

There is only one way for the dampner to bolt to the hub correct?

If waht you say there is true then i was just misunderstanding the whole concept. too tied up on the gen 1 sbc i guess.

Thanks for straightening me out!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

There is only one way for the dampner to bolt to the hub correct?
no thats the thing, it can go on any way, but it does not matter because it has a neutral balance therefor no effect on the balance of your motor

but any way you need to think about it is fine with me
Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Here ya' go...

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lt4

Quick Reply: Balancer questions