LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Barebones cam swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Its your thread and i dont want to fight with you about it. I never said that headers are the only mod necessary. I also FORGOT got mention that i have matching comp cam springs to go with my cam.

I think someone has already answered this. I might have missed it but i didnt see you post any actual cam specs.. or mention lift... that will determine what you should change.

I mentioned all of the items i bought because what good is sucking is more air with a bigger cam, but not being able to evacuate the combustion chamber?, or putting the usable power beyond the reach of your stock heads? Think of your cam swap as a system.. not a single mod for your engine.

Last edited by dubbsix; 09-09-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 PM

cam, springs, rockers, chain.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
cam, springs, rockers, chain.
There's an answer!

Why rockers? I've never heard of them being mandatory, if they are depending on SA or NSA you need to include guideplates and if so then pushrods too.

The answer seems to be: Springs (locks/retainers kit), cam, chain (very good idea)... right?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Lifters, pushrods.

You really don't HAVE to change anything. It's more or less future-proofing, optimizing, complementing, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dubbsix
Its your thread and i dont want to fight with you about it. I never said that headers are the only mod necessary. I also FORGOT got mention that i have matching comp cam springs to go with my cam.
I'm not fighting. I am simply reading your post and repeating.

I think someone has already answered this. I might have missed it but i didnt see you post any actual cam specs.. or mention lift... that will determine what you should change.
Big cam. CC306, GM 847, custom similar.

Originally Posted by dubbsix
I mentioned all of the items i bought because what good is sucking is more air with a bigger cam, but not being able to evacuate the combustion chamber?, or putting the usable power beyond the reach of your stock heads? Think of your cam swap as a system.. not a single mod for your engine.
Extraneous.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Red-LT1
Lifters, pushrods.

You really don't HAVE to change anything. It's more or less future-proofing, optimizing, complementing, etc.
No, you HAVE to change your springs. If you don't, then they WILL fail without a doubt.

Lifters are not needed.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
There's an answer!

Why rockers? I've never heard of them being mandatory, if they are depending on SA or NSA you need to include guideplates and if so then pushrods too.

The answer seems to be: Springs (locks/retainers kit), cam, chain (very good idea)... right?
they're not. what cam are you going with? and why not? I'm sorry but I only plan on doing a cam swap in my car once so I'd like to do it right. I mean the cam setup I bought is coming with cheap rockers and i'm debating selling them for a better set.

Putting a mild/moderate cam in your car and running stock rockers, to me, is like running LT headers with a stock y-pipe. Why? Don't get me wrong, I realize some setups should run 1.5 RR's but for a cam only LT1 it's most likely best to get the most lift you can.

Lifters are debatable, pushrods not as much.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
they're not. what cam are you going with? and why not? I'm sorry but I only plan on doing a cam swap in my car once so I'd like to do it right. I mean the cam setup I bought is coming with cheap rockers and i'm debating selling them for a better set.

Putting a mild/moderate cam in your car and running stock rockers, to me, is like running LT headers with a stock y-pipe. Why? Don't get me wrong, I realize some setups should run 1.5 RR's but for a cam only LT1 it's most likely best to get the most lift you can.

Lifters are debatable, pushrods not as much.
I agree, when/if I do a cam I am going to have already installed and/or go with:

10308 kit
GM847
Dart Pro 1s
Tune
3.42s
3200 stall
built tranny
LTs/ORY or Duals
1.6 Pro mags SA
gm guideplates
Chromoly pushrods
64/6500 shift until I can build a bottom end.

Trust me, I know what I want to do and I know how to do it all right the first time, but this is not my question.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Cam and valve springs are all you are really going to need. Everything else can be reused assuming its in decent shape.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Is this a question you want answered just because, its seems that way. You kind of siad something like that in the few begining posts but im not positive. Any ways for a big cam valve springs are really all you HAVE to have. Now as far as rockers go when you run a thicker valve spring the friction also increases so thats why most people go with roller rockers. Also the slots aren't very long on the factory rockers, which is only a big deal on the big cams (which youre talking about) but something would def break probably the first time you took it past 6ks. Which could cause catastrophic failure. Just my .02
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96' Formula WS6
Is this a question you want answered just because, its seems that way. You kind of siad something like that in the few begining posts but im not positive.
Sort of, yes.

I did a cam swap way back when on my 98 GTP and replaced ONLY the timing chain and tensioner... and obviously the gaskets, oil/coolant.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 PM

sounds like to me you don't even need springs according to your question cause if you don't change everything else what would be the point in changing those either
Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I guess if you really wanted to barebones it you could reuse your old coolant and oil.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by hempkat94z28
sounds like to me you don't even need springs according to your question cause if you don't change everything else what would be the point in changing those either
The stock springs will bind with hardly any more lift than stock
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by hempkat94z28
Thanks Captain NoClue.

Quick Reply: Barebones cam swap...