LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bearing Clearances

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Re: Bearing Clearances

stock crank, I wanted to keep it all stock for my first build but the block had issues. I didnt know there was a ball in the oil galley. do you think the machine shop may have found it? i will have to call them to see.

thanx for the reply
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Buy this book:

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM

is that book a must? lol, i will def get it tho. does this engine have a ball in the oil galley? cuz i didnt know or see one.

the machine shop just called and all my stuff is ready to go. i have 1 question for you tho shoebox, i marked the rods when i took them off to put back in the same spot. i had to get oversized pistons and have them put on those rods, does it matter where i put them now?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Nearly every question you have asked can be answered by that book (it even shows the oil gallery ball, LOL). I'd still put the rods back where they came from.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM

That ball is prolly gone then. Would it just fall right out? How would i get another one if its gone? I am getting the book because i trust every word you say, and i want it...lol
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

The ball has to be forced out. Chances are the machine shop was not familiar enough with the LT1 to remove it. Another thing the book would have helped you with.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
The ball has to be forced out. Chances are the machine shop was not familiar enough with the LT1 to remove it. Another thing the book would have helped you with.
Yeah, that book is the first thing I bought too. It's good. Must have for LT1/LT4 rebuild info.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chet1185
stock crank, I wanted to keep it all stock for my first build but the block had issues. I didnt know there was a ball in the oil galley. do you think the machine shop may have found it? i will have to call them to see.
thanx for the reply
Originally Posted by Chet1185
is that book a must? lol, i will def get it tho. does this engine have a ball in the oil galley? cuz i didnt know or see one.
the machine shop just called and all my stuff is ready to go. i have 1 question for you tho shoebox, i marked the rods when i took them off to put back in the same spot. i had to get oversized pistons and have them put on those rods, does it matter where i put them now?
That's a great book and will help u a lot. Note what they/he says about the blocks deck surface. I think he called out 25Ra to 30Ra finish for aluminum heads using MLS gasket - u need to get together with your machinist on this as it would be ashame not to zero deck the block for quench at this point.
Something i don't agree with is alinehoning or boring the mains. Chevy Power manual/cataloge says no alinghone/boring as long as u can correct with +/-0.001" bearings and crank turns free. If your using the original crank then it should rotate freely unless it's been trashed. Alinehoning/boring will loosen your timing chain unless corrected - don't go there, its a headache for the pros.
Something u want to contact your machine shop right away for is to get the weight of one of the original pistons so u can match it - save u from spending $$ to balance the rotating assembly (if your using your same rods i assume). The rods should have been resized if your changing their cyl's. But hey its a sb Chevy. But it sounds like the pistons are already on the rods - its a bit early because u can use a piston to fit up your rings in the bore.

Thats a mouthful for now and let us know what u find Chet,
cardo
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
is it going to be bad that they didnt take it out to clean the block? i got the book and it said for it to be properly cleaned it needs removed.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by cardo0
Something i don't agree with is alinehoning or boring the mains. Chevy Power manual/cataloge says no alinghone/boring as long as u can correct with +/-0.001" bearings and crank turns free. If your using the original crank then it should rotate freely unless it's been trashed. Alinehoning/boring will loosen your timing chain unless corrected - don't go there, its a headache for the pros.
I align hone every single performance motor I do, I want the main housing bore to be perfectly straight and dead nuts on size which it never is from the factory. Done right it will not loosen the chain by any noticeable amount, and even if it did, I would rather get a -.005" set than compromise on machining quality.

"As long as the crank turns free."

Sorry, that's just laughable, and no performance engine builder would ever say that.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
I align hone every single performance motor I do, I want the main housing bore to be perfectly straight and dead nuts on size which it never is from the factory. Done right it will not loosen the chain by any noticeable amount, and even if it did, I would rather get a -.005" set than compromise on machining quality.
"As long as the crank turns free."

Sorry, that's just laughable, and no performance engine builder would ever say that.
That's a flat out lie. Sitting here i'm looking at the Chevy Power Service Manual and on page 5-13 it says "The block should not be align bored unless it is necesssary." And it instructs u how to measure the crank bore with simple hand tools. Someone that has to estimate the chain stretch does so because he doesn't even now how to measure it. He is truly ignorant of his mistakes that make sloppy valve timing and ignorate of what blueprinting is.

cardo
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM

That's a flat out lie. Sitting here i'm looking at the Chevy Power Service Manual and on page 5-13 it says "The block should not be align bored unless it is necesssary." And it instructs u how to measure the crank bore with simple hand tools. Someone that has to estimate the chain stretch does so because he doesn't even now how to measure it. He is truly ignorant of his mistakes that make sloppy valve timing and ignorate of what blueprinting is.

cardo
Who is lying about what exactly?

Are you implying that I don't know how to measure chain stretch or blueprint a motor?

You might want to go read another book and learn the difference between an align-HONE and an align-BORE before coming back in here to sling mud, this is just proof of the old adage about arming someone with just enough info to be dangerous.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 PM

cardo
it doesn't get moved up appreciably since they only need to align it to slightly higher than the highest bore anyway. It would be hard to tell the difference in chain slack if its done right. I wouldn't not do that in blueprinting an engine since that is the basis for the other measurements.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 09-28-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Once again we have the guy who read a book telling the guy who actually builds engines that he doesn't know what he is talking about. When will he learn? It's really ridiculous.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Once again we have the guy who read a book telling the guy who actually builds engines that he doesn't know what he is talking about. When will he learn? It's really ridiculous.
I don't pay attention to screen names enough and didn't realize that this is the same guy from several past threads where after reading I really have to wonder what kind of hands on experience he actually has.....

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...stions-861015/

The edelbrock head thread as well.

Quick Reply: Bearing Clearances