LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bending fuel lines for dummies!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Bending fuel lines for dummies!

Now When i do a mod i research a lot.. I plan to install cats in the Y-pipe and i need to bend my fuel lines to do so.. now i found no information short of Flames pictures (which were a lot of help!) So i decided id make a small brainless write up of this.. please dont flame me.. i just figure this would be good to have around so people can search for it..

Okay so I got the car up on jackstands and what not and found where the fuel lines are...

First remove the bracket closest to the Y-pipe holding all the lines on. its a 10mm bolt and you need to remove the lines from it first.. dont be afraid to use some muscle (no picture but its in the driveshaft/torque arm cavern)

Then remove any other thing holding the lines steady between that bracket and where they go up into the floor.. for me i had one bracket holding the lines together above the y-pipe so i just removed that...

I would strongly recommend disconecting the fuel lines from the rubber connectors or else you do this....

which i fixed by squeezing to this.. (thank god)...

Then bend the lines accordingly to that they are away from the y-pipe and make sure while bending that you are making it so they can connect back into the connectors..

FInd the easiest way to bend. I used that skid plate and pulled them around it and that did not kink.. be careful making any other bends. Bending the line takes muscle.. kinking takes lack of attention. YOu can pull real hard on them and not kink but if you dont watch the entire line while bending you can easily kink.. i got close here but that was it...

Then i had to make a little bracket and use a zip tie to hold everything up away from the ground and i was done. I left the brake line (one with coily jawns around it) seperate because it was easiest to bend and i just kinda got it up there and out of the way.. reconnect and inspect for any leaks..

With the knowledge i know now i am very confident in doing this but i would never do it for a friend.. too much liability.. i would guide but not do it.. As a matter of fact i wouldnt really recommend it.. id recomend finding another way if you have the money.. I dont so i did this and it wasnt hard and didnt take me too long...

again please dont flame.. newbs need a write up and i am a newb giving back to my community.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Re: Bending fuel lines for dummies!

Hey glad it worked out for ya
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 PM

thanks... i just need to get the brake line clamped up to the floorboard now because its kinda chillen down low a little now
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 PM

They do make tubing benders, you know?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Dorman has repair kits for steel/plastic fuel lines...... Alittle costly but better than buying a whole line.....

www.dormanproducts.com

Last edited by n2ceptor; 10-17-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 AM

damn i wish i knew there was tubing benders.. o well at least its done now.. ill keep that dorman repair kit in mind in case i ever need it thanks
I couldnt find a price tho any idea?