LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bent valves, ignition issue, sensor...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:20 AM

Welp... you could always do a leakdown to see if your valves are indeed bent.
Did you adjust the valves for any reason?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by MikeNice
Well, definitely not a crossed wire, as I went on shoebox's site and followed the picture of the firing order on there and its dead on. Does anybody have a link to somewhere else just to double check?
Do you think Shoe's drawings are wrong??????? No need for any further links.

Originally Posted by MikeNice
But with the opti, I know you feel that is the issue, but it went on with no force. How can I be more sure that is the issue before I delve any further?Do I have to remove everything the same I had to to replace the opti, as I do to remove the cap?
To answer the question, yes, the damper pulley (not the flange) has to come off with the water pump. Then the cap can come off. If you don't have a scanner capable of reading real time sensor data, guess what? Removing the cap to check indexing as I described is the logical next step.

On another note, are you sure the PCM is seeing the correct O2 readings during closed loop operation?

Have you checked the wiring for the O2s particularly the right side where it goes down the inner fender inside the outer foil wrap?????
Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 AM

Sorry, I did not mean Shoes drawings were wrong, I didnt mean it that way i meant maybe I looked at the wrong one, but doubtful.

As for the scanner, what type would I be looking for? Id much rather try and do that than to tear everything apart again...

As for the O2 sensor, everything looked fine, but if it were not functioning, I would see an engine code thrown, correct? I have no codes.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM

you need to find tdc for any cylinder. then pull to cover off the opti and make sure the rotor is pointing to the terminal for that cyl. You can do the same with a timing light but you have to make a mark on the balancer and the block to indicate tdc of the cyl you want to check. same thing. you will have to do it there are no marks from the factory to indicate tdc #1.

If you bent an intake valve it will do exactly what you are decribing as well. Pull the opti back off again if you have to to double check.

If its good then get a compression tester and check compression on all 8 cyl. If a valve is bent/broken you will not have or have very little compression in that cylinder.