LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best PA Emissions Legal Headers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 PM

Post Best PA Emissions Legal Headers????

Well I have been researching this topic for acouple weeks now and I am still unsure of what to get. I have a 95 single Cat Trans Am and I want the best Longtubes or Shortie headers I can find that will pass PA emissions. I found a set from pacesetter and from hooker and both say they have emission hookups but I am unsure if they will pass or not. I want to get them ceramic or Jet-Hot coated also but if anyone has a few seconds or knows what I should look for it would be a great help. Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 03-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Re: Best PA Emissions Legal Headers????

Chris,
I'm pretty sure that 95 and earlier emissions in Pa involves a visual inspection. If so, you may have a problem with any long tube header since they will move the location of the cats. You may want to check with a local emissions station before you purchase your headers.

That said, there are several companies out there making shorty headers that bolt up to the stock Y-pipe. SLP, MAC, BBK are just a few I can think of. I had SLP's on my 97 SS and I was very happy with them. However, that was before my county had emissions inspections.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabby11
Well I have been researching this topic for acouple weeks now and I am still unsure of what to get. I have a 95 single Cat Trans Am and I want the best Longtubes or Shortie headers I can find that will pass PA emissions. I found a set from pacesetter and from hooker and both say they have emission hookups but I am unsure if they will pass or not. I want to get them ceramic or Jet-Hot coated also but if anyone has a few seconds or knows what I should look for it would be a great help. Thanks!!!

Chris
I would look at a set of 94-95 single cat SLP headers. They are probably the best setup for emissions and power.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM

Been lookin into it as well for my winter project. All you need is a cat on the car for visual talked to the manager of an inspection station. That being said if you're at all interested I'm gonna be selling my Mac mid-lengths soon they were jet hotted before they were put on but the Y-pipe wasn't, been on the car for maybe a year or so. Flanges dont look that great but other than that they're in good shape.I LOVED them but they wont work with my new set up. Oh well.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:56 PM

I passed last year's Adam's County visual inspection with my LPE 1 3/4" shorties and Random Y pipe and CAT in the stock location...Passed MD's sniffer test for 10 years with that set up. Long tubes won't fly in my area because, as already stated earlier, the CAT has to be in the stock location. You can make ton's of power with shorties and mids...I'm a believer

--Alan
Old 03-31-2005, 05:18 PM

not sure if each countys different, but in dauphin county for visual inspection you just need the parts on the car to pass. so here u could run long tubes and put cats where ever u want them. thats what i did with my truck. my car has mac mids, no cat and slp loudmouth, no air pump or egr. wich passes no problem because i dont drive it over 5000 miles a year.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:26 PM

Im in Philly, I pass with my Macs easily.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
sbs

I've been told that LTs are no problem as long as you have cats.