LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 PM

I have one already in my camaro. Broke down on me before I deployed this year. So Im sure I can still keep my csi water pump, msd opti, Holley throttle body, Intake, Exhaust. So all that should save money. When it broke down, it just lost all power, sputtered, and turned off. I tried cranking it up and I just heard metal grinding noise from the engin. Now I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what it is and I didn't have the time to take it apart. So worst case scenario I need a new block, what parts should I use in that block. I dont want to spend ridiculous amounts on unnecassary parts that will give me no significant gains or life on the engine. Like I said before, I am not an experience mechanic, and when I purchased the car, I didn't have a clue what I was buying. I just thought it looked great and sounded great. Paid 10 k for it. I don't know what exactly is in the engine because I didn't care to ask when I purchased it. Was too happy. I just know it has comp cam, lifters, Msd opti, holley throttle body, not a stock fuel rail or intake or valve covers, its a stroker, bbk something, tsi trans, some b&m stuff, nice weld racing wheels. Mt street radials in the back, hurst shifter, 4k stall, long tube headers, i think bout three inch exhaust, was very fast. Im in the Houston area also looking for suggestions on who to send my car to get fixed.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Re: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

I would determine what went wrong with the current engine, and determine if it can be rebuilt. You need to determine what internal parts are there (is it a stroker?), and what can be reused and what needs to be bought new.

Couple questions:

550HP at the flywheel or at the rear wheels?

Normally aspirated or power adder (nitrous, S/C, turbo)?

What year is your car?

Budget? At that power level you will need major upgrades to the trans, rear end, and suspension.

How big is the Holley throtle body?

What fuel rail does it have if its "not a stock fuel rail"? Post a picture. There's not anything required to be done to the stock rails at the power level you are looking for.

Ditto on the intake (do you mean intake manifold?) - what does it have if its not stock?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Im not sure. A mechanic is gonna go over and look at it today. I'll post what he writes me. Im deployed so I have to wait til I get an email from him with the info. I meant intake manifold. That and the fuel rail look stock to me, from what I can see. Oh and its normally aspirated, 95, not sure but might be flywheel. Just know that it's faster than a new camaro, or atleast it was. It's a stroker.

Last edited by tcflores316; 04-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 AM

The heads/cam/valvetrain to make 550fwhp is going to be near $4k without install labor, labor or further supporting mods will put you well over that budget.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tcflores316

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one already in my camaro. Broke down on me before I deployed this year.....
Originally Posted by tcflores316
Im not sure. A mechanic is gonna go over and look at it today. I'll post what he writes me. Im deployed so I have to wait til I get an email from him with the info. I meant intake manifold. That and the fuel rail look stock to me, from what I can see. Oh and its normally aspirated, 95, not sure but might be flywheel. Just know that it's faster than a new camaro, or atleast it was. It's a stroker.
OK.... appears what you are saying is you already have a 550HP engine in your car, and you are asking if you can REbuild it for $4,000.

Correct?

But you don't know if its 550HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels. But it's faster the a 5th Gen Camaro.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Whether its 550 at the crank or 550 at the wheels its gonna be faster than the new camaros for sure. Good luck on the rebuild man. I dont think you will be able to keep under 4000.00 with rebuild & labor costs unless you know the mechanic & he owes you some favors. keep us posted!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

550HP at the rear wheels would be about 650HP at the flywheel through his automatic. This is a stretch.......
Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
OK.... appears what you are saying is you already have a 550HP engine in your car, and you are asking if you can REbuild it for $4,000.

Correct?

But you don't know if its 550HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels. But it's faster the a 5th Gen Camaro.
Yes. And hopefully it is because thats what the previous owner told me, or else I got ripped off.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 PM

And the mechanic seems great. So far he's kept his word about everything he's told me. I respect that. He went over to look at it. The car turns, will not start obviously. He needs to take it apart in order to find out whats actually broken. He told me to let him know what I want to do, if Im gonna get someone else to take it out or I'm gonna hold off. He offered to take it out and install it for 800.00, by the way he drove 45 min. to where my car is at just to look at it, and now is driving back again to take the engine out because I gave him the go. Last time I checked the cost at a shop to get my timing chain cover and oil pan gasket leak fixed I was quoted 700.00 at Killeen auto care in Killeen, Tx. What you guys think on the price, I thought it was great.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Also I'm thinking about going over my budget some and buying a supercharger. So if anyone has one for sell, for cheap, or knows someone, let me know. And what supercharger gives the best gains for the price.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM

You better do more research before you go dropping $5k on a supercharger. That'd be a huge mistake.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

An engine that was built to produce 550HP normally aspirated at the flywheel will not have the correct configuration for a blower. Compression ratio will be too high, cam will have too much overlap, unless its got 4-bolt mains its going to be over-stressed........
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I would find it HIGHLY unlikely you bought a 550fwhp car that did not have a good detailed spec list included. Not a lot of cars hit such a number and those who do are better about things than to sell a highly modified car without a detailed list of modifications.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would find it HIGHLY unlikely you bought a 550fwhp car that did not have a good detailed spec list included. Not a lot of cars hit such a number and those who do are better about things than to sell a highly modified car without a detailed list of modifications.
You never know it could, he did say he "didn't care to ask, too happy" about the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Latest news.

We picked up your Camaro today, and my son will be pulling the engine early next week. We started the motor, and it was knocking badly and running on only 6 cylinders. After the engine is out, I will tear down and catalog all the components and their condition, and send an eamil and some photos.

Quick Reply: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k