LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Re: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

Thanks Hsyr, you read the thread. Anyways, what's with the skepticism, and drama. I'm here asking for advice, why lie.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Someone doesn't know the difference between a PM and a post...
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for your service, greatly appreciate your sacrifice. Glad to buy you a beer, talk LT1 stuff when you get back home. Maybe a friendly race with your new engine? Take care.

-Tim
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Sounds like you at least got a stand up mechanic to look at it. When he sends you the tear down pictures and the components, make sure to post them up here.

Honestly when buying a used car with unknown mods it could be any jumble of mis-matched components. Hopefully you can just rebuild what you have now, and will walk away from all this not only with a running car, but knowledge of what you actually have under the hood.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking when I started this rebuild. I'd get really upset not knowing what the car has. So now when the engine gets pulled apart and rebuilt the mechanic will tell me every detail. I will post all the updates.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by tcflores316
And the mechanic seems great. So far he's kept his word about everything he's told me. I respect that. He went over to look at it. The car turns, will not start obviously. He needs to take it apart in order to find out whats actually broken. He told me to let him know what I want to do, if Im gonna get someone else to take it out or I'm gonna hold off. He offered to take it out and install it for 800.00, by the way he drove 45 min. to where my car is at just to look at it, and now is driving back again to take the engine out because I gave him the go. Last time I checked the cost at a shop to get my timing chain cover and oil pan gasket leak fixed I was quoted 700.00 at Killeen auto care in Killeen, Tx. What you guys think on the price, I thought it was great.
hey man i just stumbled across you post and wanted to tell you dont go o killeen auto care as i was stationed at ft hood and they do nothing but rip people off and do half *** work. if you are looking for a builder in that area there is a place called sunshine auto the owner has a 2001 ss that runs in the low 11s and they all know what they are doing with f bodies there. just thought i would give you a heads up bud.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Tcflores, thank you for your service. Be safe and good luck with your car and it's motor.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM

So here's the latest, and I don't know how to post pics or else I would show you how bad the engine is. So the block has chunks broken off, tie rods broke, ...... So theres nothing I can do with that block. Good news is, my heads are good and intake of course. Pretty much I'll save lots of money on all the external parts. I will get a short block built and use the other parts on it. Was told it should pump out about 500 rwhp on pump gas. I was very dissapointed when I read the email this morning but after talking to him and figuring out what to do, I'm very happy. Can't wait for it to be built, and test it out of course!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator

"tie rods broke"???? That's part of the steering. Do you possibly mean "connecting rods broke"? That would make more sense, and be consistent with "block has chunks broken off".
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb Re: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

Originally Posted by Injuneer
"tie rods broke"???? That's part of the steering. Do you possibly mean "connecting rods broke"? That would make more sense, and be consistent with "block has chunks broken off".
Well good thing is you know what I meant, Im just a newby. So yes it;s the connecting rods broke.
"The pictures show that a connecting rod has broken and broke the bottom of (2) cylinders, making this block useless junk! The cam also was struck by the broken rod and needs replacement. The gear drive assembly for the cam, has several broken teeth, caused by the cam breaking the thrust plate and allowing the gear to move forward and chip off the teeth. I recommend starting over, with a different block and rotating assembly, along with a NEW cam"

I was gonna get dealer pricing over at comp cams but later saw really no need after the great price I got from the mechanic.

"If you can deal with the carb, I will see what I can do on the valve train components, It shouldn’t be a problem doing it at around what we sell to our dealers. Let me ask the higher ups and I will get back to you..."

By the way, I'm not getting a carb, I thought I was but misunderstood. Sticking to the Lt1
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 PM

Unfortunately, you're not going to get 500whp, N/A.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Unfortunately, you're not going to get 500whp, N/A.
Oh yeah, thats right its gonna be less then yours.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Not sure what the attitude is for, but I don't see it happening. Guys that eclipse the 500whp mark do so with things like single plane manifolds, high dollar rotating assemblies, aftermarket PCMs like FAST and Megasquirt, very aggressive solid roller valvetrain and supporting components, high dollar converted SBC heads, elaborate fuel systems, and have a VERY high budget. My motor cost me close to 8k. A buddy of mine is building a 396 with a budget of 12k and he won't break the 500whp mark, either. If you don't believe me, do a search on this forum (and others) and they will all say the same thing. You don't have the budget.

I am not trying to put you down whatsoever, but I don't think you realize how unrealistic that number is. Unless you are prepared to spend some SERIOUS coin, it just won't happen. I have been around these engines for 11 years now and I can count the number of 500whp N/A LT1s I've seen on one hand.

Lose the attitude - you needed some info and I'm trying to help you out.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

I think it's unrealistic as well. And nobody, who doesn't know the difference between a tie rod and a con rod is going to convince me otherwise.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM

No way he will build a 500whp NA lt1 with little to no knowledge about lt1s; 400rwhp will be more like it. A 500whp N/A lt1 will not be what you would want to drive around town as a daily drive car. Well if you want to reach that kind of hp N/A, be sure you pay extra attention to the heads you buy they will need to be flowing well over 300cfm and it will take a nasty cam.

Quick Reply: Best parts to build a 550 +hp Lt1 under 4k