LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best spark plugs for LT1????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:29 AM

Best spark plugs for LT1????

I have a 95 Z with stock plugs and plug wires. I'm getting some MSD 8.5 plug wires and I'm wondering what's the best spark plug to get. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:56 AM

For the most part, you are wasting your money with the fancy wires. My car is far from stock, and I use stock OEM plug wires. Cheap, fit right, and easy to get. You don't mention mods, so it's tough to recommend a plug. But for a stock or mildly modded car I like the NGK TR55VX. Actually, NGK's are only Japanese parts on my car!

Rich Krause
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 AM

Plugs and wires have been debated alot on ths site.. If you do a search, you will see.... Every one has their own opinion... I have tried many diff types of plugs, and my opinion one was not better than the other... Right now I am using AC Delco double plats... And for wires I had MSD , but know I am trying Taylors..... Checking the OHMS between the wires , the MSDs' had less resistance than the stock and Taylors.... IMO less resistance means more spark at the plug....
Old 07-06-2003, 09:57 AM

i agree with mr. krause on the wires, there's not much to be gained if anyting going from 7 to 8.5mm wires. I got some stock replacements just so i wouldn't have to mess with routing larger diameter wires that wouldnt' fit in the retaining clips. I picked bosch +2s for price and because i wanted a platinum plug to last a lil longer since plug swaps are such a pain. If you get bosch's don't gap them yourself, they come pregapped at an equivilent of where they should be. A lot of people who complain about the bosch's have regapped them. I'm not claiming they're the best because i don't really think there's gonna be a difference between ngk's, bosches, ect, but thats what i'm using.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:49 AM

ngk tr 55 for stock car, tr 6 for nitrous use
Old 07-06-2003, 02:18 PM

Before everyone laughs, and say's there a waste of money, read the sig. My completely stock LT1 went 12.82 with Splitfires.

Frank
Old 07-06-2003, 02:25 PM

bosch +4 platinums and stock wires here, works fine for me
Old 07-06-2003, 02:48 PM

I"m running the MSD wires too. As far as plugs. Just don't get the AC plats. Almost always the "pucks" come off of them. I was running Bosch Plat +4 now I"m running NGK TR-55 It seems the Bosch ran smoother for everyday runnin around but the NGKs are helping in the higher RPMS it seems. No real "seat of the pants" though to be honest with you.
Splitfire...LOL. I put one of those in my lawnmower jus cuz I was curious. As hard as it is to change plugs on my car I"m not willing to try them though....LOL
Old 07-06-2003, 02:55 PM

Guys I am gunna open my big mouth.

For the guy who said less resistantce equals more spark or something like that..... YOU FORGETING ONE BIG BIG FACT.

MAGNETISM in relationship to frequency. (am not going to debate it but......) Filters to stop "SPIKES" in direct voltage lines are created with COILS and capacitors. the so colled radio frequency or even ingnition noise filters are the example for this reply.

What do you think Magnetic core wire means??? they have coil wires and they will reduce the total amount of voltage through them at a given resonant frequency. Kiloherz or megaherz... maybe the frequency of resonance is way to high to affect the voltage spike during the rise time in our wires and plugs combo or maybe not!! the longer the wire the lower the frequensy of resonance could be. No body I know has tested it just yet.

Now I am thinking I should create an voltage spike producing oscilator.... like the one in our ignitions and then test the spark plug wires at different spark frequencys. If the voltage spike at the begining of the coil is dampened by the time it gets to the spark plug..... by a whole lot.... meaning the spark plug getting even less voltage than using the stock wires.... its either a Law suit waiting to happen or a refund from the manufactures....

If nothing bad happens then at least I will have peace of mind. Its been more than ten years since I designed my last high frequency filter using coils, resistors, capacitors. But there are formulas for it.

now guys lets not argue here, my point is. if you build a coil and then pass alternating electricity through it... it will create a magnetic field and in the process increase the resistance to the alternating current flowing through it. thats how speakers work too.. the resistance is greater at a given frequency. lets say at 8hms speaker is perhaps only 3 ohms at cero frequency.... 8 ohms at 1khz and then perhaps 1 mega ohm at 100kilohertz.....

It is very posible our mag wires are actually damping the voltage the the plugs if given the wrong frequency (voltage rise TIME from zero to max).

Ok I will shut up now. Does anyone have an oscilloscope to check the spike voltage at the coil and at the plugs???

Marvin
Old 07-06-2003, 03:29 PM

Mental Case 1

Hey, this is off topic, but MC1, I knew you were in Hawaii as soon as I heard you like to go down Kaonohi street, since that seems to be the only place in the world where every other street name begins with a K and goes on interminably.

Actually the Missus and I just got back from vacay there, most beautiful place I've ever seen and now want to move there!

(sorry guys)
Old 07-06-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
Before everyone laughs, and say's there a waste of money, read the sig. My completely stock LT1 went 12.82 with Splitfires.

Frank
stock internal with lots of bolt ons, you mean right?? JK man
Old 07-06-2003, 04:04 PM

Kuma!!!!!!!! move here buddy. We have a Camaro Club named

www.hawaiianIslandcamaros.org

By the way I have seen more Awesome Camaros here than I did see in Los Angeles when I lived there.... Could it be the "NO EMISSIONS TEST" requirement have somezing to do with it??

GRIN

Mahalo

Marvin
Old 07-06-2003, 04:13 PM

I'm running some double silicone wires from autozone, don't know who makes them, and champion plugs. I just switched from Taylor wires and Acdelco platinums and did't notice any loss or gain.

John
Old 07-06-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by TMDZ28
stock internal with lots of bolt ons, you mean right?? JK man
No..I mean STOCK bottom end, heads, cam, injectors, throttle body, exhaust manifolds, etc. This thing didn't have an AFPR. The car went 12.8's without ever having the valve covers off. You read the sig. Flowmaster exhaust, Hypertech chip, Moroso CAI, t-body airfoil, Splitfires, Taylor 8 MM wires, MSD 7AL-2, 4.10's, and 3200 stall. The 1.73 60 Ft. times wewre on a COMPLETELY stock suspension also...With exception of the removed front sway bar. No fancy torque arm, control arms, Shocks, etc. The shocks are the original 94,000 mile stockers. Yes, I've got a good set of tires, but there's alot of people out there with every bolt-on, and every suspension mod that they can do that still don't run in the 12's. BTW, the car weighs 3448# with me in it. The only weight taken out has been the sway bar. The Welds might weigh a little less than stock wheels, but the VFN fiberglass hood weighs as much as the factory one.
It didn't just run 12.8 once, either. The last time it was at the track, it ran a 12.86, 12.84, and a 12.82. At the EFA event last year, we hot lapped the car to (12) 12.9 passes, (2) 12.8 passes, and (2) driver error 13's. All 16 runs were in the 105.X MPH range...With 3 different drivers.
Not bad for a car with a set of "lawnmower" spark plugs in it.

Frank

Last edited by 12SCNDZ; 07-06-2003 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Cool plugs and wires

I'm running the stock ac delco double platniums. I am running them for two reasons. 1. They actually are a very good plug. 2. Longevity- I had the original set i the car for 75,xxx miles and only one had one of the little platnium deals fall off. Thats pretty darn good. I started a thread about the same subject about 6 months ago, and after eleven posts I went with the consensus and got the ac delcos. Pretty damn expensive though. I also am going with accel 300+ race wires for the heat resistance, since I have headers. Hope that helps. -Michael

Quick Reply: Best spark plugs for LT1????