LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

best stall for a cc305??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by AndyB
Choice in converters is subjective from person to person. I personally have had 3,600 stall converters and HATED them on the street, I've also had ran a few 2,500 stalls that were perfect for a daily driver. So you can't bash someone for their personal preference.

I think the 2500 he choice is a fantastic choice for someone who doesn't want to sacrifice drivability , in fact my favorite street converter I ever ran was very similar to the one he posted. While it might not be the fastest down the strip, it also wont make him hate driving the car. Nothing like daily driving in bumper to bumper traffic with a 3,600 stall converter To each their own.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by z28beast
Yeah, I don't understand you. Six people in this thread recommend you have at least a 3000+ stall for the optimal blend of performance and drivability, then ONE person comes in with something different, and you start swinging from his nuts instead. He said he "HATED" driving on a 3600 stall, we recommended a 3000-3200. There's a difference between a 3200 and a 3600.

You've got selective hearing. Sorry to hear it.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yeah, I don't understand you. Six people in this thread recommend you have at least a 3000+ stall for the optimal blend of performance and drivability, then ONE person comes in with something different, and you start swinging from his nuts instead. He said he "HATED" driving on a 3600 stall, we recommended a 3000-3200. There's a difference between a 3200 and a 3600.

If it makes a difference the 3200 was too big for me as well , the 3600 was just horrible for daily driving.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 PM

2500 is really not that bad. If you don't play on using nitrous and you don't play on racing the car, there's really nothing wrong with the stall you chose. It'll be fine for daily driving.

I run a 3200 and I refuse to go any higher because my car is for 99% street use. I was running longtube headers, ORY to straights, and the higher stall was one of the reasons I went to a magnaflow catback. Driving in traffic was risky because the car would sound like it was redlining (even though it wasn't even close) to people around me when I was just trying to pull away from stop signs and red lights. I had to quiet the car down because rpm's are a lot higher in town with my stall. I could make it work with a higher stall, but it really would make it less fun to drive on a day to day basis.

You didn't chose the best brand as far as reliability and performance, but it'll still be a nice little bump that you'll notice when you mash on the pedal.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM

yea but he asked for advise on the best converter, and he didnt take it..
so he might as well posted that he picked this converter from summit... instead of asking for advise on a converter..

i would've went with an Edge 2800-3000 converter.. much better than a hughes..
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM

you wasted your money,

if that converter lasts at all you will be replacing it soon anyway, i would have gone with a 3200 for the street. as long as it was a lock up converter you would have not sacrificed much mpg

but seriously what was the point of asking?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM

I would of gone 3k at least. I dont even own a a4 either, just drove a few.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM

first off who the **** are you talking to bitc* boy?? and second off you must be a retard! i merely asked for your opinion..just cuz i didnt take your advice doesnt mean you gotta flame me.... i had a mustang gt with a 3200 stall and hated it because it was retarded to go up a hill with....also my trans guy said he wouldnt install a 3200 stall cuz he said i would not like it! so back the hell off and lmtfa!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM

you surely wont be getting any more information from us. we are just trying to help you man, like you asked. he was explaining to you that you side with one out of six.

and i would SERIOUSLY consider a new trans guy
Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 PM

first off who the **** are you talking to bitc* boy?? and second off you must be a retard! i merely asked for your opinion..just cuz i didnt take your advice doesnt mean you gotta flame me.... i had a mustang gt with a 3200 stall and hated it because it was retarded to go up a hill with....also my trans guy said he wouldnt install a 3200 stall cuz he said i would not like it! so back the hell off and lmtfa!
No need for the name-calling. I don't understand why someone like yourself would come onto a forum asking for advice, then get some really good info and suggestions, and choose to do the opposite of what was suggested. Granted, it's your car and you do what you want, but why would you even ask? You just ignored what was presented to you and bought a crap converter.

In the end, it's your choice to take whoevers opinion you want. I'm flaming you because you ignored all the good advice and just did whatever you wanted to do in the end.

Throughout your entire fail of a build I've done nothing but help you, even when you do even more retarded things like adjusting your valves with the timing chain disconnected.

PS - your trans guy is a retard. Instead of listening to one person's opinion, why wouldn't you take real-world advice from people (like myself) who have been there, done that?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ramair95ta
no need for the name-calling. I don't understand why someone like yourself would come onto a forum asking for advice, then get some really good info and suggestions, and choose to do the opposite of what was suggested. Granted, it's your car and you do what you want, but why would you even ask? You just ignored what was presented to you and bought a crap converter.

In the end, it's your choice to take whoevers opinion you want. I'm flaming you because you ignored all the good advice and just did whatever you wanted to do in the end.

Throughout your entire fail of a build i've done nothing but help you, even when you do even more retarded things like adjusting your valves with the timing chain disconnected.

Ps - your trans guy is a retard. Instead of listening to one person's opinion, why wouldn't you take real-world advice from people (like myself) who have been there, done that?
...+1
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 AM

ok well thanks for all the info...i went with the Hughes 2500 heres the link..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-22-25L/

what are your opinions on it??

i went with the 2500 because i want the best gas mileage and least heat possible
Also, if fuel mileage and low heat were really what you were looking for, why did you decided to buy a stall converter? I higher stall is going to lower your fuel mileage and increase heat regardless of the brand or stall speed. A tranny cooler is a must no matter what stall speed you have. And with a full bolt on cammed LT1 with a stall, (like I said before) your tranny will not last long, especially if you don't have a cooler hooked up.

There are very few performance parts out there that can be added without sacrificing some sort of fuel mileage/creating more heat. And each performance mod you do will always get you closer to the "not streetable" point.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:59 AM

No need for the name-calling. I don't understand why someone like yourself would come onto a forum asking for advice, then get some really good info and suggestions, and choose to do the opposite of what was suggested. Granted, it's your car and you do what you want, but why would you even ask? You just ignored what was presented to you and bought a crap converter.

Throughout your entire fail of a build I've done nothing but help you, even when you do even more retarded things like adjusting your valves with the timing chain disconnected.

PS - your trans guy is a retard. Instead of listening to one person's opinion, why wouldn't you take real-world advice from people (like myself) who have been there, done that?
No offense but I would listen to a professional transmission builder before anyone on the internet. They know how horrible a sloppy converter will make the car feel and they probably have more people unhappy with sloppy converters then they do with mild street setups. Most people don't enjoy a 3,200 + stall on their daily diver, it makes simple driving task annoying, coupled with a loud exahust and it always sounds like you are racing around. I drove my car on the streets of San Francisco once before realizing how retarded a 3,6000 stall converter is, nothing like having the engine rev to 4,000 rpms to Parrnell park.

The older I get and the more street time my cars see the milder my setups get. The novelty of having a barely streetable car wears off really quick, I'll take a 2,500 stall before a 3,200 stall any day of the week on my daily driver. But like I said to each their own
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by AndyB
No offense but I would listen to a professional transmission builder before anyone on the internet. They know how horrible a sloppy converter will make the car feel and they probably have more people unhappy with sloppy converters then they do with mild street setups. Most people don't enjoy a 3,200 + stall on their daily diver, it makes simple driving task annoying, coupled with a loud exahust and it always sounds like you are racing around. I drove my car on the streets of San Francisco once before realizing how retarded a 3,6000 stall converter is, nothing like having the engine rev to 4,000 rpms to Parrnell park.

The older I get and the more street time my cars see the milder my setups get. The novelty of having a barely streetable car wears off really quick, I'll take a 2,500 stall before a 3,200 stall any day of the week on my daily driver. But like I said to each their own
No offense taken, but I wouldn't listen to a "professional transmission builder" who says "you won't like it." FWIW, my transmission builder told me that anything smaller than a 2800 would be a waste, and from what I've been reading on these forums for the past 15 years, that's holding water. I've found that the best results come from a blend of real-world experience and professional advice - not one or the other.

So, like you said, to each their own.

And on a technical note, I don't know what kind of 3600 stall you ran to run 4000rpms under normal driving conditions. My 3600 drove very similar to stock. So did a friends 94Z. So did a friends 2001 Z. So did another friends 2000 WS6. I think you get the point.

Last edited by RamAir95TA; 05-09-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM

And on a technical note, I don't know what kind of 3600 stall you ran to run 4000rpms under normal driving conditions. My 3600 drove very similar to stock. So did a friends 94Z. So did a friends 2001 Z. So did another friends 2000 WS6. I think you get the point.
I had a midwest converter, restalled several times before I got tired of it and sold it. It didn't drive anywhere near stock, but that's sujective from person to person. Just like the people who think a GM847 or CC306 on a stock motor is fine for a daily driver, just not for me. Same goes for the converter.

Quick Reply: best stall for a cc305??