LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best year/model for an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:40 PM

I'd say the best would be a 97 LT4 Firehawk or SS, but then I might be a little biased. If you can't quite swing one of those, then I'd look for a 95. It had the late style (vented) optispark which will last longer, and was still OBDI so it's easier (& cheaper) to tune once you start modding.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by JetLag
Lots of people say the 95 because it has the older and cheaper to mess with OBD1 and a vented opti, single cat style exhaust. The OBD thing is a weak point, the prices are very similar now. The vented opti is good but 96 and 97 have it too, BUT the 95 does have the single cat style exhuast. The only reason people prefer this is because its easier to get headers for and you dont have 2 cats to worry about.
The reason that OBD-I is better is because it reacts better to modifications. Cars make more power with OBD-I over any other form of OBD even 0 and 2. Its not about cost.

My vote however goes with the model year of my car. I like having the new interior. I can't stand the 93-96 ones, it feels so cheap and your surrounded by hard plastic.
there are only two differences in the interior from 93-02 and that is the console which has 4 cup holders rather than 1 and the digital cluster. My friend has a 97 and his didnt come with one for some reason. But he does have the newer console. However, my 95 interior is identical in all other aspects accept color to every other F-Body from 93-02 that meets at our club that I have seen so far. What hard plastic are you refering too?

I also like having the 97-98 wheels and the newer rear tailights.
95 did not have the salad shooter wheels. I have the same wheels that my friend's 97 came with. He did change to LS1 WS6 wheels though and I want to go to grand sport. The rear tail lights didnt change until 98. The LS1's had a circular reverse light and honey comb brake lights. There is no difference in the tail lights for all of the LT1 years.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by MaddHatter
Looking back who would you recommend? What kinda power gains are you thinking you'll see?
Looking back I would have gone with SLP. Injuneer Fred has one on his car and it looks absolutely perfect. As far as gains are concerned it should be just as much as a cold air. I chose it for a few reasons:

1. its higher off the hot pavement so I figured cooler air.
2. There is no chance of hydrolocking my motor in a puddle.
3. The air is going in straight so I figured possible higher velocity and less turbulence.
4. As the car goes faster it should push the air in faster. From what I have heard this is minimal. About 1% gain at 100 MPH. But every little bit helps.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by LeftoverChinese
there are only two differences in the interior from 93-02 and that is the console which has 4 cup holders rather than 1 and the digital cluster. My friend has a 97 and his didnt come with one for some reason. But he does have the newer console. However, my 95 interior is identical in all other aspects accept color to every other F-Body from 93-02 that meets at our club that I have seen so far. What hard plastic are you refering too?
I hate the red glow guage cluster in my 95 but don't wanna go riceronics or anything... is there a way to change the light bulb to a white or some other color?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:49 PM

I owned a 96 V6 camaro before I owned my present car, I am very familiar with the older camaro Interior. Keep in mind, I am unfamiliar with the interior of Firebirds. The hard plastic is the entire console. The 97+ interiors have a more padded plastic thats not as offensive to the touch.

And the 97 Camaro's have the 98-02 Camaro tailights. The type with the amber, white and red, instead of just the two tone white and red. Once again, Camaro's.....not Firebirds.

As far as the OBD thing.........
Old 10-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by LeftoverChinese
Looking back I would have gone with SLP. Injuneer Fred has one on his car and it looks absolutely perfect. As far as gains are concerned it should be just as much as a cold air. I chose it for a few reasons:

1. its higher off the hot pavement so I figured cooler air.
2. There is no chance of hydrolocking my motor in a puddle.
3. The air is going in straight so I figured possible higher velocity and less turbulence.
4. As the car goes faster it should push the air in faster. From what I have heard this is minimal. About 1% gain at 100 MPH. But every little bit helps.
So for $800+ I can have a 1-2% gain over a $100-150 CAI and just avoid water... damn I love the ramair look but I need more for my money - Thanks for the advice
Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM

Oh, see thats where we were getting confused. I dont know anything about thier interior or otherwise. I prefer the Pontiac style. http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/jasonht.htm Jason decided to switch to OBD-I in order to work with his mods better when he was shooting for 10's.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by MaddHatter
So for $800+ I can have a 1-2% gain over a $100-150 CAI and just avoid water... damn I love the ramair look but I need more for my money - Thanks for the advice
Basically the only reason to go for ram air is the fact that you like the look of it. There really is no other reason.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Wink 95 Sucks Stay away

Stay away from the 95's please. They really suck.
J/k i just don't want you guys mesing up all of the good years, 20 years from now when my kid needs a ride he's getting a 95. keep a couple clean for me. HEHEHe

The vented opti is highly overlookable, I used to own a 93, i put over 100k miles on the originale unvented opti, now i own a 95 and its vented i just hit 110k miles and i',m on my 5th opti. and if you still think you wanted a vented one whats the big deal just buy a 95 opti for your 93/94 and make a hole on the intake for the vent.

My 2 cents
Mike
Old 10-07-2003, 01:08 PM

I would say any 94-97 camaro would be a good start. Although if you live in an emissions state i would stay away from the 96-97's because you can't run good headers on them. I do like the 97's interior but its nothing that special.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM

95...vented opti, OBD I, single cat.