LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

billet vs cast cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 05:16 PM

billet vs cast cam

I have a cast 306, but I plan on running my car with that cam for a long time. I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences that would make you want a billet over a cast 306, and I was wondering if all comp cams 306's made now are billet, because I have heard that before. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:21 PM

Do not run a billet camshaft in your car, the oil pump drive gear that drives off the camshaft is not made of billet steel. You cannot get a replacement gear in bronze or billet material. The billet material is to hard for the oil pump drive gear, and could cause it to fail. When the oil drive gear fails your oil pump quits working, then you know what that means, no oil on your bearings then your motor is shot. If you do order a billet camshaft specify that you want the cam gear to be heat treated to work with a Lt1 oil pump drive gear. Hope this helps some!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:38 PM

Re: billet vs cast cam

Originally posted by jimbo95Z28
I have a cast 306, but I plan on running my car with that cam for a long time. I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences that would make you want a billet over a cast 306, and I was wondering if all comp cams 306's made now are billet, because I have heard that before. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Instances where a billet is a really good idea?
Yeah, race-only engines that see high spring pressures....... less deflection and more stability in the valvetrain.
Hey, if you can get a deal on one then do it. Otherwise, stick with the cast cams.

I don't know where the misinformation comes on the gear. If you specifically have a billet cam ground for an LT then it's gonna have a cast gear on it. If it's a shelf-cam for an LT.... it's gonna have a cast gear on it. If you like a certain billet cam and want that profile ground for an LT... all of the cam companies will put a cast gear on it. You just need to specify what the cam is for. All of them have a prefix or additional part number to designate a "cast gear".
Not that confusing.

Good luck.

-Mindgame