LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Borla exhaust...sound??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:35 PM

My $.02 on Borla. People always knock on Borla's price. Keep in mind, some of the costs went into making those nice looking tips (the best IMO). If you look at a Jegs catalog, those tips by them selves are $$$$.

You can look at the tips and identify what exhaust system you have. I cannot identify other's people exhaust unless I look at the tips for 10 minutes. Then at best, it's still a guess. My only complaint is the lips are not rolled.

Also the built-in cutout, a good deal of money went in fabricating that section. If you own a Borla, you'll know what I mean. Also, it has a million mile warranty (a gimmick IMO). But it's good to know Borla will stand behind their product for as long as you own their product.

Maybe, some of the cost keeps the Borla name exclusive. If so, I'd gladly pay a few more bucks for that.

Take away those, the Borla would be just be as competitive in price as any other aluminunized steel cat-back.

Last edited by AsianSensation; 08-08-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:51 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with 96 WS6 as far as the sound is concerned, on modified cars that is. I think it sounds nice on stock cars, but once headers and an ORP are thrown in, it does start to resemble BB's in a can. But AsianSensation is right about the looks. Borla tips look good, especially on TA's. Personally, I like the sounds of the SLP 2OTL and the hooker sounds nice too. It really comes down to what has already been said by J's 82 and AsianSensation, if you want something nice with good quality and the price doesn't intimidate you, then go for it. If not, you have plenty of other choices. And don't forget, you can find borla used at a more palatable price, I've seen them go for as little as $250. I want an SLP 2OTL, but I'm not sure how it would look on a TA.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:19 AM

Well said, it is all up to what you want.. though my Borlas came without the intercooled tips they still have the cutout and four tips..

I do have headers though and there is nary a bb to be heard

Oh, the SLP 2otl, look ok, but I always thought a little bit cockeyed without two more outlets on the other side.. one of the reasons I dumped mine in favor of the Borla.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:39 AM

Borla is not worth buying new. I bought mine and I liked it. As said above, Borla is awesome on a stock car....a STOCK car. Once I put my Jet-Hot LTs and ORP, I fired it up and hated it. My Hooker cat-back will be at my door Monday to fix the Borla problem. I never ran a plate in it either but its just horrendous. I feel embarrassed to rev up the car. If the car will remain stock, then go for it, if not buy a cheaper cat-back like the Hooker or something else. I dont care if the cat-back is stainless steel or aluminized, my Borla is the worst mistake I made.

Hooker cat-back=

Borla cat-back=
Old 08-09-2003, 12:59 AM

The whole concept of the Borla adjustable cat-back is that it lets you tune the exhaust to your likeing. Is it premature to rid of the Borla before you try out the plates? I tried all of them and pick out the one I like the best. Just wondering what made you decide on another cat-back before you tried out all of the Borla's features.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:49 PM

The Borla was pretty good when I didnt have the LTs. It doesnt matter if I have plates in or not, its too high pitched. I'm looking for a more throaty muscular tone out of the car and the Borla cant give that to me, plus I want to free up some money as well for more mods which is better off for me.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:59 PM

This is the first time I heard Borla is high pitched whether people love it or hate it. I'm running FLP LTs with the ORPs, it's deep and loud but certainly not high pitch. But if it free up more money for your mods, you are certainly doing the right thing.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:43 AM

I can attest to the high pitched thing. 383LT4 w/ 224/236 114 FLP's ORP Open borla. The thing would shriek this terrible high pitched sound i dunno, like 2500-3000. Really sounded terrible. With the cats back in it is manageable now.

I love my 2OTL, but SloTexan, i don't think it looks good on a TA, sorry

I can agree with the borla sounding good on a stock car. IMO the nonadjustable Borla rear section sounds a lot better, maybe just a touch too quite though.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:59 AM

MAGNAFLOW!
Old 08-10-2003, 03:34 AM

I got to say that Borla does sound pretty bad a$$. If you like it, go for it and if you don't, just get something else. On that note, if you do buy it, I know she'll end up loving it the first time she revs the car up. I know I did.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:05 AM

If i were to buy a catback again it would definetly be the hooker catback. I had Borla and Flowmaster catbacks. On a stock car the Borla sounded good but got ugly sounding like at the track or something. Have'nt you guys with borla have someone drive by you full throttle with the borla on? Thats the sound I dont like, the wot of Borla. Other than that its awesome. After the Longtubes I hated my Borla so I bought a cheap Flowmaster system. It was worse than the Borla. And it had that notorious high pitched quick sound like when you will let off the gas and let the rpms drop after revving real high. It did it aorund 2-3krpms. My trueduals fixed that problem though. I just gotta get them quieter.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:30 AM

A borla is a very expensive way to make your car sound like ****. The sound is raspy, poppy, and just generally horrible. You hear one and expect to see a ragged out mid 70's truck.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by 94formulabz
I can attest to the high pitched thing. 383LT4 w/ 224/236 114 FLP's ORP Open borla. The thing would shriek this terrible high pitched sound i dunno, like 2500-3000. Really sounded terrible.
Thats exact same spot where mine sounds like theres something flapping around in my exhaust. It only sounds good around 1500 rpm which I rarely spend a lot of time in. I avoid 2500 rpm at all costs so I shift around 2k before it gets to 2500. Do any of you get that weird loud shrieking noise when you let off of the gas at WOT? Its humiliating...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 PM

I do get a poping sound when I let off of the gas at WOT. It seems to occur when I nail the gas when at Park or Neutral and let it go. I was told it was from lack of backpressure. Playing with the plates seems to lessen that.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:55 PM

Maybe it sounds different on a LS1, but I love the wot sound of my friends 2002 T/A, and another's '98 Formula. They sound savage IMHO. Also, the car isn't going to see much more than a exhaust and CAI. The wife is not interested in drag racing, and I have my GTA for that habit, so once this is done the '95 won't see much more than a regular oil change and plugs. Thanks for all the opinions though, I appreciate all of your input, but I am gonna go get a Borla.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust...sound??