LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Borla exhaust...sound??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 02:44 PM

I have to second Cmr0z28's recommendation of MagnaFlow. Since I had it installed on my 94 Z28 I love it. I will never put anything else on a v8 again. It does pop after revving it in neutral, but not on deceleration, but I think thats a given on any free flowing exhaust.

There is a sample of how mine sounds in my sig, You can also have a listen to a better quality clip here

This cost about the same as a flowmaster(in fact a little cheaper) and sounds much better in my opinion.

Last edited by Cam94Z28; 08-10-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:18 PM

I've had my borla on for about 5 years and if I had to do it all over again I would still get a borla. My friend had borla on his LS1 and after his heads and cam didn't like the sound, but I didn't hear it until he switched exhausts. Here's a good video of what the borla sounds like on an LT1.

http://www.ls1tech.com/threads/showf...5&o=31&fpart=1
Old 08-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Jon94Z, thanks for the clip. BTW, I now know what rims I am going to get for the car!

As for the Magnaflow clip....well, to each there own I guess, but it won't be going on my wifes car.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:53 PM

you all keep talking about popping and cracking.... remember when you run the cutout open on a borla it is just that, an open exhaust..

do you run with a cutout open all the time with your hookers, slps, flowmasters, etc...?

I only run my borla cutout cracked enough for the position light to go off on my power plate, sounds plenty mean with no adverse side effects.. wide open for the track or scaring the honda next to you.. before I had the electric cutout I ran the smallest diameter baffle with no ill effect..

funnily enough if I run my A/C with the cutout open and then close it while running the A/C blows harder when closed.. probably due to the increase in low end torque.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:03 PM

Unless your 100% sold on the "appearance" of the Borla because you love its intercooled tips, you should go with the GMMG Chambered Exhaust cat-back if your gonna spend that much money($600+). I'm assuming your going to purchase it new?

I say this because the GMMG just sounds sooooooooo much better(like a real muscle car) unlike the Borla. It is deeper, cleaner, and has the best WOT sound I've heard yet next to true duals. It just blows the Borla away on a stock, mildly, or heavily modified LT1/LS1 F-body.

If your going to spend that much, you simply couldn't do any better than the GMMG system.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
Thats exact same spot where mine sounds like theres something flapping around in my exhaust. It only sounds good around 1500 rpm which I rarely spend a lot of time in. I avoid 2500 rpm at all costs so I shift around 2k before it gets to 2500. Do any of you get that weird loud shrieking noise when you let off of the gas at WOT? Its humiliating...
My borla use to do the same thing, its embarassing. I loved my borla for the first few weeks until the "newness" wore off. I ended up ordering a hooker catback a few weeks ago. I got it installed last week and theirs a noticeable difference. Its a little to quiet, but that will change when my lt headers go in.I would listen to a borla in person before buying. Borla wasn't even my first choice i just bought it cause i got a great deal used. If money doesn't matter you should look into gmmg.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:29 PM

gmmg what is that have a link or full name
Old 08-11-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by amean94ta
gmmg what is that have a link or full name
www.gmmginc.net

The guys who bring to you the 2002 ZL1 Camaro and GMMG chambered exhaust. I believe it stands for General Motors Motorsports Group or something to that effect.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:41 AM

well it might sound good but i dont like that setup sorry. its only 2 1/2 inch! i think the crimps even restrict flow even more. $700 is way to much for that kit! anyone can have the same sound just changing the muffler to a chamberd one from jegs for like 90 bucks! i would never give up my borla for this dynomax looking system.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:45 AM

well it might sound good but i dont like that setup sorry. its only 2 1/2 inch!

-After it splits though, right?

i think the crimps even restrict flow even more.

-Doubtful, the exhaust is so cool by that point.

$700 is way to much for that kit!

-Not if you want a badass sounding car.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:14 PM

I have borla on my SS and it rocks. I have had so many people come and say that my car sound sweet.
I Have a 96 SS and I have heard SLP's cat backs and they suck.
BORLA BABY.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by 96SS4u2nv
I have borla on my SS and it rocks. I have had so many people come and say that my car sound sweet.
I Have a 96 SS and I have heard SLP's cat backs and they suck.
BORLA BABY.

.now this is a smart guy BORLA 4 LIFE (cause it lasts that long and sounds best)

sean
Old 08-12-2003, 11:35 PM

well it might sound good but i dont like that setup sorry. its only 2 1/2 inch! i think the crimps even restrict flow even more. $700 is way to much for that kit! anyone can have the same sound just changing the muffler to a chamberd one from jegs for like 90 bucks! i would never give up my borla for this dynomax looking system.
Read the site info again, it is a 3" cat-back system(not 2 1/2). And sorry, it doesn't restrict flow like you might think. I gained over 26 rear wheel horsepower with it along with just a simple intake lid on my LS1 over bone stock and I know of several guys who have dynoed it on cars well over 400+ to the wheels(and who didn't lose much to a cutout). It holds up fine to just about any other free-flowing aftermarket cat-back out there.

BTW, price may be expensive, but that is only a little more than a new Borla system. Worth it to me for the much better sound.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:06 AM

I can vouch that the borla sounds great on the lt1's...i stopped by a 97 orange ss the other day and figured out who's car it was and had the guy come outside and start it up ..ha yea..im an a$$hole teen..o well...he let it run for a lil while and it sounded great...he also mentioned a million mile warranty thing...he said he had just swapped out his fuel pump and while doing that he sent his borla out and got a brand new one for free...ha i would have to say that my SLP loudmouth that i just put on sounds meaner tho....but the borla is def sick....also if you are going to get headers..i dont think you wanna go loudmouth...i dont know a lot about headers and borla but they might mix well....seems like it...but then again maybe they wont...but yea it sounds great

good luck

by the way i got my loudmouth for $100 used and ive gotten a good 15 compliments in the past 2 weeks ive had it and abotu 50 looks...so its def bada$$....and im guessin it gets pretty good flow since it is pretty much a straightpipe

Originally posted by Cam94Z28
There is a sample of how mine sounds in my sig, You can also have a listen to a better quality clip here
thats my camaro...i let the guy use the clip i made from my laptop...i had a magnaflow muffler on my stock i-pipe...it sounded good but i decided to ditch it and get a loudmouth...it sounds so much meaner at idle...and well at WOT...i think we all know...

Last edited by ThotYouKnew; 08-13-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 AM

ok, fine, i'll post some good borla clips:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...st/383idle.mpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/.../383backup.MPG

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...383windout.MPG

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...ullawayMed.MPG

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...llawaySoft.MPG

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...aust/in383.MPG

Please note,
This is with the cats in, without is sloppy as heck.
He purposely avoided staying 1/2 throttle in the mid RPMS where it sounds like a giant hariball is being expelled from the car.

enjoy.

brent

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust...sound??