LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:26 PM

brakes...

Last trip to the track really killed my autozone specials (pads). The rotors have been funny for a while as well. The set only has about 10k on them. Im really not all that easy on them, but I would like something that would last a little longer. I see Baer has front packages for ~$700. These rotors wouldnt warp would they? Anyone have these? I saw they have 3 kits listed...Street, Street/Strip, and Track or something...

Id like to get this out of the way and not worry. Would it be worth it?
Old 05-04-2003, 09:31 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
when you use brakes hard your gonna use up pads... unavoidable... and as far as rotors go... i've had to have mine cut twice... after letting that abs kick in all those times they warp.... also, unavoidable
Old 05-04-2003, 09:33 PM

Re: brakes...

Originally posted by NineSevenWS6
Last trip to the track really killed my autozone specials (pads). The rotors have been funny for a while as well. The set only has about 10k on them. Im really not all that easy on them, but I would like something that would last a little longer. I see Baer has front packages for ~$700. These rotors wouldnt warp would they? Anyone have these? I saw they have 3 kits listed...Street, Street/Strip, and Track or something...

Id like to get this out of the way and not worry. Would it be worth it?
any product from baer will be good its just the amount of money you have to spend, just dont buy there cross drilled rotors herd many bad things about them mainly stress cracks becasue of bad design flaw
Old 05-04-2003, 09:38 PM

Well, Im not so much worried about the pads as I am the rotors..

The kits also look very nice...

Thanks for the warning chasmanz28.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:23 AM

I would presonally stay away from the baer rotors if they are cross drilled on the kit your looking at. They drill the holes after casting which weakens the metal and they are a lot more likely to crack.

You shouldn't have that bad of a problem with warping as long as you treat your brakes right, give them a good warm up and cool down. - always bed in your pads and rotors.

If you are having problems with brake over heating and don't want to spend the money on a big brake kit, look at running cooling ducts.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Xscream

If you are having problems with brake over heating and don't want to spend the money on a big brake kit, look at running cooling ducts.
Thats a good idea....fairly simple too...
Old 05-05-2003, 10:14 PM

Baer brake kits are available with plain (undrilled/unslotted) rotors.
They use thicker rotors which are actually heavy duty 4th gen Corvette rotors and Corvette (PBR) calipers. The Track kit requires 17" wheels, the Sport kit fits 16" wheels and uses the Corvette rotors cut down in diameter to fit. Baer kits also include braided steel brake lines.,
Brake cooling ducts will help avoid damaging rotors, as will properly torquing your wheels.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:48 AM

NineSevenWS6,

Our Short Stop kit A2350004 will give you 4 new stock size rotors with Turbo slotting. We don't cross drill due to the cracking it usually causes. Our kit will also give you high performance pads. It costs $475, but is 10% off all this month to all members of this site. You can add Xtra Life plating to the rotors for another $200 if you want. This will keep the non-swept areas from rusting. If interested, make sure you saw us on this site to get the discount.

Mark
Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by mark@ssbc
NineSevenWS6,

Our Short Stop kit A2350004 will give you 4 new stock size rotors with Turbo slotting. We don't cross drill due to the cracking it usually causes. Our kit will also give you high performance pads. It costs $475, but is 10% off all this month to all members of this site. You can add Xtra Life plating to the rotors for another $200 if you want. This will keep the non-swept areas from rusting. If interested, make sure you saw us on this site to get the discount.

Mark
What kind of pads do you include? What are they comparible to? A Hawk HP+? Will you sell a similiar kit but only for the fronts. I really don't care about improving my back brakes much more than I already have, but would like to go with a more agressive pad rotor combo on the front.....also want to add Stainless Steel Brake lines all around.

Aaron
Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 AM

Aaron,

The pads are Autospeciality Extreme 911 pads. We could offer front sloted rotors and these pads for $289 (plating would be $100).

As for stainless hoses, I only have them for the front. They are $52.

You'd get 10% off your total purchase (excluding shipping).