LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Brodix LTX heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 PM

That place is right down the road from me. Might have to stop by there one day.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Are all the accessory holes and other LTX/late model specific things there?
This ad photo answers the accessory bolt holes question. I remember seeing this from before so the subject wasn't brought up. But now that I think about it, I hope their LT1 program includes drilling the ports for the steam crossover pipes.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 06-04-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Running them out of the box doesnt seem like they would be any better than a LE2/3 head or AI perhaps, like to see what they do at the hands of a capable head porter. I like seeing the after market expand for us though, AFR has new Heads, Trick Flows suposed to have a new head, same with dart and then these.

Last edited by neil350; 06-05-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM

Besides the PRI show display, there are no Dart LT1 heads in existance.

Besides this company saying they have Brodix LT1 heads in stock, do they really exist? If they are in stock then they have them right? It sounded like a special order item.

Has anyone seen the new AFR LT1 head? It's talked about it but it's not produced yet.

Trick Flow has a new LT1 head? Not that I know of.

It would be nice if one or all of these companies would produce an LT1 head.

Keep asking for them and bugging the reps. Otherwise it will never happen.

Karl
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by quickSS
Besides the PRI show display, there are no Dart LT1 heads in existance.

Besides this company saying they have Brodix LT1 heads in stock, do they really exist? If they are in stock then they have them right? It sounded like a special order item.

Has anyone seen the new AFR LT1 head? It's talked about it but it's not produced yet.

Trick Flow has a new LT1 head? Not that I know of.

It would be nice if one or all of these companies would produce an LT1 head.

Keep asking for them and bugging the reps. Otherwise it will never happen.

Karl

Oh no here we go with the AFR eliminator again. The LT1 version of those heads are 5 years out probably. They still haven't fully developed the SBC line last I talked to them.

The Trick flows I think were just revised. Not a total new head.

Its good to see some more offerings comming out.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Oh no here we go with the AFR eliminator again. The LT1 version of those heads are 5 years out probably. They still haven't fully developed the SBC line last I talked to them.

You see what I'm trying to say? I'm saying that all of these heads are talked about but they do not exist "YET". (accept the Trick Flows).

I wish they did but they don't. Dart/Brodix/AFR Eliminator LT1 do not exist yet for anyone to purchase. Someone please prove me wrong.

Karl
Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by quickSS
I wish they did but they don't. Dart/Brodix/AFR Eliminator LT1 do not exist yet for anyone to purchase. Someone please prove me wrong.

Karl
I'm going to pretend to not notice that you just called me a liar, and instead invite you to call MBE Performance yourself:

(704)662-7901
Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM

I just called both Jeg's and Summit, and neither one of them had these heads in their system. So I got the direct number to Brodix from the Jeg's rep and just got off the phone with one of their techs. He confirmed everything that the MBE guy said. They're the SBC "Race Rite" heads that Brodix implemented an LT1 machining regimen for. He did say that Brodix doesn't plan on mass producing these to the extent that they will be off-the-shelf stock items, but will be made on a custom order "as needed" basis. He did also confirm that the heads will be drilled with the ports for the steam crossover pipes as well.

Here's Brodix's number for anyone who cares to verify this:

(479) 394-1075
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Rob, I did call. They have nothing in stock. They said..."err..ahhh. no we don't have any in stock...we order them from Brodix and Brodix machines a 23degree head to our spec....". Isn't that basically what you said too?

What I did say was that the Brodix LT1 head does not exist.

I also said the Dart LT1 does not exist yet. That, I just found out, is not true. Dart made a few for SLP and what SLP did with them they do not know. But, Dart is making 40 LT1 (Pro 1 -180cc) as we speak. That is 20 pair. They would make a good head for a mild 350/355LT1.

Karl
Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1

Its good to see some more offerings comming out.
I've dogged Tony Mamo pretty hard regarding some of the things AFR has said regarding performance to the point of challenging him to send me a set of his new LT1 AFR heads and have them independently flowed and examined to make sure they are not ringers.

Tony has offered to send me a set of his new Ltx heads to install on my car comparing the performance of his 195 CNC head to my ported Trick Flows that do flow an honest 305+ cfm making 483 rwhp.

Running into a bunch of little issues throwing the car off that I think I finally got under control, but part of the deal is a before and after fresh dyno sheet to compare his heads to mine. Hopefully will have the car on the dyno within the next week and have it 100% so I can send him the dyno sheets.

Based upon that and the fact some people have received the new 195 AFR’s, I’d say five years to see them is not the case. Now are they as good as AFR says they are?? Maybe, with a little luck we’ll get to see just how good they are but I have a bunch of bucks into the Trick Flows so it takes ***** for Tony to offer comparison.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
I've dogged Tony Mamo pretty hard regarding some of the things AFR has said regarding performance to the point of challenging him to send me a set of his new LT1 AFR heads and have them independently flowed and examined to make sure they are not ringers.

Tony has offered to send me a set of his new Ltx heads to install on my car comparing the performance of his 195 CNC head to my ported Trick Flows that do flow an honest 305+ cfm making 483 rwhp.

Running into a bunch of little issues throwing the car off that I think I finally got under control, but part of the deal is a before and after fresh dyno sheet to compare his heads to mine. Hopefully will have the car on the dyno within the next week and have it 100% so I can send him the dyno sheets.

Based upon that and the fact some people have received the new 195 AFR’s, I’d say five years to see them is not the case. Now are they as good as AFR says they are?? Maybe, with a little luck we’ll get to see just how good they are but I have a bunch of bucks into the Trick Flows so it takes ***** for Tony to offer comparison.
Any updates here? I'm very interested ...
Old 06-19-2007, 12:52 PM

You saying you have a set of "LTx AFR Eliminators" bolted on and others do as well??

About 3 months ago when I was really head shopping I called AFR and spoke to them about getting a set of heads and it was a wasted phone call. They told me they didn't have any Elimnators through development yet for the LTx and hadn't even started on them as they were still going throught the SBC line up. They told me they had finished up to the 195's but had not gotten any further through the SBC line which would be completed before the LTx series was even looked at. I would have converted a set of 215 or 227 eliminators if they had them. The rep on the phone said at least a year and we all know AFR is with time lines.

They had one set of LTx RR215cc on the shelf that needed to be machined before they knew of the castings would be good, and that would take a month. Or they had 2 sets of LTx227's that were the same thing, a month wait to even see if they were any good.

I tried talking to a couple different places and they wouldn't touch bare AFR's from having bad castings in the past.

Atleast AFR was honest with me, but judging from that and the fact that the Eliminators took so long to come to the market scared me away. I think I got a better set of heads anyway.

Last edited by 95ttoplt1; 06-19-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
You saying you have a set of "LTx AFR Eliminators" bolted on and others do as well??

They had one set of LTx RR215cc on the shelf that needed to be machined before they knew of the castings would be good, and that would take a month. Or they had 2 sets of LTx227's that were the same thing, a month wait to even see if they were any good.

I tried talking to a couple different places and they wouldn't touch bare AFR's from having bad castings in the past.

Atleast AFR was honest with me, but judging from that and the fact that the Eliminators took so long to come to the market scared me away. I think I got a better set of heads anyway.
Interesting. All I can tell ya is what I know.

Someone on another forum said they got a set of 195 LTx Eliminator heads and posted the flow numbers which really were impressive IF they were real. Tony did contact me because I’ve been hell on wheels on him because of exactly what you just said regarding AFR and past performance issues I’ve ran into. He swears he has found religion in his new heads and wants to use me as a guinea pig because of my past criticism as he feels his new heads will outperform my current heavily worked over TFS heads.

I haven't talked to or e-mailed Tony in close to a month trying to get my car 100% and waiting on weather/dyno availability. The offer was to send me a set of the new CNC 195 LTx heads to compare the performance to my ported Trick Flows. Before they ship the heads, I needed to send them my intake and a head so they could make sure my sheetmetal intake would bolt on and match up correctly and also provide a fresh dyno sheet to do a before/after. Tony called it the “Pepsi Challenge.”

Think I have my issues resolved but still having issues with horrible N TX weather and scheduling dyno time has been ruff because the shop I use has been snowed. Another issue that has me concerned is my current powerband is absolutely killer and pulling heads all the time is a pain in the butt..!! Would feel much better is they were 210’s instead of 195’s even though Tony feels the 195’s will make better power than what I have now. Dunno???

If the weather/dyno clears up in a reasonable timeframe we’ll get it retuned, pull the heads and send the stuff off to him. If there is much of delay my schedule is about to get real busy so it may have to wait a while.

Now you know as much as I do and probably more.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Interesting. All I can tell ya is what I know.

Someone on another forum said they got a set of 195 LTx Eliminator heads and posted the flow numbers which really were impressive IF they were real. Tony did contact me because I’ve been hell on wheels on him because of exactly what you just said regarding AFR and past performance issues I’ve ran into. He swears he has found religion in his new heads and wants to use me as a guinea pig because of my past criticism as he feels his new heads will outperform my current heavily worked over TFS heads.

I haven't talked to or e-mailed Tony in close to a month trying to get my car 100% and waiting on weather/dyno availability. The offer was to send me a set of the new CNC 195 LTx heads to compare the performance to my ported Trick Flows. Before they ship the heads, I needed to send them my intake and a head so they could make sure my sheetmetal intake would bolt on and match up correctly and also provide a fresh dyno sheet to do a before/after. Tony called it the “Pepsi Challenge.”

Think I have my issues resolved but still having issues with horrible N TX weather and scheduling dyno time has been ruff because the shop I use has been snowed. Another issue that has me concerned is my current powerband is absolutely killer and pulling heads all the time is a pain in the butt..!! Would feel much better is they were 210’s instead of 195’s even though Tony feels the 195’s will make better power than what I have now. Dunno???

If the weather/dyno clears up in a reasonable timeframe we’ll get it retuned, pull the heads and send the stuff off to him. If there is much of delay my schedule is about to get real busy so it may have to wait a while.

Now you know as much as I do and probably more.
I wonder if the other heads were really the Eliminators, I will email AFR and see whats up.

From talking to a couple of different porters about them they all seemed kinda suspesious of the AFR's castings and said they were an old design. Not nessasarily a bad think but that they were notorius for core shift and that was a major issue in the delay's AFR has.

Let me find the old email and send them a new one.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Some excerps from my email back and forth from AFR on Mar 1st 2007.

Hi Troy,

The SBC gen I 227 eliminator heads are going to be 5 or 6 months out, we just finished the go-by (prototype) this past December. We still have to get the programming done, tool, castings, ect. We wont be taking orders for another 2 months.

Hi Troy,

The 227cc LT eliminator heads are at least 9 months out, we are still working on the Gen I 227 heads and those are at least 5 months out. Unfortunately due to the design differences between Gen I and Gen II a conversion or retro fit isn't going to be possible.

Troy,

Your options right now for LT stuff is going to be very limited....we have 2 and i literally mean 2 sets of 215LT castings and 1 set of 220LT castings; that's it. And the castings are guaranteed 100% to be good, we wouldn't know until we actually machined the head and pressure tested it.

Quick Reply: Brodix LTX heads