LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Building a custom cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:30 PM

Building a custom cam

I have been looking into a custom cam for my car and doing the swap out after a few dyno pulls with the old set up just for a good base line...

I have been reading and asking some people about custom cams and i am just wondering why thay are asking the questions that they are in relation to the cam

1-flow numbers ...i thing we all no this ....but if my flow numbers peak @ 600... Joe O said he only needs the numbers to .500 ? what about everthing above .500....

2-fuel injectors-why
3- car weight-why
4-all the bolt on's..
5-m6/a4
6-tuning skills
7-rear end gear
8-what is the goal with the car...
Why all these question and how will they make a better cam for me..

more insight on what go's into a custom cam and why...would be great...

and just for fun build a bad a$$ custom came the you can use as a D/D and (H/R cam)

thx
Old 02-22-2004, 09:02 PM

any help here
Old 02-22-2004, 09:26 PM

The more info you provide your cam grinder, the more they can make the cam suit your exact needs. The more questions they ask the better imo. With this info they can grind you a cam that will make more power and have much greater driveability than anything you coulod buy off the shelf.
Kory
Old 02-22-2004, 09:41 PM

Yes you are right the more questions they ask the better the cam they can make for you ...but why do they ask these questions...how dose it work in the making of the cam
Old 02-22-2004, 09:50 PM

The reason he only cares about up to .500 is the rest doesnt really matter. Think about it, the valve spends its time twice at all those lower lift numbers in each cycle, but only once at its peak lift. Most all the "REAL" power is made in the lower lift #'s, at least where it matters most.

Weight, he can shoot for different numbers, if it weighs less, it requires less "work" to move it, so he can make the power at a different RPM.

Basically, if youre wondering why he needs to know, then dont worry about it, he needs to know it, and he has a reason, Im surprised he didnt tell you what its all about...."COMBINATION"...that is what going fast is all about, its not about peak flow #s, or peak dyno numbers, or anything like that, its about the combination.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Schurters LT1
Yes you are right the more questions they ask the better the cam they can make for you ...but why do they ask these questions...how dose it work in the making of the cam
A good engine designer is trying to make an engine that fits your car and the kind of driving you do with it. Your engine spends very little time at the max hp rpm, so every rpm you use below that is important.

IMO, most good engine designers will give you an engine that produces the most average torque and hp in the rpm range you are using it...or at least they should be.

A couple of points:

If you have 2000 rpm stall converter in an A4 with 2.73 gears, you probably wouldn't be very happy with an engine that doesn't get any significant torque until 4500. The race will be over for you before you get to 4500 in 1st! Similarly, if you have a 4500 stall converter or launch at 5000 (M6), good slicks, 4.10 gear, and your primary use of the car is drag racing, 2000 rpm torque isn't much use to you. Big difference in the correct cam for those two applications.

The engine designer (cam designer) takes into account all of the engine specs you have provided as well as the vehicle specs, and tries to design an engine with a torque (or hp if you wish) curve that fits what you have and what you want. If the only thing he can spec is the cam, he'll try to choose one that makes the most of what you have.

The cam is the last thing chosen in the engine/driveline/vehicle package. IMO, at least, that's how it should be.

My $.02