LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A/C Delete Question - Air Baffles/Belt/Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM

A/C Delete Question - Air Baffles/Belt/Firewall

I've decided to take the plunge and do an A/C delete for the car. I'd like to do it right and am wondering what I will need to consider for doing the job. I've done a fair bit of forum/google searching and still have a few lingering questions.

I know I will need a 1LE Delete Pulley (No Aftermarket Dorman crap for me), with that said....
  • Belt Size - Reading a few posts seems to indicate this, but I'm somewhat foggy, some say the 1LE pulley allows you to keep the factory size belt (I'm using a 642 Gatorback currently). Anyone able to clear this up for me?
  • Air Baffling - After removing the Condenser in front of the Radiator how do I seal up the gaps to ensure air is forced over the radiator? Is there a GM part to get for this?
  • Firewall Thingy -Not sure what to call it, where the A/C hoses go into the firewall. Can this be removed without going into the dash? Is there blockoff plate for this anywhere?
  • Dash Stuff - If the the firewall thingy above is removable from the engine bay, what do I need to do to properly remove the AC system (Evaporator core) from under the dash?
Thanks for any help! I may post some before/after pictures once I begin this

Last edited by TobyZ28; 09-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Re: A/C Delete Question - Air Baffles/Belt/Firewall

Found out that this part may answer my question the air baffles:

Assembly Details| Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Part #18 above looks to be identical to Part #22 below. I think the air baffles fit just fine against the radiator instead of the A/C condenser so no special parts are needed.
Does anyone know what #4 or #17 is in the first picture? They don't exist in the lower diagram:

http://shbox.com/1/radiator_mounting.jpg

Last edited by TobyZ28; 09-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM

PM me. I have an AC Delete pulley if your are interested. Brand new GM part.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by TobyZ28
  • Air Baffling - After removing the Condenser in front of the Radiator how do I seal up the gaps to ensure air is forced over the radiator? Is there a GM part to get for this?
  • Firewall Thingy -Not sure what to call it, where the A/C hoses go into the firewall. Can this be removed without going into the dash? Is there blockoff plate for this anywhere?
  • Dash Stuff - If the the firewall thingy above is removable from the engine bay, what do I need to do to properly remove the AC system (Evaporator core) from under the dash?
You can seal the radiator to the core support with some foam padding or other insulator from a local hardware store. Just clean the surface before you try to adhere it or it won't stay put long.

The box on the firewall is removable. BMR sells a plate to cover the hole or you can make your own with some sheet metal.

If you're going to remove all of the AC vents and ducting you're probably better off pulling the dash to get at it. I'd recommend leaving that stuff in place along with the heater core as that is what works the defroster.