LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cam install now nasty miss

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
I wasn't going to say it.
I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but common sense must prevail!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:46 PM

the extent of my fbody knowledge is installing headers, past that i dont know whats going on. picked up a few tips from the installer but i still wouldnt attempt it. (cam)
Old 02-16-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by OffspringZ28
the extent of my fbody knowledge is installing headers, past that i dont know whats going on. picked up a few tips from the installer but i still wouldnt attempt it. (cam)
Keep plugging at it. You will get there. I'm not trying to rag anyone out. Read all you can (not just about stuff you are having trouble with at the time) and look at lots of pics. I learn new stuff almost every day.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM

im trying, i live on ur tech site.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:18 PM

have you reseated the opti yet? i'm betting on the opti still giving you problems even after you get everything hooked up. when i installed a new opti the new one took forever to slide on perfectly flush. i had to reseat it several times and when i got it right it just slid right on no problems. i know it's going to be a pain in the a$$ but why risk it failing down the road because of an improper install?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 PM

ok well, the car def runs better but still misses. although sometimes (esp. in the colder weather we've had recently) it runs 100% and screams at wot. which is why i dont think it is the opti at all. maybe i have bad plugs? because of an 02 hiccup i unplugged one of the 02's from its extender to go into "limp home mode" in which the car ran fine, just not the best gas mileage. been like this for a couple months. because the car is a daily and im a full time student i dont really have time to diagnose problems as much as id like to. i just dont get it, in the cold weather it seems to run fine, albeit still stumble now and then (at night, early morning etc).
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by OffspringZ28
ok well, the car def runs better but still misses. although sometimes (esp. in the colder weather we've had recently) it runs 100% and screams at wot. which is why i dont think it is the opti at all. maybe i have bad plugs? because of an 02 hiccup i unplugged one of the 02's from its extender to go into "limp home mode" in which the car ran fine, just not the best gas mileage. been like this for a couple months. because the car is a daily and im a full time student i dont really have time to diagnose problems as much as id like to. i just dont get it, in the cold weather it seems to run fine, albeit still stumble now and then (at night, early morning etc).
Unplugged an O2, car ran fine?? Does that tell you anything???
Old 02-18-2004, 09:49 PM

its still unplugged.....
Old 02-19-2004, 09:33 AM

basically sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it misses or rather, stutters. seems to be running a lot better than when i first posted this though. do i just need a tune? am i feeling cam surge?
Old 02-19-2004, 04:51 PM

TTT.....
Old 03-02-2004, 11:02 PM

well the i reset the computer and it runs BETTER but its not there yet. once again sometimes it will run fine, good enough to the point where i can even floor it in 6th and it wont buck or anything. then other times it will seem to miss all through the rpm range. this is very trying. i feel like i am so close.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 PM

i say redo the opti...

u getting any SES codes?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:34 PM

Chris,

Why don't you fix the o2 first and reset the pcm? Try and give that a shot. I dunno what else to think. Maybe the maf? Try unplugging the maf and running it in speed density mode.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:49 AM

having similar problem, mine begins to miss about high 3 to 4K and all the way up (w/ cc306) runs better when cool but still not what it should be by any means, brand new opti, people i talk to think it's running lean up top....i still have STOCK injectors, imean original ones...and i am hoping that some 30#s and regulator may cure it...any suggestions
Old 03-03-2004, 10:13 AM

i doubt your (our) problem is related to fuel. both cams we have are still driveable with the stock tune. what i feel is an actual miss, the seems to stutter and then if i let off the throttle a little it will smooth out. i am waiting on my AKM cable to get here so i can drive the car around and see what exactly is acting up. Free scan should be sufficient. I just dont know what to look for. I guess if all the sensors check out ok then it is prolly the opti or a burned wire? I dont think its either of those though because of the way the car will run fine for a couple of minutes then get squirley again.

Quick Reply: Cam install now nasty miss