LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cam lopeyness

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:57 PM

cam lopeyness

I am looking for a nice street cam that will give me some good power, but mostly im concerned with the sound. I love it when it sounds nice and lopey. whats the lopiest cam? Is the lt4 hotcam good? What do you think sounds the best? Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Re: cam lopeyness

go with a cc306 heard it has good sound
Old 10-20-2004, 03:25 PM

The hot cam on an otherwise stock engine sounds pretty nice, and it's bark doesn't come with the penalties of a much larger cam.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:29 PM

if all you are going for is a cam that lopes, find one that has a narrow LSA and high duration. overlap is what causes the lope. however, it will suck for fuel mileage and bring down low end torque. something with an advertised duration of 290+ and a LSA of 110 or lower will lope pretty good. if you want that wicked pro street sounding lope go for an advertised duration of 300+ and a LSA of 108-106. It really wont perform well on a stock motor though.

a Combination Motorsports 227/233 on a 111* LSA would be good middle ground probably.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:35 PM

I will second the comment about the hotcam. I have a 230/236, but a friend's car definitely sounds like it has a bigger cam, even though it's a hotcam. I think it has to do with the exhaust setup and the idle speed. My idle is set up at 1000 rpm. I have two mufflers as well to tame the sound (bullet plus Hooker cat-back.)
Old 10-20-2004, 06:44 PM

I see, I want a streetable cam with not so bad fuel efficiency. So Im gunna go with the Lt4 hot cam like the others say. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 PM

I've heard hotcam and if you want loping I don't think you will be all that impressed with it. Given it is better than stock but I don't think it's all that noticeable, JMO. The cc306 lope is just awesome but its a high rpm cam, so depending on what type of driving and stress you want to put on engine something smaller might be better. I think the cc305 sounds better than hotcam as well. But this is all just my opinion and everyones is different. Good luck no matter what you decide.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:38 PM

Why not get a cam to maximize power and driveablility. Then you can get a recording of a cam sound clip and play. As it is absolutely retarded to select a cam based on sound.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Why not get a cam to maximize power and driveablility. Then you can get a recording of a cam sound clip and play. As it is absolutely retarded to select a cam based on sound.
I agree. That's why I believe the hotcam to be a super compromise between total streetability and lope. BTW, a CC305 on a 114 LSA doesn't sound as lopey as a hotcam on a 112 LSA, yet both have similar, if not equal, power gains and street manners depending on a few variables.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 PM

ok well you see, I want a cam that will give me good power at regular rpms... idont want to have to get to red line to feel the power i want it all on the low end. I also want the best sounding cam becuase when I heard my friends Mti x-1 cam on his z06 i told myself i hvae to get a cam... just for sound. I don;t really care about performance becuaseevery cam will somehow give me good gains. I do care about the lope alot.... thats what floats my boat.... so now im debating on either the cc305 or the Lt4..... for my purposes what do you reccomend, why wouldnt the lt4 HOTCAM be a good choie?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike44Mike
ok well you see, I want a cam that will give me good power at regular rpms... idont want to have to get to red line to feel the power i want it all on the low end. I also want the best sounding cam becuase when I heard my friends Mti x-1 cam on his z06 i told myself i hvae to get a cam... just for sound. I don;t really care about performance becuaseevery cam will somehow give me good gains. I do care about the lope alot.... thats what floats my boat.... so now im debating on either the cc305 or the Lt4..... for my purposes what do you reccomend, why wouldnt the lt4 HOTCAM be a good choie?
The LT4 hotcam is pretty much the same as the CC305 assuming they are both ground on a 112 LSA. The hotcam is just much cheaper. If you really want it to lope you could get the LSA ground on like a 108 but i believe as you lower the LSA the cam gets more peaky rather than a broader power band. I will still never understand the trend on this board of people buying cams just for the sound. If you want a super lopey cam i would get a CC306 on a 110.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Ok but you say that the lt4 cam would work good with current head conditions. So would it be a waste to port and polish heads and intake manifold and get a bigger TB? I wana be Low 12's, becuase that would be good on the street.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike44Mike
Ok but you say that the lt4 cam would work good with current head conditions. So would it be a waste to port and polish heads and intake manifold and get a bigger TB? I wana be Low 12's, becuase that would be good on the street.
A hotcam will benefit from ported heads. Usually about 30rwhp. Usually stockhead hotcam put down 325-330 rwhp and heads ant hotcam put down 350-360rwhp. Don't waste money on a ported intake. Phil at AI told me that porting the intake on a head & cam car really isn't worth it. The Bigger TB might help. I've heard that the 52mm is a waste and go right to 58mm. I have a 58mm but how much it helped i don't really know.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 PM

wow heads and cam can get a LT1 to 360rwhp? thats incredible! I hope Im reading that right.
well ok, if i get a lt4 hotcam with a decent head job along with the full exhuast (Lt's with borla catback) will that get me in low 12's? Im not gunna port the intake or get the TB anymore youre right I dont think it would be that efficent in this case, but a cold air intake would be. lets say I do this, how do you think it will sound/perform. will i be in the 400rwhp range?

Last edited by Mike44Mike; 10-20-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM

O and by the way your camaro is the nicest looking camaro I have seen. I actually was looking at your car on car domain last week and thought it was incredible. And now I find out were actually posting together... I wouldnt have even guessed it was you if you didnt have that link to your Z in your sig.

Quick Reply: cam lopeyness