LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cam lopeyness

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:13 PM

Re: cam lopeyness

XE 227/233 I heard is supposed to be the king right now. Its supposed to be awesome for daily drivers and give awesome power gains while supplying an excellent lope. I was told 360rwhp with the cam and long tube headers with a few other supporting mods of course. Thats what i'm getting and I live in Jersey and have to drive this thing everyday and I live in an area very similar to the city.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:56 PM

Talking Re: cam lopeyness

ok, here's the deal. You say you want your cake and eat it too (IE you want the low end and streetability of the cc305, but want the lopy as hell idle of a monster cam). well, okey dokey.. Yes, you CAN have both worlds. Go and buy the followng..

Comp Cams CC305 cam
Use either 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. Since you don't care much about the performance, just stick with the stock rockers.
buy and MSD 6AL ignition box (don't bother with the digital-6 or anything fancy. Your not in it for maximum boogie.
Buy an MSD adjustable timing controller. The one that has a **** you can turn and mount it in the passenger compartment.

OK. Parts are all installed. Turn the **** all the way to 15 (IE NO timing retard). It'll idle like a normal cc305 install, which is WAYYY mild. NOW, turn the little magic dial down to something like 7 or 8, pulling about half of the timing out of the motor at idle. Damn thing will sound like a super stocker! Now you can make your rounds in the parking lot to impress the troops and enjoy your lopey cam. Just remember to turn the dial back up to 15 when you leave.

See, you CAN have it all. You just can't have it all all of the time.

Ask me how I know this works. hehe

Dave C.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:17 AM

Well my Erson solid roller lopes about as hard as you'll find that's streetable. Considering it's ground on a 106LSA and has around .660 lift, plus I'm running hooker longtubes with 3" true dual bullets, might not be a very good cam for a stock car though But, I must say it does sound wicked just trying to cruise around
Old 11-06-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
ok, here's the deal. You say you want your cake and eat it too (IE you want the low end and streetability of the cc305, but want the lopy as hell idle of a monster cam). well, okey dokey.. Yes, you CAN have both worlds. Go and buy the followng..

Comp Cams CC305 cam
Use either 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. Since you don't care much about the performance, just stick with the stock rockers.
buy and MSD 6AL ignition box (don't bother with the digital-6 or anything fancy. Your not in it for maximum boogie.
Buy an MSD adjustable timing controller. The one that has a **** you can turn and mount it in the passenger compartment.

OK. Parts are all installed. Turn the **** all the way to 15 (IE NO timing retard). It'll idle like a normal cc305 install, which is WAYYY mild. NOW, turn the little magic dial down to something like 7 or 8, pulling about half of the timing out of the motor at idle. Damn thing will sound like a super stocker! Now you can make your rounds in the parking lot to impress the troops and enjoy your lopey cam. Just remember to turn the dial back up to 15 when you leave.

See, you CAN have it all. You just can't have it all all of the time.

Ask me how I know this works. hehe

Dave C.

That might be the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 30696bird
Ok I'm a F'ing liar.........I HAVE!!!!!! the cc306 and it drives great.....of course that is my dream world Now I must say, the reason I have good driving conditions is PROBLY because of my tune. Thanks Ion!! And a bigger shock is I have good power on take off . Maybe comp cams sent me the wrong cam...............oh wait, I bought the cam from COMP CAMS NEW, then had the machine shop check its specs before it was installed to make sure I had the right lift #'s! If you would like I can scan the cam card that came with it, and to prove it's me and my card in the picture (not some photo off the net) I can put my hand in the picture with my middle finger pointing up or what ever you would like me to do. And yes, I took this personal like you were calling me a liar.

It really does not bother me you think it's not possible, but you should not rag on a cam you must not have a clue about.
I've been busy and kinda forgot about this post. I had Ion tune my 227 and
it was better than stock, by far. I then had a dyno tune which improved it
even more. It will still surge a bit at times. During the same dyno tune I saw
several cars with more cam (i.e., 220/230, 230/240) and even the smallest
had way more surge than the 227. Surge that I would consider unacceptable.

I'm not ragging on big cams. Big cams are awesome. All I would say is that
a 306 has no where near stock drivability (like a 227), even with the best tune.
Now in a 383 it may be a bit more tolearable.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:51 PM

When you say street driveability... what do you mean? Whats different then a stocker cam?
Old 11-07-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
When you say street driveability... what do you mean? Whats different then a stocker cam?
When you are in rush hour traffic in first or second gear (M6) going at about
1200 to 1500 rpm without any surge at all. That is near stock drivability.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by truedualws6
I've been busy and kinda forgot about this post. I had Ion tune my 227 and
it was better than stock, by far. I then had a dyno tune which improved it
even more. It will still surge a bit at times. During the same dyno tune I saw
several cars with more cam (i.e., 220/230, 230/240) and even the smallest
had way more surge than the 227. Surge that I would consider unacceptable.

I'm not ragging on big cams. Big cams are awesome. All I would say is that
a 306 has no where near stock drivability (like a 227), even with the best tune.
Now in a 383 it may be a bit more tolearable.

I have a 350 there is no surge. Believe what you want. If you're ever in the area of north Georgia I'll give you a ride sometime!

*edit* I guess some people can't handle being wrong.

Last edited by 30696bird; 11-07-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:17 PM

Well... isn't a cam surge just surging up a down a few rpms? How major can a cam surge get? WIth a tune from Ion @ MadZ28 how much of a cam surge you think i'll get with a XE 227/233?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner28
Ok, then YOU tell me a better way to get a small off the shelf cam to lope like a huge one, cause that's exactly what this guy is asking for. No, it doesn't do ANYTHING for performance. No it's not ideal. But does it produce the sound he's looking for? Umm.. Yeah, sure does.

Dave C.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner28

I couldn't agree more. That has to be the most retarded thing I've heard this week... Why would someone do something that stupid just for the sound of a cam, why not just install a larger cam in the first place? I ran a cc306 for a long time in my old car and drove it every day. Now I'm running an Erson .660 solid roller cam and a 4800rpm converter through a th-350. I consider it streetable givin the fact I drive it nearly every day. Just my $.02
Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by carbed93Z
I couldn't agree more. That has to be the most retarded thing I've heard this week... Why would someone do something that stupid just for the sound of a cam, why not just install a larger cam in the first place? I ran a cc306 for a long time in my old car and drove it every day. Now I'm running an Erson .660 solid roller cam and a 4800rpm converter through a th-350. I consider it streetable givin the fact I drive it nearly every day. Just my $.02
I think you and I share a similar definition of streetable. "Can you drive it on the street? Yep. It's streetable." (Even though my setup isn't as crazy as yours...yet...)
Old 11-09-2004, 11:05 AM

if you plan on sticking with stock heads, the hotcam, 305, 224/230 and the 227/233 are great options. Even if you get your heads ported these are great cams! Now a lot of people prefer the 230/236 or even the 847. With a great tune, any of these cams can be streetable on a stock ci 350.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Im glad two of you agree with what you think is streetable, however I believe you are in a small minority. And why the hell would you call the timing controller a stupid idea? That is an awesome idea. Do you have any idea how many people install a cam, with their prime reason being sound? A WHOLE LOT MORE than will admit it, ill tell you that much. We sometimes spend upwards of 700 dollars on awesome sounding exhaust systems, when a 200 dollar system will peform the same, but what where we looking for? THE SOUND! So why is it stupid when you do something like this to get that awesome sound to impress people with? Who cares if all your doing is retarding the timing?! I sure as hell dont. I think its a damn good idea.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:37 AM

Maybe it's just you and the other guy that think that's "so cool". Sounds like a dumbass idea to me and at least one other person. Why would you just want it to sound good? I always thought the reason for a cam swap was for a power increase. RETARDing the timing 8 or 9 degrees to run like crap, for a "cool sound" is just like it says, RETARDED.

Quick Reply: cam lopeyness