LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cam lopeyness

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Re: cam lopeyness

Originally Posted by carbed93Z
Maybe it's just you and the other guy that think that's "so cool". Sounds like a dumbass idea to me and at least one other person. Why would you just want it to sound good? I always thought the reason for a cam swap was for a power increase. RETARDing the timing 8 or 9 degrees to run like crap, for a "cool sound" is just like it says, RETARDED.
Do you think people that put systems in their cars are RETARDED as well? what about people who spend money to make their cars look nice? Pretty dumb people. I mean, it doesnt help performance at all.

Ever think, that some people just want something different than you? I'd say the most RETARDED person in this thread is you.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 PM

Jerry Springer live CamaroZ28.com edition. I guess we all have reasons for the things we do to cars. Sometimes it is to be cool in our own eyes, sometimes it is to be cool in other peoples eyes and sometime it is just plain being fast. If we didn't have our own unique ways of modding cars we would all be driving friggin Yugo's with AM radios with one speaker in the middle of the dash. To each thier own, live and let live type of thing. The notion of making your car sound like a pro stocker is no worse than the notion of your car sounding like a Metallica concert. I actually think the idea of retarding the timing via a MSD control box is a pretty intovative idea. Maybe the origional poster loves the sound but lives in an emmission state and can't run a big cam. We all have our reasons for doing what we do. I speak from first hand experience of being bashed almost on a daily basis because i transplant American V8 engines into German sports cars. I have been acused of beind retarded, warped, ripping the soul out of a car, and violating all that is holy of the German Sports Car Church. Do I care? Do I get offended? Sure. However when fire up the one of the fastest normally aspired 944's on the planet, that does sound like a pro stocker, all that bullsh** goes away because I remember i am not trying to impress anyone but myself. Those of you all that build unique cars, F-body or otherwise, do those that can'y talk trash to mask thier inability to do so. Kinda like the grade school bully picking on the smart kid because he can't figure out long division. I think calling fellow members of a somewhat elite forum names is very counterproductive to all that read the posts. It will make people afraid to answer questions or worse yet ask them. This forum is in my opinion one of the best resources on the web. No real point here, I am too old to make points. Maybe a semi-famous quote will smooth things out. As Regional Denning said "Can't we all just get a bong"

Last edited by 944v8inDFW; 11-09-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by vin1382
I'd say the most RETARDED person in this thread is you.

Ow, that one hurt. Oh, let me guess, do you use an MSD timing control for the "lumpy cam sound" also?? Putting stereo systems in a car is not intended to make a car faster, nor is appearance mods. But installing a cam, that's what they're for, well, for the most of us. If you want sound, just unplug a spark plug wire or two, you'll get that "cool lumpy cam sound" and it'll run about the same as retarding the timing 10 degrees. And you'll even save some money not needing the MSD timing control. I'm not trying to hi-jack this guys thread, so can we get back to the original subject? If not, I can bicker like this all day.

Last edited by carbed93Z; 11-09-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 PM

opinions are like @$$holes...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike44Mike
I am looking for a nice street cam that will give me some good power, but mostly im concerned with the sound. I love it when it sounds nice and lopey. whats the lopiest cam? Is the lt4 hotcam good? What do you think sounds the best? Thanks
I quoted the original question for those of you who are squirming in your seat at the very thought of someone not caring about performace as much as you. (I'm NOT one of those, but everyone has their part to play ). I posted up what amounts to one fo the oldest tricks in the book as far as getting a car to sound different without much difficulty. I didn't "discover" it or have a patent on it. It was being done long before I was born (well, maybe not LOOONG before, but long enough ).

By the verbage of the original post, I suspect (and assume, even though I know I should NEVER assume anything) that the guys car is basically stock (IE he's got no sig), and he's looking for sound over performace. (holy crap! God forbid someone doesn't care about a couple more tenths!) The timing trick is the hot ticket for someone like him. He gets to keep his car running as he's used to (basically), and still gets his fun in the parking lot on sat night.

To tell ya the truth, I'm really more astonished that someone who runs a carbed 4th gen would even suggest that something like this was retarded. I suppose that rat rods are pretty retarded too, since they like to run old flatheads on strombergs, even though they could drop in a crate small block and have twice the power. Oh, and lets not forget about the 50 street rod guys with the to extra coils, two extra plugs, and an ignition cut-out. Those flames coming out the tailpipe don't do jack for anything or anybody other than look freakin COOL!

Oh well. Sorry to get your panties in a wad over this. You do what you wanna do and I'll do what I wanna do. OBTW, I found this trick out AFTER I had a timing controller. I put the controller on there to try and tame a 12.5:1 383 on pump gas, and it works pretty damn well if I say so myself.

Donning my nomex
Dave C.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 944v8inDFW
Jerry Springer live CamaroZ28.com edition. I guess we all have reasons for the things we do to cars. Sometimes it is to be cool in our own eyes, sometimes it is to be cool in other peoples eyes and sometime it is just plain being fast. If we didn't have our own unique ways of modding cars we would all be driving friggin Yugo's with AM radios with one speaker in the middle of the dash. To each thier own, live and let live type of thing. The notion of making your car sound like a pro stocker is no worse than the notion of your car sounding like a Metallica concert. I actually think the idea of retarding the timing via a MSD control box is a pretty intovative idea. Maybe the origional poster loves the sound but lives in an emmission state and can't run a big cam. We all have our reasons for doing what we do. I speak from first hand experience of being bashed almost on a daily basis because i transplant American V8 engines into German sports cars. I have been acused of beind retarded, warped, ripping the soul out of a car, and violating all that is holy of the German Sports Car Church. Do I care? Do I get offended? Sure. However when fire up the one of the fastest normally aspired 944's on the planet, that does sound like a pro stocker, all that bullsh** goes away because I remember i am not trying to impress anyone but myself. Those of you all that build unique cars, F-body or otherwise, do those that can'y talk trash to mask thier inability to do so. Kinda like the grade school bully picking on the smart kid because he can't figure out long division. I think calling fellow members of a somewhat elite forum names is very counterproductive to all that read the posts. It will make people afraid to answer questions or worse yet ask them. This forum is in my opinion one of the best resources on the web. No real point here, I am too old to make points. Maybe a semi-famous quote will smooth things out. As Regional Denning said "Can't we all just get a bong"

well said...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
ok, here's the deal. You say you want your cake and eat it too (IE you want the low end and streetability of the cc305, but want the lopy as hell idle of a monster cam). well, okey dokey.. Yes, you CAN have both worlds. Go and buy the followng..

Comp Cams CC305 cam
Use either 1.5 or 1.6 rockers. Since you don't care much about the performance, just stick with the stock rockers.
buy and MSD 6AL ignition box (don't bother with the digital-6 or anything fancy. Your not in it for maximum boogie.
Buy an MSD adjustable timing controller. The one that has a **** you can turn and mount it in the passenger compartment.

OK. Parts are all installed. Turn the **** all the way to 15 (IE NO timing retard). It'll idle like a normal cc305 install, which is WAYYY mild. NOW, turn the little magic dial down to something like 7 or 8, pulling about half of the timing out of the motor at idle. Damn thing will sound like a super stocker! Now you can make your rounds in the parking lot to impress the troops and enjoy your lopey cam. Just remember to turn the dial back up to 15 when you leave.

See, you CAN have it all. You just can't have it all all of the time.

Ask me how I know this works. hehe

Dave C.
Quick question about that. Does anyone know if that would work with a DIS-4 ignition system. Cuz this summer I want to put a Delteq on my car and get at DIS-4 system, along with a cam hopefully. And yeah, im NOT after absolute performance! I want a performance upgrade, so prolly HOTCAM or similar, but I also want some BIG cam sound sometimes. This idea sounds AWESOME!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: cam lopeyness

I'm pretty sure you can't use the timing controller with an MSD DIS-4 (or 2). Might wanna give MSD's tech line a call and find out for sure.. you CAN however use the TRC-1 from Crane. Not sure if it'll work with a DIS-4 or not, but I don't see why not since it alters the signal fromt he computer and doesn't muck around with the coils themselves..

TRC-1

The timing trick is kinda fun to mess with, but I'm running an "847" cam now, and it's already got more lope than I can stand sometimes. I use it strictly for taming crappy pump gas we're forced to buy. But it's nice to be able to drive to the track, pump in 5 gallons of 110, and turn up the wick. The car literally goes from running 12.7's and up to running high 11's with the turn of a dial. Don't know what I'll do when I get the bottle hooked up though. Prolly have to figure out a new method of controlling it.

Dave C.