LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cam might need to be replaced. How much is it going to cost to have it replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Re: Cam might need to be replaced. How much is it going to cost to have it replaced?

O.K, got the car away from those garage guys. Thanks for the heads up.

So does anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

While driving it, the check engine light came on. at which time it was noticed that the car had no oil pressure. The car was immediately turned off and the oil level checked and found to be full. Then when I went to restart it, it wouldn't. It just turns over and over without firing.

Where should I begin to look?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Re: Cam might need to be replaced. How much is it going to cost to have it replaced?

Originally Posted by SPEEDYGUN

While driving it, the check engine light came on. at which time it was noticed that the car had no oil pressure. The car was immediately turned off and the oil level checked and found to be full. Then when I went to restart it, it wouldn't. It just turns over and over without firing.

Well if the engine light came on take it to a GM dealer and have them pull the code for you and look it up. That should tell you exactly what is the
problem(s).

Then buy the tools/parts nessesary to fix it and save yourself big $.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 PM

or go to auto zone and they pull codes for free
Old 03-17-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by SPEEDYGUN

I would drain the oil and check for metal shavings with a pen magnet ($3 at Autozone). If no shavings, then I would assume your pick up tube just came off. By the way, if you have a laptop (or desktop you could bring to garage), just get a cable (~$45 a year ago) and scan your car for free. I understand why you gotten "500 results" for a cam search, everybody is changing cams and asking lots of questions related to changing cams. But if you search for a "wiped cam lobe," I bet you would find just a few instances, which indicates that this doesn't happen to often, especially if you a not running some high spring pressure aftermarket springs and some high lift cam