LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cam needed to run low 12's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:44 PM

Re: Cam needed to run low 12's?

run Nitrous I have a full kit ill sell for cheep just pm me if your want i run it on my 97 ss it put my car into 12.01 in the 1/4mile with a 100 shot
Old 01-16-2005, 10:56 AM

WhiteKnight please don't take this wrong way but your time seems a bit slow for that 60ft and mods.What is your track altitude?buddies 94 z has 3.23 gears,1le bellows,flowmaster catback,air induction,airfoil and old bfg drags ran
13.8 at 99mph with a 2.0 60ft.Our track is at 1900 feet.
My 3825 raceweight vert with magnaflow catback and 3.42 gears,1le bellows,tb bypass,airfoil,air induction ran 14.3 at 96mph with 2.18 on nittos.

I was hoping to get low 13s when add my stall ,1.6 rockers and underdrive this season which already have an mabye a high 12 when add some mac headers.

Also considering a cam like you are and so far thinking hotcam,cc 305 or something fairly mellow.

I thought my mph was kind of low and yours seems a bit low for headers too.In my case think its my opti ,lost a water pump last year and mabye in your case its just tuning unless your altitude is also high.I think with a 1.7 60ft even my car would do 13.6 even before adding my new stuff.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:58 PM

I use to run the Hot Cam w/ stock heads ,2800 vig ,4.10 , 26 'ET Streets ...12.2's to 12.09 /111 mph best ..

Then pulled the motor down and put a GM846 cam w/ ported LT1 Heads and ran a best of 11.89 ......Now I have a Joe O cam in my car along a few other changes . Now I just really need to dial my car in . I'm sure some 11.3's or 11.2's are there.

I always felt that the Hot Cam kit was and is a great all around performer and low 12's and even high 11's is possible. But if you want to be done it,go with the GM 846 or GM 847. Both are great cams. Good luck !
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by White Knight
Thanks for the heads up, that was a good post to read? You know how much do the custom grinds go for? I'm thinking i just might go nitrous now.
For that cam to work like it did in Jon A's engine, you need all the bits and pieces in the valvetrain. Figure a grand for parts and you won't be too far off.

If you just want the occasional drag run, nitrous might be your choice.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by White Knight
Maybe i'll just go spray and spray the crap out of it.
Sounds good to me
Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 PM

WhiteKnight please don't take this wrong way but your time seems a bit slow for that 60ft and mods.What is your track altitude?buddies 94 z has 3.23 gears,1le bellows,flowmaster catback,air induction,airfoil and old bfg drags ran
13.8 at 99mph with a 2.0 60ft.Our track is at 1900 feet.
My 3825 raceweight vert with magnaflow catback and 3.42 gears,1le bellows,tb bypass,airfoil,air induction ran 14.3 at 96mph with 2.18 on nittos.

I was hoping to get low 13s when add my stall ,1.6 rockers and underdrive this season which already have an mabye a high 12 when add some mac headers.

Also considering a cam like you are and so far thinking hotcam,cc 305 or something fairly mellow.

I thought my mph was kind of low and yours seems a bit low for headers too.In my case think its my opti ,lost a water pump last year and mabye in your case its just tuning unless your altitude is also high.I think with a 1.7 60ft even my car would do 13.6 even before adding my new stuff.

You are exactly right. I take no offense, I have been asking on this board for years why my car is slow, probably the slowest one on here for the mods. Maybe half my lifters aren't working...lol... i really don't know. No one has ever been able to tell me. I race at sea level!! it's like 100-200 feet maybe, that's on the high side. I have changed everything. I went with the opti-direct cause i thought it was just weak ignition up top. When i get to around 50mph this thing just feels like it doens't go. It's the only LT1 I have ridden in, so i don't know how they are suppose to feel, but i am sure mine doesn't pull as hard as it should. That's why i am planning on at least changing the springs and checking the valvetrain this next summer. It's like no matter what i do I barely drop any e.t. even when i cut a good 60' it's like the car slows down, once it gets rolling. It is one of the most frustrating things in the world......every time i go to the track i am disapointed, since i got the car. it ran like 14.7-14.8 stock, which is low for stock even. Maybe i'll never hit 12's in this thing. I have a electric waterpump going in soon, and some more suspension mods since(brackets, LCA's).....i might cut a 1.6 something and run a 13.4......lmao. Have to laugh, cause it really sucks. Car will launch great, just dies up top. So i figure it must be the valvetrain--or my valves are burnt out and am getting valve float.....i really don't know. Wish someone could tell me. I need a leakdown tester.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:44 PM

I plan on roller rockers too.......i have to do twice the mods to get to 12's than most i guess. I'm just that luckY Man i always get screwed

Really sucks when you think you might break into the 12's and you run a 13.5, almost a 13.6
Old 01-16-2005, 09:16 PM

Well couple things of course..you car is a 94 so what miles are on it..have you ever checked compression..possibly its just tired.I assume you changed out plugs when you installed the delteq.And of course wires.I would also make sure you change the fuel filter and mabye test fuel pumpl.might have a week pump.If someone has run the car empty or very near empty it can damage the pumps they are cooled by fuel.They can be a pain to change but some guys cut the whole in the trunk makes it much simpler.
And not sure if you have any scantools but personally love my scanmaster ,have one in my lt1,ls1 and talon.It lets you monitor in real time and you might be getting some knock and stuff from carbon in there.etc.
You might be pig rich or too lean.You do have programming so assume you might have a scantool.
Thats seems about all it can be and my bet might be on fuel filter or fuel pump or mabye even badly clogged out injectors..ever professionally cleaned them out..? At sea level for sure you should be quick.My buddies car is like 13.5 with alitutude correct for 2000 and sometimes we have much worse than 2000 feet density altitude and almost never better.He would be a low 13 with your 60fts I think for sure.His 13.8 was at 2.00 flat.That awesome 60ft might be reason mph is a bit lower though too.Buddy has never hit 100 don't think just 99mph.
I think my mph is a bit low but compared to his maybe not.I am like 300 pounds heavier he only weighs 130 I weigh 240.And my vert is heavy.subframes,etc.
Anyway mid 13s is still faster than my ls1.Dont' feel bad.My ls1 has a lot of mods and just seems slow.Its m6 with lid,ported tb,ls6 intake,underdrive,catback ,b1 cam..no headers took them off but even with the longtubes it only managed around 13.3 to 13.4.I didn't like the ground clearance or the ticking they made so off they came.Going turbo on the ls1 I think.
Check fuel and scan the car.That might give you some ideas.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM

128,000miles. I see cars with same milage going 12's easily though. Changed fuel filter within the last 6 months, plug wires are less than 6 months. Fuel pump was checked professionally, within 8 months. Injectors have never been professionally cleaned. I run fuel injector cleaner through twice a year, and only use 93. Have a PCM4LESS tune, so isn't running rich or lean. Brandnew plugs. I do know about fuel pumps.....it is true on all pumps low fuel kills them. If it was fuel then why can i cut those 60's??? it has to be in just the top end IMO. I have no scan tools either.

I still think it's in the valvetrain. I guess we will find out in a few months....i will let everyone know if it fixes my problem. Everyone says it can't be the springs, but i am almost 100% convinced that is what it is.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 AM

Fair amount of miles on there.I would check compression and see where its at.Possible still injectors not great even with the bottle stuff twice a year.Think read some guys had problems and couldn't figure it out and it was injectors clogged up.Scanner would be a good thing.You can pick up a scanmaster lt1 for fairly cheap sometimes on the boards.I know a guy that has one currently for sale.Can check for you.You may have knock and stuff happening and even with a custom tune you may sometimes be too rich or lean..weather can affect tuning to..real hot day might get knock but get none on colder days.I like a maf translator for tweaking car even with custom tuning..they can also be cheap on the boards.
And guess it might be weak valves springs at your mileage.Of course another definitive test would be to get it dynoed and wideband analysed.I plan on buying my own wideband this season.Currently closest dyno is 500 miles away but we may be getting a closer one this year although its a mustang dyno but think it can convert to dynojet equivalent numbers.Mustang dynos read lower but are supposedly better for tuning.
And think you could have a good 60ft but still be laying down at the top end if you have clogged injectors or weak fuel pump.And testing fuel pressure at idle is not as good as actual test when car is running full out.A bit of a pain to check you have to run gauge out of hood.
Just some more ideas for you..like I said mid 13s is still not slow.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Yea it's definately getting dyno tuned if i don't figure it out soon. I will check the compression also to see.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM

Having injectors cleaned is a lot of $$$ though. Maybe i'll just buy bigger ones and have them tuned in. I hate to have to pay 200 to have stock injectors cleaned.