LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Camaro Owner To Be

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Camaro Owner To Be

Hey everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself, since I'll be spending most of the time in here. I've already been lurking for a few months. I'm a 19 year old student attending RPI working towards a math and physics major! I'm a huge AMC fan and it's my marque of choice, but through some events uncontrollable to be, I'm soon to acquire a '95 Z/28 convertable from my uncle. It's polo green with just about every option, and has a comfortable 50k miles or so. It's a Flordia car, so it has no rust, but the factory paint job wasn't the greatest and it's gotten a few scratches along the way. Now, I'm an old-car guy, and I love the uncrowded engine bay of my '73 Javelin and the simplicity and tunability of a carb, but I do have some experience with fuel injection (my brother has an '89 Mustang 5.0 convertable that we've done considerable work on, and it's coincidentially from the uncle!) and cramped engine bays. As of now, his car is faster than either the Javelin (mostly stock 304 + 2.73 open rear = major traction problems) or the stock Z/28, so I'll naturally be improving the performance. Money's a little tight right now (okay, a lot tight), so I'll be going for the more bang-for-the-buck mods first, like 1.7 RR, and maybe a 100 shot of giggle gas. Here at RPI we have autocross events every now and then, and I look forward to putting her through her paces. With that in mind, some suspension upgrades are in order as well, especially with the flimsy convertable body. Hopefully I can get consistent enough with the car to be able to put a numerical improvement with power and handling upgrades. However, one thing I'm not looking forward to is the loooong snowy winters here with the big hills and nice RWD and LT1 . Last year I had my 4WD AMC Eagle and went four-wheeling whenever I had the chance, but that's a different story. And so as not to seem long-winded I'll be ending my post now.

P.S. I'm a big anti-rice kinda guy too.