LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

camshaft thrust plate??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM

camshaft thrust plate??

ok so is that the name of the plate with 2 bolts that mounts in front of the cam? and what are the torque specs on it? and how do i torque those bolts...mine are torx bit and idk how i can torque them down...also do i threadlock the bolts?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Camshaft Retainer Bolt 105 lb. in. I use red threadlocker on mine. You use a T30 torx socket.

(above information posted on my website)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Camshaft Retainer Bolt 105 lb. in. I use red threadlocker on mine. You use a T30 torx socket.

(above information posted on my website)
ok thanks shoebox...also is it easy to ruin a cam bearing? i had new bearings installed in my block and i had a friend of a friend mechanic install my cam and pistons....well i dont trust the b@sterd and i pulled the pistons and the crank.... found a bent piston ring..... im gonna pull the cam...is there anyway to tell if somethings wrong by looking at the cam bearings? the motor has only been turned over by hand like 30 times. i just really dont want to spin a bearing and have to pull my motor again since im short on time.. the cam bearing were installed by a reputable machine shop but im just hoping the wanna be mechanic didnt ruin my bearings installing the cam
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by z28beast
found a bent piston ring

I can't even imagine hitting a piston hard enough to get it down in a bore while pinching a ring, if that's what you're saying happened. I would trust NOTHING from the idiot who did that. As far as the cam bearings, remove the cam and visually inspect the bearings with a strong light, and if you have one of those little access mirrors to get down in there that would be good. Also check to verify that the cam will spin freely by hand, that would pretty much rule out a cocked bearing. Check to see if the cam bearing oil holes are lined up with the holes in the block. It may be difficult to make sure the cam bearing oil holes are properly lined up with the oil holes in the bearing webs, but that's where a small mirror will help.

Check the piston with the bent ring carefully. Any gouging or even scratching from the ring should be addressed. How much work did the bent ring genius do on this engine? If he installed the crank or rods, I would R+R to check the bearings...like I said, I would trust NOTHING from him. Easier to find it now, rather than after the engine is installed
Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jasonface

I can't even imagine hitting a piston hard enough to get it down in a bore while pinching a ring, if that's what you're saying happened. I would trust NOTHING from the idiot who did that. As far as the cam bearings, remove the cam and visually inspect the bearings with a strong light, and if you have one of those little access mirrors to get down in there that would be good. Also check to verify that the cam will spin freely by hand, that would pretty much rule out a cocked bearing. Check to see if the cam bearing oil holes are lined up with the holes in the block. It may be difficult to make sure the cam bearing oil holes are properly lined up with the oil holes in the bearing webs, but that's where a small mirror will help.

Check the piston with the bent ring carefully. Any gouging or even scratching from the ring should be addressed. How much work did the bent ring genius do on this engine? If he installed the crank or rods, I would R+R to check the bearings...like I said, I would trust NOTHING from him. Easier to find it now, rather than after the engine is installed

oh for sure buddy....i ordered all new clevite bearings and new rings...it wasnt a big ring he bent justone of the small oil rings in the bottom groove. im having my crank polished just to be safe...i was wondering since he didnt install the cam bearings ( a reputable guy did) how can i tell if there ruined? when i turn the cam it will turn freely but its a little stiff to turn since its full of that thick asembly lube...is this normal? i mean its not hard to turn and i can do it by hand but there is some friction when i spin it....like i said im thinking its just the grease...im just worried he scratched a cam bearing when he put the cam in...and i dont wanna spin a bearing