LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can I beat...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:35 PM

Can I beat...

either a 95 or 96 firebird formula. I mean we both have lt1's and they are both stock i was just wondering who would win in the 1/4 mile. They are both auto's too. Also if the race will be close what can i do to give me a good edge over him but is not a noticeable mod?? I also want to make my car fast and this summer will have some extra cash so any advice will be helpful.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:37 PM

i forgot to mention i have a 94 z28 with 90,000 on it and the other guys formula has over 120,000
Old 03-18-2003, 10:38 PM

I believe that all LT1s until 1997 had 275 horsepower, if that helps. It would be a driver's race.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 PM

from the sound of it you kinda want a mild "sleeper", to beat other stock lt1's i would reccomend doing the performance shift mode(hidden). K&N air filter in stock air box, porting the MAF. and also maybee lighthening up your car by removing the spare tire and jack etc. also, maybee a jet chip. Your car will look 100% stock in every aspect but be faster than stock
Old 03-18-2003, 10:52 PM

The guy has a Formula so he probably already has the performance shift mod. But that doesn’t necessarily make your car any quicker in the quarter.

I wouldn’t recommend porting your MAF. It doesn’t free up very much power and often damages the unit.

Taking out the jack and spare tire is a good idea.

Make sure your car is running properly.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 PM

pull the screen out of the mass air meter. it is in the intake ducting and is held inside the mass air meter with a snap ring. also along with installing a k and n filter in the stock air box, drill it full of holes with a 1-2 inch hole saw (on the before side of the filter, duh) TRUST me, on a sleeper, this is a worth wile mod. Hope this helps, prorac1
Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 PM

You can also do the throttle-body bypass and, more extreme, gut the cat.

Another not visible thing is the LT4 KM, it will help if you are getting false knock.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 PM

Do a Trottle Body Bypass (do a search to learn how to do it) Real easy to do, free, and I very highly doubt they'd be able to pick up on it by just looking at the engine. Supposed to free up 5-7rwhp at the wheels
Old 03-18-2003, 11:33 PM

By the way, I have a K&N filter for the stock airbox. Send me an email with an offer if interested...
Old 03-18-2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Got-LT1
I believe that all LT1s until 1997 had 275 horsepower, if that helps. It would be a driver's race.
Not true in 1996 the LT1's got a dual catalytic converter set-up that bumped the HP to 285 on both the Z-28 and the Trans-Am/Formula if its a 96 your 94 is already the underdog and the mods listed in this thread if you do all of them might get you that 10 HP you are lacking from the factory.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:02 AM

If your racing on the track, right before you get on take off your serpentine belt, It will give you a tenth and everything will be fine but make sure you put it back on as soon as you get done with the run so your alternator can charge your battery.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:02 AM

I think u can do without the LT4 KM, just b/c it doesnt look like u have any big mods. However u can still get false knock either way, but i'd spend the money elsewhere for now.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:23 AM

take the donkey dong off of your inlet tube and make a plug to do in it. thats supposed to be worth a little. as for other invisible mods why not do a set of 1.6 rr's and some springs, should give you power and gain back some in the upper rpms from tired springs if you have float. other than that be sure your rig is in top notch condition. plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, air filter. you could also get a 52mm tb from lpe thats a ported stock unit. they'll never be able to tell without taking it off. make sure your map sensor is in good shape they often catch a lot of buildup. what about boxing your lca's and having some of the relocation brackets installed. along with an air back in one of the rear springs if your car doesnt pull straight if it spins a little. oh and dr's never hurt anybody but the person not using them. and take this seriously remove your floor mat it gets behind the pedal and wont let you hit true wot. other than that throw everything out of the car you dont need. back seat bottoms etc. its only one bolt holdin em down. get a good launch on him and it will be all done with anyhow. but hidden mods are good.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:13 AM

Do the TB bypass and get a 160 thermostat and a manual fan switch,these cars run much better when the engine temp is between 160 - 175.Also do a few practice runs to see how the car launches,if you have alot of wheel spin learn to launch it with as little wheel spin as possible.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:21 AM

define "noticeable mod"? If your looking to make the car faster, the above stuff may help but you won't get much out of them. Most people's first noticeable improvement comes from headers or torque converter.

Not noticeable if you raise the hood:

Torque converter
bigger Y-pipe
1.6 roller rockers
port your stock manifolds
drop in K&N
underdrive pulleys (very hard to see on these cars, get the black ones)
ported heads
stroker motor
rear gears (traction will become a problem though)
weight reduction

not noticeable if you don't pop the hood (above stuff +):

headers (don't gut the cat or everyone will know)
bigger MAF/TB/CAI
electric water pump
nitrous
supercharger or turbo (until you start going, then they will know )

anything that changes the exhaust note like a cam or cat-back is going to be noticeable, but with the stock exhaust you might be able to get away with headers. Anything that makes the car shake the ground and scare little kids will be noticeable (but cool!)

Last edited by magius231; 03-19-2003 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I beat...