LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can I move radiatior to where a/c condenser was?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Can I move radiatior to where a/c condenser was?

Having gotten rid of the compressor almost a year ago to rid myself of the squeal, I finally got rid of the condenser this weekend which got me thinking...

Has anyone moved their radiator forward to where the condenser used to be?

I figure the car could benefit from some new radiator hoses anyways, so if I have to get longer ones, that would be OK. I don't really know if the trans cooler lines are long enough though. And the top radiator cover, I figure I can drill new holes in it and just remount it. If anyone has done this and has info or part numbers for hoses they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

I know the FI guys are all about getting smaller radiators and mounting them vertical, I don't need to do anything that drastic, just figured if there was an easy way to get some more room between the fans and the pullies, it might come in handy for working on the opti or water pump or whatever.
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Seems like a lot of hassle to gain a very small amount of room. The condenser is not that thick. The first time I changed my water pump, I didn't even remove the fans and had enough room.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by car_ramrod
Having gotten rid of the compressor almost a year ago to rid myself of the squeal, I finally got rid of the condenser this weekend which got me thinking...

Has anyone moved their radiator forward to where the condenser used to be?

I figure the car could benefit from some new radiator hoses anyways, so if I have to get longer ones, that would be OK. I don't really know if the trans cooler lines are long enough though. And the top radiator cover, I figure I can drill new holes in it and just remount it. If anyone has done this and has info or part numbers for hoses they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

I know the FI guys are all about getting smaller radiators and mounting them vertical, I don't need to do anything that drastic, just figured if there was an easy way to get some more room between the fans and the pullies, it might come in handy for working on the opti or water pump or whatever.
Thanks.
Just took mine out too, a few days ago, along with the bumper support. After looking at it, there seems to be two layers of metal at the bottom towards the front where the condenser was. Going to re-work that and try and slide the rad forward and down and inch. Shouldn't be that much work. I'll then trim the top of the rad slightly and lean it back for what I want. I'm going to use the LS1 lid with a home made air box on the bottom of it. Then from the two fog light openings (now empty), run some 4" tubing to the airbox for a little ram air effect at speed.
I don't think the rad hoses even need to be changed and I have a B&M supercooler so there is some flexible line there and that won't have to be replaced either.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Seems like a lot of hassle to gain a very small amount of room. The condenser is not that thick. The first time I changed my water pump, I didn't even remove the fans and had enough room.
Wow, I'm surprised that's possible, it looks like the back of the shroud is practically touching the WP housing as is.

Thanks for the good info, I'm gonna take a closer look this weekend and see exactly what it'll take to move it, if it costs too much in time or money, it ain't getting done.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 AM

I moved the rad. AC delete, but, I think I could fit the AC condensor with some re-plumb. I like the added room, and, more air flow/ heat off the front of the engine. Did it winter of 07. B.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn244/mzgp5x/
Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mzgp5x
I moved the rad. AC delete, but, I think I could fit the AC condensor with some re-plumb. I like the added room, and, more air flow/ heat off the front of the engine. Did it winter of 07. B.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn244/mzgp5x/
whatever you do make sure your fans are installed properly. i really dont see the point, seems like more work then its worth. I have no problem doing anything in my engine bay with the fans and rad in, in fact, the only time you need to even pull the rad is for doing a cam shaft. otherwise theirs more then enough room to do whatever you want.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Some have moved the stock radiator into the vertical position... You cant really put it where the condenser was either... I went after market rad and mover vertical, just finished new fan install had to run duals...

Name:  newfans1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  newfans.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  107.9 KB

About 11inches from pump to radiator LOTS OF ROOM!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 94SLUG
Some have moved the stock radiator into the vertical position...
Anyone have pics of this being done? Seems like this wouldn't work, on account of the filler neck, but I would like to see if someone has done this. Thanks.