LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can these stock valve springs handle a big solid roller?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Can these stock valve springs handle a big solid roller?

I'm refering to the valve springs that come with the AFR 210 LT4 race heads in the NON competition package. They're race ready heads. I know that AFR has improved the LT line up a year or so ago, I purchased mine before that improvement was made; not sure if a valve spring change was made as a base upgrade.

I'm major valve train problems and thought this may be the cause. More specific information is in the "Advanced Tech" section, but I'm trying to eliminate this potential cause as a possibility.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Built LT1
I'm refering to the valve springs that come with the AFR 210 LT4 race heads in the NON competition package. They're race ready heads. I know that AFR has improved the LT line up a year or so ago, I purchased mine before that improvement was made; not sure if a valve spring change was made as a base upgrade.

I'm major valve train problems and thought this may be the cause. More specific information is in the "Advanced Tech" section, but I'm trying to eliminate this potential cause as a possibility.
It would help if you were to post the spring specs.

Rich
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

What valve sprigns are they? And what lobes are on your solid roller cam? I'de call up AFR and speak with them.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
It would help if you were to post the spring specs.

Rich
I only know that they're the stock springs that come on AFR 210 race ready heads in the non-competition package. I'm not sure if the springs have been changed since AFR improved the head design about 1-2 years ago.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
What valve sprigns are they? And what lobes are on your solid roller cam? I'de call up AFR and speak with them.

The stock AFR 210 "race ready" springs, 636-650 lift? 248-254 at .050 on a 110 LSA; my engine builder is contacting AFR today and should report his findings to me this afternoon.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 AM

The stock AFR 210 "race ready" springs, 636-650 lift? 248-254 at .050 on a 110 LSA; my engine builder is contacting AFR today and should report his findings to me this afternoon.

I don't know if I would trust an engine builder who had to ask if they were able! He should have a press to see if the springs are adequate for your needs. Even if AFR says they can handle what you need, they could still be worn to bad to be used. JMO.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Hard to believe AFR would install a spring that is good for both a hydraulic valve train, and the typical higher spring pressures of a solid roller valve train. You mentioned lift and duration capabilities, but did not quote the sping pressures.

This is what AFR quotes in the specs for the 210 LT4 heads:

1.550" OD Roller dual valve spring w/ dampener, AFR #8000
225lbs on seat, .710" maximum lift (upgrades available)

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-14-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Quick and easy way to find out is to have the spring pressures tested.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Quick and easy way to find out is to have the spring pressures tested.
very simple if the builder was worth a toot.

check installed height....check the spring, for all the problems this guy is having something is terribly wrong. Like someone has no idea what they are doing.......Is this guy an engine builder or just a mechanic?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Hard to believe AFR would install a spring that is good for both a hydraulic valve train, and the typical higher spring pressures of a solid roller valve train. You mentioned lift and duration capabilities, but did not quote the sping pressures.

This is what AFR quotes in the specs for the 210 LT4 heads:
Those specs are for the latest springs that are currently installed on the newer heads. The tech told me that I had a different spring from the time I purchased my heads. He said the spring is good to .670 lift, and that it should be sufficient for the solid cam (I also gave him specs). But I agree with you that it sounds unlikely that they support the cam I put in. I think the majority of people that use that head are matching it with a smaller speced hydraulic roller.

I was not told the exact spring pressures of the springs that I have, but I'll call them tomorrow and ask.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
very simple if the builder was worth a toot.

check installed height....check the spring, for all the problems this guy is having something is terribly wrong. Like someone has no idea what they are doing.......Is this guy an engine builder or just a mechanic?
He's an engine builder.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

He's an engine builder.
whats else has he built? whats the fastest thing he has built? do alot of people have his name/logo on their cars?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 PM

If I was building a high-zoot solid roller motor (And I have built a few) I'd install the entire matching valvetrain. Why risk dropping a valve into the motor with unknown springs?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
whats else has he built? whats the fastest thing he has built? do alot of people have his name/logo on their cars?
He builds a lot of carbureted big blocks and Pro Street engines. His N/A race car runs 7.20's at just over 190 mph. I just don't want to mention his name and shop on a public forum out of respect for him and his business.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

He builds a lot of carbureted big blocks and Pro Street engines. His N/A race car runs 7.20's at just over 190 mph. I just don't want to mention his name and shop on a public forum out of respect for him and his business.
well if he has done top sportsman motors and that type stuff a little LT1 should have been a walk in the park,

Quick Reply: Can these stock valve springs handle a big solid roller?