LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cant get constant power..Surging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM

cant get constant power..Surging?

hey whats up.. i have a 95 Z28 and i am having an issue with surging at low RPMs in any gear and when i accelerate. i cant seem to figure out what it is. i asked one of my friends and he suggested that it may be my coil or i need some new spark plugs and wires. has anyone else had this problem..or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to try and diagnose the problem
Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Well it could be a number of things, but lets start simple and more importantly the cheaper route of troubleshooting. Obviously that engine needs air, fuel, and spark to run. I would sure thing the air isn't a problem. So fuel or spark...I would start by checking all of your plug wires first, making sure one isn't burnt. If they are in stock location this would be highly unlikely. What about the fuel filter? How many miles are on the plugs, wires, and fuel filter? Has it just started doing this? It could be as simple as bad gas. I got a tank full once and it cause my car to shut off a couple of times, and run like crap otherwise.

After these considerations, I would start to think along the lines of fuel pump going bad, or maybe optispark going bad. From my experience a coil going bad isn't going to cause the car to surge.

Aaron
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 AM

First of all i appreciate the reply..the car has about 117k on it and im pretty sure the wires and fuel filter have never been changed :blah: as for the plugs..i put new ones in when i bout the car about a year ago and at the time it had about 106k on it. it did just start recently doing this..and as for the fuel..i put 93 in it and it could have been bad gas..im on a brand new tank since then so hopefully that is what it is and once i run some fresh fuel through it...it will make things better.
i hope i dont have to get a new opti
Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 AM

If your in no hurry and money is tight, then I would wait a little and hope that it was bad gas. I always used 93 also, however once after filling up the car shut off about 5min. down the road. Started right back up but was down on power and didn't sound right. After I was down to a half tank and filled back up and the problem was fixed. Although, a fuel filter isn't hard to fix and is pretty cheap at your local parts store. I cut mine open to see what it looked like and although it wasn't clogged, it was Black! This would have been with about 85K on the clock.

Aaron
Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM

deal thanks..im gonna go out and buy new plugs and wires tonight and also im gonna check out my fuel filter as well...thanks for the input..i appreciate it!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Mine surges, but I'm pretty sure it's the plugs and wires, cause I've changed them and as soon as I do it's perfect for a few days. If you haven't changed out the fuel filter ever you'll be surprised how much better it will run. It cut down on my surging by a lot.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 AM

I think it was a bad tank of gas!!! i got down about half way and filled it up again and it is running alot better..thanks!!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM

I also have this problem sometimes. However, in my situation it occurs usually when I'm on the highway doing about 50-60mph, and slowly give it throttle. The car will surge and not have any power. When this happens I immediately take my foot off the gas, wait a second, and then step back on it but give it some more juice (taking the rpm's up to about 200-2500 rpm). The A4 kicks down a gear, and the car accelerates perfectly.

At first I was very concerned, but after reading this thread I'm starting to grow suspect of my plugs/wires. The car has a shade over 190,000kms on it and I've owned it since November of '04 without having to change any wires or plugs yet. I was going to hold off and put some new plugs in when I eventually get my headers installed, but if this keeps occuring maybe it will push me to get those headers sooner than I planned just as an excuse to get the plugs done (not a bad thing!). I had my fuel pump replaced about 1.5 years ago, and always keep the tank above 1/4-1/2 full with mostly 92 Octane at Chevron.

Keep me posted, I'm with ya brother!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Just as an update..i ran the tank all the way down to just above empty and im about to go fill it up again with 93. and just incase this makes any difference..its a 6 speed so it does/did it in just about every gear especially at low RPMS. i replaced the fuel filter the other day and i was amazed at how dirty the old one was. it was probly about a 1 lb heavier than the new one compared. after i replaced it it still does it a little bit..not as bad though. i am going to end up changing the plugs and wires anyway because it needs done.
if anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated!!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Check to make sure your intake elbow is on correctly (lip not rolled over underneath) and no intake track leaks between the MAF and the intake. A leak after the MAF will cause surging.